Light Bulbs

Discussion in Home & Garden started by TheKnight • Jan 24, 2017.

1. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    Have you seen those light bulbs that are claimed to consume 80% less electricity than a normal light bulb does? They do cost a lot more than the standard light bulbs, though. I'd like to know if the savings are noticeable or worth the investment.

For those of you that have purchased electricity-saving light bulbs, can you share your experience? Would you recommend purchasing them instead of the standard light bulbs?

2. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Yes. LED lights are huge energy savers but equally costly. I have bought a few and use them in locations which can't do without light like the washrooms. They are totalky worth threir price. Tube lights are better for illumination and good energy savers for big areas like a sitting room or bedrooms.

In areas with less night usages like storeroom I still use the standard light bulbs that are cheap but consume lots of electricity. That way I manage electricity cost effectively.

3. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We still don't buy the LED bulbs because they cost around 3 times that of the CFL - compact fluorescent lamp that are somewhat elongated bulbs in shape. The CFL is a big improvement from the incandescent bulbs of yore and I deem it thrifty enough to use. We have several overnight lights and we are used to the consumption of the CFL. But when the cost of LED lights go down, we will shift to that for sure.

4. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I think LED bulbs are good than CFLs. Average life span of a CFL is 1-2 years and that of LEDs it can be up to ten years or more. A CFL is usually ten times pricier than normal incandescent bulbs in our country but an LED bulb is twenty times costlier. But keeping in mind its life span I think LED is quite economical.

Moreover, LED bulb also saves you a lot of electricity bills. A 9W LED bulb can give more light than a 100W incandescent bulb where you have to use at least 15W-20W CFL to get that effect. So buying LED is an one time investment that makes some sense.

5. Jessika

JessikaActive Member

Threads:
    Over here CFLs and LEDS are compulsory over standard bulbs. We've used LEDs in areas which are hard to replace and where the bulb will be on for long periods, like our porch and outdoor lights. It does save money. When we used them in areas where the bulbs are turned on or off frequently or where we have dimmer switches, they really don't last long enough to make the extra cost worth while.

6. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use the CFL bulbs. I don't know how they affect my electric bill, but the cost of electric from light bulbs is pretty minimal compared to the cost of other major appliances and heating. These are just some of the things that drive up the electric bill. When it comes to home use when the LED bills come down in price, I will consider them.

7. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Right now I have changed all the lights in the house to LED or light-emitting device bulbs. I have saved so much money as compared to my previous light bulbs like incandescent and florescent bulbs. I would admit that those bulbs couldn't stay long as compared to ICB and FB. At least I could save more electricity though the price of LED bulbs are dearer.

8. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    I have some of those lights that are big power savers, but in this process we lost the power concept we used to have, meaning, I bought really weak lamps and the lighting in my house became too weak. Just this week I had to buy new lamps to restore a more adequate luminosity lol.