Library for Kindle books

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by jerryskc • May 24, 2012.

1. jerryskc

jerryskcNew Member

Threads:
    Does anyone know if there is a resource available either online or via a physical library to "loan" kindle books like a library does for books? I love my Kindle but I also like to loan books from the library and wondered if there was a way to do both?

2. happyrocinante

happyrocinanteBanned

Threads:
    You need to check with your local library. I use my library to get Kindle books. They use OverDrive but all states and counties might not use the same system. I hope your state has a little better budget than mine, lol. There is sometimes a waiting list of more than 10 people to get an e-copy of a book. I once saw one book that said it had 150+ people on the waiting list! :eek: That is just crazy! Sometimes it is easier to do an interlibrary loan if your library doesn't have a physical copy of the book. :)

#2May 25, 2012
    Last edited: May 25, 2012
  3. GGGuardian

GGGuardianMember

Threads:
    Doesn't kindles website offer E-books?

4. meieden

meiedenNew Member

Threads:
    As happyrocinante indicated, your local library may use the OverDrive system to allow you to check out kindle books from an online digital library. Either check with them in person or on their website. The system is somewhat annoying though, because someone may finish a book in 2 days, but the book remains checked out for 2 weeks straight. If you're on the waiting list for that book, that means it takes much longer for you to be able to check out the book than it would be for a print book (where someone could return it to the library early).

Another option is the Amazon Lending Library for Amazon Prime users. You pay $75 for a year and have unlimited access to some of their streaming videos and their entire lending library.

5. adamnawroc

adamnawrocNew Member

Threads:
    Another option is ebook fling.

When you lend a book you're given credit to borrow books from other users. Ebook fling matches you up while the transaction actually takes place through Amazon's system. The only downside is you can't lend the same book twice.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My local library uses Overdrive to allow users to check out books. It would be nice if you could checkout moves also using the same system.

7. nms1234

nms1234New Member

Threads:
    Also, if you are an amazon prime member you can borrow a book per month, though not all titles are available to be lent. Our local library also loans ebooks using Overdrive. The problem I have found is that supply has not kept up with demand; the library's ebooks are always checked out!

8. Nakhash

NakhashMember

Threads:
    Amazon runs a site called Booklending.com. It's safe and convenient. Since Amazon has access to our libraries through our "Manage Your Kindle" page they're able to get your book back if you lend one out and can resolve any problems. You can both lend and borrow ebooks (not all are lendable but you'd be surprised what is available) and you can keep them for 14 days. You get emails letting you know when a lender is available, someone want to borrow one you've made available, a 3 day notice that your loan is nearly over and email when a book you loaned is returned.

There is also an email subscription service called Ereader News Today that sends a daily list of low-priced and free ebooks through Amazon.

9. niceness8000

niceness8000Active Member

Threads:
    I have an ebook on amazon.com. When I was putting it up there, I was asked if the book may be loaned out. I selected "yes." Amazon.com does offer the option to loan books out, but the publishing authors must approve of it. I don't know how they handle mainstream publishing (which is what I assume you want). I believe you should at least look into it.

10. retnam

retnamMember

Threads:
    I've used Overdrive through my library. There's a limited selection, only 1 copy of each book, and the checkout time is only 2 weeks. It's an okay service, but I might just purchase the books I really want to read. I'm so bad at reading with a deadline. I like to take my time and read a topic when I feel like it.

11. Zaturo

ZaturoMember

Threads:
    I haven't been to a real library in a few years now. That sounds really cool to be able to get "any" book into a Kindle. Would be really neat if we could scan books directly into a Kindle. It would be like a barcode scanner, but for books.

12. SuperSecretSanta

SuperSecretSantaNew Member

Threads:
    I can vouch for the Kindle Lending Library as well. It may seem limiting, but it's really not. When you take a look at the offerings and the flexibility they have in regards to returns/check-ins, it is quite a generous offering. Personally, I don't have as much free time to read as I'd like, and so I never feel rushed when reading from the library. I've also found (and purchased) a couple of great series which I wouldn't have discovered if I hadn't first sampled them from the library.

13. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    I get books from my local library. Yes the waitlists can be long, but our library only loans out books for 2 weeks, so the waitlist moves fast.