Lifespan of a New Laptop

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by wvboarder • Sep 4, 2014.

1. wvboarder

wvboarderMember

Threads:
    When you buy a new laptop how long do you expect it to run well before it starts to show lag or a need for upgrade? I just got one but due to random circumstances they usually don't even last me a year. So just wondering if anyone had an estimated timeframe.

2. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I use laptops only for work: editing documents, writing and sending e-mails. Because of this I don't need a powerful laptop and I expect the one I'm currently using to last a few good years. Most of the money I invest in my desktop PC since that's where I play games or watch HD movies, thus the need for powerful hardware. So for me a laptop 'lasts' around 4 years if I'm to look at how often I buy a new one. It's pretty expensive to buy a new one each year, I wonder what those random circumstances you mention are :confused:

3. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Personally I get about two years out of a laptop before it needs replacing, but that is normally because I've dropped it one too many times, I'm a very clumsy person.

My friends and family bring me their laptops every couple of months to clean up, some of them have had theirs for a few years because of the cleaning I do for them. I should start charging. :)

4. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    We have been surprised that our new laptop is beginning to show signs of ware after only 2 years. I guess that means its not new anymore but our previous laptops were all used and they lasted for as long as 8 years! I don't know if it depends on the brand name or on how much downloading you are doing. Our laptop has become very slow and the screen has begun to go black as if its a wiring problem. Its an HP and we are really happy with it but we have gotten a new laptop because we just don't trust this one is going to last us.

5. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on how you use it. If you're just browsing the web with it and doing word processing it's going to last long without lags or upgrades not unless you install applications that will cause it's downfall.

I think the average laptop will last you about 2 - 3 years without any major upgrades granted than the laptop is fast enough. So far mine is going for it's third year with me and other than the occasional annoyance of having to clean it every time it still runs perfect, even better than when I first purchased it. Maintenance is the key my friend.

6. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I'm expecting brandnew laptops to lasts between 3 to 5 years. Because I got one that's been with me for more than 3 years and still using it efficiently. Only the batteries have been replaced, all other parts are still original including the software/applications. I agree with Beccagreen, proper maintenance is really the key if you want your laptop to last long. =)

7. EvanCross19

EvanCross19Member

Threads:
    I have went through many laptops since 2004 when I had bought my first one. Each one last from 2-4 years. In today's market I would say you could get your laptop to last around 4 years before you may have to replace a minor part on it. If you do replace a cheap part, then you could get an extra year or two out of it before something major breaks down, leaving you with no other option but to replace it.

Make sure to unplug it when the battery is fully charged and let it run all the way down before charging it again. If you make sure to always have something to set it on so that it can breathe and stay cool that will help the longevity of the laptops life. Also, setting it on a desk or a book while it's in your lap will keep pressure off the charger and you won't have to replace that little power supply where you plug into your laptop. Besides the laptop's battery, that is one of the most common problems that happen to laptops after many years of use.

#7Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  8. Thrix

ThrixMember

Threads:
    I have a habit of putting up a fresh copy of Windows 7 each 6 months or so, and that keeps all of my computers fresh and durable.

I use cloud storage so I don't have to worry about losing documents or important files. And I enjoy refreshing my system once in a while, so it's all good.

9. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Most laptops are bound to be useful for 2-3 years that's the average before you have to make some major upgrades to the system. If it's a fairly beefy laptop with very powerful parts and specs that can run solid games or applications that heavily require a lot of computing power then you can bet it will last 5-6 years.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Ever since I used my first Mac I've come to expect a lot more out of my laptops. I'm currently using one that I've been using for four years and it's not even the latest model but it still runs very well and has almost no lags. It only ever gets slow if I fill up the hard drive too much but as soon as I transfer all the files onto an external storage device and free up enough space then it works fine again. It's definitely worth the more expensive price tag in my opinion, and I'll probably buy a Mac again on my next purchase and expect the same results.

11. Canadianlover

CanadianloverMember

Threads:
    I've ended up breaking a few laptops but I managed to fix my most recent one. I haver a sturdy case that when I fell on my loop the screen mairafuaslly did not break and only had to fix the bottom part. I plan on connecting my old chrome book to a Tv when I get the money.

12. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I have to say it depends on what you do with it and how often you use it. I dont use my laptop much and it has lasted me 3 years and it still running. I set my laptop to run automatic updates and I let it do this I clear the cookies,temp files, and cache often and try not o down load any unknown sources.

13. megadelayed

megadelayedMember

Threads:
    It all depends on what laptop you bought, if you have brought a laptop for a cheap price and low specifications, then obviously that laptop won't be as fast as a higher end one with a higher price tag and probably will not 'last as long' depends on what you are doing. I find that buying a mid/high range laptop from the last generation is the best balance between price and performance, and most of the time, they will tend to last longer with the extra performance they have on hand.

14. wowtgp

wowtgpActive Member

Threads:
    I brought my laptop back in early 2011. It worked really well for almost 2 years before showing any signs of lag or anything. But after servicing, it started working well again for almost 6 more months. Fast forward to 2014, I am using the same laptop without any major issues. I might have to change the fans as it's getting a bit noise down there. Apart from that, though, there is not much else I am worried about.