Light Foods For Summer

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Verity Darkwaters • Jun 19, 2016.

1. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    Is it just me or does anyone else hate heavy foods during the summer? Where I live it is hot and muggy all the time and heavy hot food just makes my stomach hurt. I mean it is okay once in a while, but I prefer a lot of salads may it be fruit or veggies. I usually make a lot of veggie and fruit breads to eat for breakfast, yogurts, sandwiches, just light foods.

Does your diet change in the summer? What are some of the foods you eat if it does change?

2. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I definitely cook differently in the summer months than in the winter months. Where I live we have a true snowy winter form November to April to it's comfort food like pastas, stews, soup. Hearty food to keep you warm. In summer it can get very hot and humid, so it's lighter fare for sure. I make salads a lot more. Our favourite is a Greek salad with cucumbers, grape tomatoes, red onions, feta cheese. Since there is a nice selection of fruit in season I'll make fruit salad more, smoothies, or even fruit kabobs for dessert. I find I can save money buy getting food a local farmer's market. I'll plan my meals by what's in season. We bbq a lot more, so I think of meals that can be grilled and serve with salad, pasta salad or grilled veggies.

3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Know what you mean when it's hot and sticky and you don't want to cook nor eat heavy for a cool fruit smoothie is enough for the afternoon! We like to eat lighter for dinner for that's the time right before bedtime and watching television too so we try to eat light. We love pies made with splenda and no sugar added ice cream too for the summer! Sandwiches and chilled fruits are a favorite at home too!

4. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I tend to eat a lot more pasta salads, and foods that can be easily grilled outside in the summer time. It gets much too hot to cook hot foods in here in the summer, and the lighter the foods the better. I find these to be the best options when it comes to cooking in the heat. I like to just eat light, as warm or hot foods, simply seem to make me hotter, and I sure don't want that. It gets quite hot and humid here and I want to be cool.

5. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    Yes! Heavy foods are not for summer. I like to eat fruits and drink lots of fluids. Watermelon, grapes, oranges, cold mangos are the perfect summer food. Second best summer food would be chicken salad with lots of cold ice tea. YUM!

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No my diet doesn't change at all, in fact whatever the season I eat the same foods and my appetite hasn't changed at all too!

#6Jun 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  7. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I definitely prefer lighter foods during the warmer months. I especially like cold foods and stuff that is refreshing. Your fruit and veggie salads sound like they would hit the mark. Those are the types of things I like too.

You can also save a lot of money eating lighter fare like this, since lots of fresh fruits and vegetables are cheaper when they are in season. If you grow your own, even better (and bigger savings). I'm also usually gifted some extra veggies (especially squash and zucchini) from friend's and family's gardens, which is always nice.

Free is about as cheap as you can get, and squash and zucchini are two of my favorites.

8. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    We like to make lots of soups and all kinds of salads (green, tuna, potato, egg) during hotter days.
    It is not so heavy on your stomach, you stay refreshed and do not have to worry about getting hungry or thirsty that fast.
    Apart from that, soups and salads provide many servings!

9. bonzer

bonzerActive Member

Threads:
    Firstly in summer, we consume lots of fluids like tender coconut water, barley water, all kinds of vegetable and rice soups in our part of the world. I go easy on rich, creamy fats and pulses. Mangoes, watermelon and many other mineral laden fruits and vegetables take the front seat.

10. surlaw

surlawMember

Threads:
    It depends! I still enjoy a nice and hearty dinner in the warmer months but I am more inclined to have fruits and veggies during the day. I make chickpea tuna salad sandwiches (where you use chickpeas in place of the tuna) and they're my go-to summer lunch. They don't take long to make and they're really cool but filling.

For breakfast, I like having fruit smoothies. Summer really is the best time for smoothies, and you can sneak in a cup or two of greens without even tasting it! I definitely feel healthier in the summer. :p