Lights In A Dark House

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by mythman • Mar 17, 2015.

1. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    When I wake up in the morning, I turn the lights on on-the-way from my bedroom to the kitchen (just the hallway-light & the dining-room light ... I know I can find my way in the dark; but we have a cat, and I don't want to step in a 'surprise' and track it through the rest of The House).

I know it's just fractions-of-cents' difference, but would it be more-fiscally & -ecologically responsible of me to just use a flashlight rather than leaving those lights on for the seconds of wasted energy?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Nah. I think you would spend more on replacing batteries than it's worth. So long as you are turning them back off and not leaving them on all day, I don't think it's a big deal.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you have LED lights, then you can leave one on every hour of the day for a year without spending more than $30 to $40 in electricity costs. It's not going to make a huge difference choosing a flashlight over the regular lights, and Jessi is right that you might even spend more money in the batteries for the flashlight than you would with electricity.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think if it's only for that purpose then you'd ultimately be spending a lot more on the flashlight and batteries, but flashlights are always good to have around anyway so it's not entirely a loss. If you are really set on it and don't want to spend too much then consider getting the wind up type that doesn't need batteries. This Way you'd only need to wind up for the few times you need it instead of having to constantly buy new batteries.

5. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I don't find anything wrong with what you do. I actually have to sleep with the light on in my room. I have a problem that if I sleep in a dark room I tend to have something called night terrors. No seriously I actually see things in the dark when I am half awake and half asleep. So, for years now I have had to sleep with the light on. Anyway, I don't find any problem with using light to guide you, why use a flash light unless it absolutely necessary. You can't be using that much electricity in performing this task.

6. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't worry about having the light on for that short period of time. I use a night light in my kitchen, as when I wake up at 4:00 AM, it is still pitch dark in the house. My night light is sensitive to the light, so as soon as the dawn breaks or when the light in the kitchen turned on, it turned itself off.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Unless you have a rechargeable battery, then I think that it's ok to use a flashlight in place of turning the lights on, but if you are only gonna use the lights for no more than 2 minutes everyday, then I guess it's ok to just turn them on, it won't make much of a difference in your electric bill.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Have you considered getting a rechargeable LED flashlight? They are quite cheap and once fully charged you can use the flashlight for over a month.

Since you'll have it on only for a couple of minutes, I suppose it might take longer before you recharge it. Not only would it be cheaper but it would probably save you some money too.

9. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Do they sell LEDs that screw into regular light-sockets?

I had one of those (that came on a keychain), but it broke.

I have 'those' if I drink coffee after 5-or-6 pm (well, I don't know if I 'see' anything; but I scream like a banshee :eek:)

10. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, of course! LED light bulbs screw into normal light-bulb sockets. Now the only issue with LEDs is their upfront cost because they cost around $10 each right now, while regular bulbs might cost a buck or two. They use a lot less energy compared to regular bulbs, which is their true benefit.

LEDs have a long-term benefit of the cost-savings, and they last around 50,000 hours (while turned on). It's a cost that you make up after a few years of owning the LED, so you have to consider the upfront cost.

Still, I like LEDs because I've had a few of them for a year with no problems and no signs of breaking or stopping anytime soon.

11. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually just walk in the dark, even though I have several cats, and yes, I've stepped in surprises, and am never happy about it. It sounds as if I could change my ways and turn on the lights, though, since the cost doesn't seem to be a factor. I've never thought of carrying a flashlight with me, although sometimes I do carry my iPod, and just turn the screen on, for a little light.

12. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think you really need to bother with a flashlight. I'm pretty sure you'd end up spending more on batteries to power it so as long as the lights aren't left on for longer than needed, you'll be fine.

13. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    Have you thought about doing one of those night lights that you can plug in? They can stay in all night and don't use hardly any electricity, the lights themselves are pretty cheap too. It would be a lot more convenient than carrying a flashlight around and easier on the use of electricity.

14. Brenda Barnousky

Brenda BarnouskyActive Member

Threads:
    We had our house built a year ago. In the kitchen and laundry room, they installed high up fixtures and put in LED bulbs. I asked my contractor how I would ever be able to change those bulbs and he said I wouldn't have to for about 30 years! He was serious! I sure hope he's right. They give out a great amount of light.