Lipstick Won't Stick?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by keytcee • May 18, 2015.

1. keytcee

keytceeMember

Threads:
    I don't know if other people have this problem as well but I hope someone can help me out with this. I'm a huge lipstick lover and I pretty much hoard a lot of lipsticks even if I don't use them (I just like having loads of lipsticks in my collection). But I've been having a weird problem with applying lipstick on my upper lip ever since I started wearing makeup way back. There's no problem when I apply lipstick on my lower lip. It looks really nice and I love how a lot of colors fit my skin tone but when I apply lipstick on my upper lip, it doesn't stick that well. I'd have to apply it several times to get the color I got on my lower lip which I only applied one time. I tried searching online about it and it seems that I'm quite alone in this issue. It's more frustrating when I try soft gradient lips and I get a really nice gradient look on my lower lip but the color won't stick on my upper lip.

Does anyone know what I can do or if you or someone you know has experienced this as well?

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I have a friend who has this problem too, exactly this one actually since she told me her upper lip always was a bit of a pain to get completely covered in lipstick. I think the way she solved it was to get a good brand of lipstick that cost a lot more than the regular ones you could get at the drugstore, and from what I know I think she sees it as being a good purchase regardless of the extra cost since it not only applies easier but also it looks a bit nicer and stays on for longer.

3. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I have the reverse problem sometimes. To this day I’m not sure if it’s because my upper lip might be slightly more pigmented than the lower, or maybe it’s a touch drier which allows lipstick to adhere better, or both. And it’s more prominent with some lipsticks than others. I’ve found that mattes or semi-mattes give me this problem more often than cremes, even with the pricier brands (MAC Dubonnet always applies more evenly on me than MAC Rebel, for example) so you may want to look into the finish of your lipsticks. I find cremes more forgiving in general, so they’re usually among my favorites.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow ladies, this is new to me. I have never even heard of anything of that sort. I've now got a complex and will have to check, just in case I'm not aware of it. I tend to mix up my lipsticks, I have both lower end and pricier versions and I can't say I've noticed this problem. I have Mac, Estee Lauder, Body Shop, Avon and they all seem fine.

5. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I'm with Lushlala on this one. I don't think I've ever heard of such and it's difficult to imagine why lipstick would adhere to one lip and not the other. As far as just helping the lipstick to adhere and keeping it on for longer in general I used to use a product by Elizabeth Arden called Lip Fix. It's gotten to be pretty pricey stuff, though, so I don't buy it any longer.

It's a shame. It's a great product and a little goes a long way, but it still got priced out of my range. It might be that there is a similar product out there now that costs less but I'm not aware of it if there is.

6. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is also my first time hearing such a concern about lipstick. The way I see it, two reasons lie before you: 1) the lipstick is a defective product or of poor quality, and 2) there's something on your lips that prevents lipstick from sticking on the surface. Have you tried a different brand of lipstick? If after using another brand the results are the same, then perhaps it's safe to conclude that your lips must be the problem. It's not advisable to apply lipstick on excessively moist lips. Try drying them first.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The best way to apply lipstick and as I taught it on my old days as a make-up artist is to apply foundation to the lips, then powder. Next, apply lip liner to the entire area, outline first and then fill in. Then you apply lipstick, blot, powder and then apply again.

8. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I know someone who has the same problem. I agree with Theo. Try applying foundation then some powder on your upper lip before applying the lipstick. It will help the color stick. :) If it doesn't work, try those expensive, stay-on lipstick brands.

9. keytcee

keytceeMember

Threads:
    Well it's nice to know that I'm not alone in this! I guess getting a better brand of lipstick would make some difference since I haven't tried doing that. I'm a bit stingy so when I see a really expensive product I immediately put it away. I should really learn how to invest in good products soon. I don't think buying everything for a cheaper price will give me the results I want. Thanks for this!

10. keytcee

keytceeMember

Threads:
    I also have to add something, though.

Matte and semi-matte lipsticks are quite okay on my upper lip. They don't apply as easily as on my lower lip but they're not much of a problem. Not like how my cream lipsticks and lip tints are. I'm totally into Korean style makeup so I really love the gradient look on my lips but I can only do that with lip tints. Sadly, my lip tints refuse to stick on my upper lip. As in REFUSE. I put some on my upper lip and it doesn't even stay there, it's just on my lip and when I smack my lips together it transfers to my bottom lip. I guess it's because it's wet or it's liquid-y but how come other people have no problem with it and I do? I've been thinking about it and I think it can also be my skin? I really have no idea but thank you for all the help! :D

11. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Oh you know what, I avoid lip tints and stains and it’s because I can never get consistent results. With more opaque lipsticks I’m probably the only one who would notice the occasional subtle difference in application, but lip tints/stains… I think I’m just not compatible with those. Unless maybe they’re pricier, but I don’t care enough for them to shell out.