Libreoffice, A Free Alternative To Microsoft Office

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Beast_Titan • Feb 20, 2017.

1. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Microsoft office 2016 version costs around $200 for the home version alone. Right now I am going to suggest an office software that is free. It is a great alternate for Microsoft office and it is free of charge despite of having regular updates. You are definitely going to save a lot of money with this software. The LibreOffice files are actually compatible with Microsoft office so that is another plus why this freeware is awesome.

It is lightweight and it is 100 percent free.

2. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    If this is the same with Open Office for I have been using this for several years as a replacement of my expired MS Office, it is indeed could compare to MS Office. It has a similar Word, Excel, PowerPoint, among others. It is owned by Sun or Oracle Corporation. And I have learned lately that OpenOfffice is being discontinued. Is LibreOffice is the same with OpenOffice?

3. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    It is like open office but it is still available and it kept on getting updates. I did like open office but after it discontinued, it stopped getting updates. Libreoffice is a great free alternative because it kept on getting updates and innovation. It reminds me a lot of Gimp which is another very useful free software. It works for both Windows and Linux. it is also easier to make PDF's with this software, So Ebook creators can use it too.

This video explains why it is better:

4. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have heard of LibreOffice which means free office software. In fact I was offered an installer late last year. But I declined because I have concrete plans of buying a new computer. And if that new computer materializes then it is LibreOffice that I will install. My present computer has a licensed MS Office so I have no use for the free license for now. But it's heartening to know that there are softwares with free license for the benefit of ordinary mortals like me.

5. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I downloaded LibreOffice to try it since I'm using Office most of the time. I tried it but I can't seem to like it for some reasons. The UI are almost the same as Microsoft and WPS but I find it a bit confusing to use so I went back to WPS. I had MS Office but it's the trial version so when it expired, I looked for an alternative and stumbled to WPS so I gave it a shot and it was actually good. I've been using WPS since then and uninstalled LibreOffice.

6. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    Libreoffice is indeed good in terms of the usage. And there are some of the people who are moving from the MS Office. And the thing is that people need to understand that there are some really options out there. I guess more and more people are using the openoffice and libreoffice. I think this software definitely has some really good future. Though Google docs is having lot better days with it there as well.

7. serbog

serbogMember

Threads:
    Actually, I'm more of a fan of WPS Office, which is also free. For some reason there is also a paid version on Windows, which doesn't really do anything I think, but it is absolutely free on Linux and Android (not sure about iOS and Mac). It has a smooth design and in my opinion it's even better than MS Office.