Limited editions

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Gelsemium • Jun 25, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Here in my country we have the most famous ice-cream brand (Olá) that every year makes new ice-creams, some of them of limited edition. I think this is a great idea because if the products are good, they continue and if not, they don't. How do you feel about these limited edition products? Do you agree and think they make sense?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I noticed that those limited edition ice creams are always more expensive than the regularly produced ones, and they only make those special flavors depending on the season, like if it's summer, they make those flavors that are suited for summer. I just don't buy ice cream often enough to know if they continue making that certain flavor whether it became a hit or not. I really don't mind buying those limited edition products as long as they are reasonably priced and they taste good.

3. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Actually the ice-creams have the price of regular ice-creams. I eat ice-creams quite often because I have kids and they get me to buy one for myself too haha, so I do know very well what the offer is. I think these limited editions are in fact more for grown ups because I have never seen a kid eating this, I guess it's just good marketing to sell to the parents too.

4. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Buying limited edition products is a great way to try new things. The manufacturer tests the market while you get to be one of the first that tries a certain something. As long as the price is fair and the product not too expensive, I don't have anything against limited edition products. The only downside is that you may became hooked on the flavor of that limited edition ice-cream and maybe, just maybe, you'll never get the chance to taste that again since it never reaches mass production :p

5. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yes, that something horrible that I think whenever I eat my favorite limited edition ice-cream, when will it end? :D Now speaking seriously, we had a case of an ice-cream that was discontinued and than they started producing it again due to popular demand, but I don't think it's a very common case. You're right about the companies testing the market, it's a good thing for both sides.

6. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I think these limited editions are a great way for companies to test out new flavours which otherwise would be too crazy to put out there.
    Just the other day I tried out one of this year's limited edition flavours: the Mojito icecream, and I'm glad it's limited because I really didn't like it, the flavour wasn't too bad but it had actual peppermint inside, which made it really unpleasant to eat.
    But I've also had some great limited editions which I wish they kept for longer.

7. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I have tried that one Strystar and it's exactly like you say, the ice-cream in itself it's not bad, but at the same time what are those peppermints leaves doing there? It's like, bite a bit of the ice-cream and spit the peppermint leaves out, it's pretty much insane because I can't imagine anyone that will enjoy to eat those leaves or buy the ice-cream a second time...

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    They make limited time offers for ice cream flavors here as well and I love to buy and test out new ones that appeal to me. I'm not really all that adventurous when it comes to ice cream flavors though so I usually just end up buying it once to taste it then never seeking it out again. Fast food chains also do this and I love it when they do because most of the time I'm already tired of their original menu.

9. Gelsemium

Threads:
    They are really smart, just recently I noticed that one of the ice-creams of last year's limited edition returned and they made specific advertising for it. It was a set of five and most likely they selected the one that sold more and advertised it exactly like that, your favorite Magnum Kiss is back, how clever is that?

10. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Well when it comes to food products I'm not really a fan of limited editions not unless it's a really popular brand. Come to think about it I never really cared much for limited editions or anything.

11. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I like limited edition products for snacks and such. It can be an interesting way to try new flavors or break out of a rut. The limited time span gives you a bit of novelty too, like pumpkin lattes at the coffee house. An ice cream shop by me makes peppermint candy cane ice cream during the holidays and it's so good. I wish I could buy it year round!

12. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Apart from Olá ice-creams, I don't see many other brands making this limited editions. I recall McDonalds for example, just recently they made the world cup burger and they usually have a different burger for every day of the week. This is good not only to get more people there more often, but also to see the best selling ones.

13. erik120

erik120Active Member

Threads:
    I have tried quite a few limited edition products from a various array of consumer products, ranging from soda to gum, ice cream, candy, chocolates, crisps though arguably there was a great limited edition soda some years back of fanta in my area, I forgot what it was called but it was awesome and they never made it again.

14. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yeah, I know that feeling, I feel sorry when they make something I really love, but than it disappears. They are currently making that with some Compal juices we have in my country, a Costa Rica pineapple juice that is awesome, but sadly I feel it's going to last a few more weeks, what can I do buy buy it right?