Little Trick If You Like Sugar

Discussion in Food & Drink started by DukeMadThane • May 8, 2015.

1. DukeMadThane

DukeMadThaneMember

Threads:
    I have frequent sugar cravings and am liable to just devour a whole bag of something. A little trick is to buy hard candy that is rough, so you physically can't eat too many of them without taking a break. Recently, I have been enjoying LIfesavers Mints - Wint o Green and they do the trick for me. They give me my sugar fix, while making me stop before I get too carried away.

2. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I wish it would but hard candy doesn't do it for me. Quite the opposite. It just makes me hungry. A peanut butter cracker a bit heavy on the peanut butter calms my sugar cravings best when I don't want to overindulge. Or sometimes just a teaspoon of peanut butter without the cracker. Sounds nuts but it seems to satisfy more than just my sweet tooth and will tide me over for quite a long while.

3. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Hard candies can be a good quick fix for some people. But legumes like peanuts are actually super good for sugar cravings (seeds and nuts are similar - they all contain certain nutrients that the body may need when it’s craving sugar), so that’s a good way to go about it. I also like eating fruit instead of sugar when it’s convenient to do so.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I agree. Not only is this great advice to keep healthy but also great advice to save some money too since you will be cutting down on unnecessary feelings of hunger or cravings. I do this trick too and sometimes if I don't have candy I'll just settle for water. If I'm craving something it provides me with just enough time to make sure that I really am hungry or craving instead of just bored.

5. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84Member

Threads:
    That's a good call, I can't do candy as my teeth are so weak! But my sugar craving is cured by kids cereals, they are chocolatey but not too high in calories as they are highly regulated in the UK!

6. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I think it is better to not solve sugar cravings by stuffing yourself with stuff filled with sugar. The quick fix you could have is a simple trail mix or even dry fruit.

7. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hard candies are okay so long as you have most of your teeth intact. In the case of my mother, though, half of her teeth are no longer there so it's hard for her to chew on hard candies. Taking the risk would hurt her gums, not to mention she's borderline diabetic (type II). Rather than stay deprived or cheat occasionally, we advised her to buy desserts that make use of alternative sweeteners like sucralose and stevia. Aspartame is the least healthy alternative so everyone avoids it altogether.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My go to are the little peppermints when I need to have something sweet. It is hard to avoid sugar when you have a sweet tooth. The cookies and muffins call my name often, so I do have the peppermints handy often.

9. RapidRaven

RapidRavenMember

Threads:
    Great idea with using the hardness and roughness of the candies as a deterrent from consuming too many. One will get tired after consuming several, therefore curbing their sugar intake. Though, this method will only work if most of your teeth are well-taken care of and intact. Personally, I just try avoiding sugar intake by replacing sugary-treats with healthier alternatives.