Liquid Or Solid Soap?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by JulianWilliams • Jan 27, 2015.

1. JulianWilliams

JulianWilliamsMember

Threads:
    I know liquid soap is more hygienic because you don't touch the whole thing but for some reason I really don't like them. I find them to be kind of oily and that they don't remove the dirt properly. They're also more difficult to rinse off of your hands.

2. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer bar soap. I like it because they last longer and I do think they suds up better than most of the liquid soaps. I also do not want to contribute to resistant bacteria, so I don't ise antibacterial soap at home. I just wash thoroughly the way it's always been done. A germ down the drain can't cant hurt you.

3. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer liquid soap because it is neater - I don't like cleaning the soap scum from the dish when I use bar soap. Although in the shower I like bar soap fine. But at the sink a jar of liquid soap looks neater and is easier to keep clean.

I am not positive, but I think they are changing a lot of the previously antibacterial soaps to just plain liquid soaps. For example, I know that Bath and Body Works brought out a new formula without the antibacterial ingredients. I feel like they did it really slyly too, like I don't think people even realize their new soap is no longer antibacterial.

4. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Both, actually. I like to have the choice depending on how I feel? I like the smell of my liquid soap and I like that we can put it in a pretty dispenser, but sometimes I just feel like having a bar of soap in my hands.

I'm not sure if it's normal or weird. I really just like options.

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like both, I use the liquid soap at the sink when I wash and for visitors and the bar soap in the bath and shower. I think the bar soap last longer and I feel cleaner after washing with a bar of soap into of the liquid.

The bar soap is not as drying to my skin also.

6. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    I generally use shower gel, though I've been using a solid bar recently. I got a bar of Black Soap Shea Butter for free, so I've been using that when the shower gel I normally use ran out. The Black Soap is nice because it makes my skin feel soft and smooth, which is great during the winter. :D

7. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    I have go ten so I use the liquid soap in the kitchen for hand-washing while cleaning and gardening, but use solid soap in the shower and here is why. I noticed that the drain in the shower was running slower, the plumber told me it is because of the liquid soaps that people use, they go down the drain but build up faster unless you use a lot of hot water to flush it. He told me you are better to use bar soap because there is not as much residue as the combination of liquid soap and shampoo. Since I do not want to pay for a plumber I guess it is a better choice. Bar soap in the shower for me.

8. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    When it comes to savings solid bar soaps are definitely the cheaper option. It doesn't have to be dirtier than liquid soap as well, just invest in a cheap soap rack which you can keep in a dry, relatively airy part of your bathroom.

9. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    They both serve a purpose. In my bathroom, I tend to prefer bar soap because I feel like bar soap gives the hands a cleaner result, and that's what I want anytime someone comes out of my bathroom, especially if their next stop is the kitcheno_O.

Liquid soap, I tend to use that more in the kitchen, where a stronger soap isn't necessary. Liquid soap is cleaner in it's presentation, unless you get a really good soap dish for the bar soap.

10. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    I think, using liquid soap is more expensive than using the bar soap. Just like the other posters, I would prefer using the bar soap in the bathroom.. and the liquid soap in the kitchen.

11. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I much prefer shower gel over a bar of soap. I can't even remember the last time I used soap! I think I probably used it last when I was a child. Soap bars tend to last longer but shower gels are easier, more hygienic to use. I think also soap are meant to have more acidity or alkalinity, not sure which; but I'm sure I read that somewhere!

12. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like antibacterial hand wash. It's less messy plus you get the reassurance that you've properly sanitized your hands. I use it in the kitchen as well as the bathroom - I think it's vital to have a good handcleaner for when you've been touching raw meat.

13. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hate hate hate solid soap, and when I look back on my childhood and think of the times that I used solid soap to wash my hands or clean my body in the bath, I cringe, and wonder why adults would do such a thing to me lol. The reasons that I prefer liquid soap over solid soap is because there is less transference of germs involved.

14. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I don't like the liquid soaps, antibacterial or not. They don't lather as well as bar soaps. I find that I was always adding more to get a thick lather. Also they left my hands so dry that I have to lotion them after every wash. I don't see any savings with them over bar soap. The only thing positive about them is a choice of fragrance.

15. galmal

galmalMember

Threads:
    It's funny you bring this up. I much prefer liquid soap, my husband bar soap. He likes the "squeaky" feeling bar soap gives you thinking that it feels "clean". I hate that feeling, thinking that it feels like soap scum. I also like that it doesn't make as much of a mess in the bathtub - bar soap gets slimy. It's a good thing that we have two bathrooms - that way my husband can do his thing, and I can do mine!

16. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    I understand the hygienic benefit of liquid soap too, but I'm with you on the bar soap. Using liquid soap tends to leave a film in my bath tub too. I don't know what it is that causes the residue, but I don't like it.

17. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I like liquid soap a lot more because it's a lot easier to use and like you said it makes for less danger of germs transferring from one person to another. I don't find it too weak or difficult to get off the hands as I just usually wash it thoroughly and it does the trick enough. I agree that regular soap seems to be better for getting grease off your hands though but this is a good enough alternative for me considering the advantages it brings.

18. kate23

kate23Active Member

Threads:
    I use bar soap for my hands. I used to go back and forth between bar and liquid soaps but then my hand eczema got really bad and I had to start using solely bar soap. I certainly don't miss liquid soap though, it made my hands dry and it was hard to rinse off. I always felt like I still had soap on my hands even after rinsing them well.

I do use both bar and liquid soap in the shower, but liquid body wash doesn't affect my eczema at all, unlike hand soap. It also rinses off really easily. I never thought about it before but I wonder why that is. Hand soap must be a lot harsher than body wash.

19. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is strange how many different experiences people are having with soaps. I love liquid soap, not only because of the squeaky clean feeling that it provides me with. But also because of how it lathers?? Now, admittedly, some brands do lather up much better than others, because some leave you feeling like you wasted your time rubbing your hands together so much lol. But I love liquid soaps. They tend to smell a lot better too.

20. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Liquid soap for me is good for washing dishes and for soft cleaning. Hard soap like powder detergent or bar of soap are better for rough and tough washing like dirty clothes or greasy hands. I prefer liquid soap over solid soap overall, because it does what I need it to do and doesn't remain longer than I wish it to. Even better than liquid soap, regarding hand-washing, are foam soaps.