Living with a dull person

Discussion in Misc & Others started by ExpertAdvice • Sep 30, 2014.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Nothing irritates me more than having to deal with or live with a dull person all the time. I'm pretty sure someone else can attest to this, to tell of the horrific feelings that arise within you when you really want to feel happy about life but because you live or have to deal with someone who isn't as enthused about anything as you are, you fall in a state of depression! I would recommend to anyone in this situation...forget about that person, continue to make yourself happy whether or not the other grumpy person is happy, your psychological health is very much as important as your physical health.

2. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    Eh, I learned how to deal with my health and how to deal with mine while helping others. I don't classify anyone as full, boring, dumb, etc. I just know that they have a different view on things and that we all must learn to accept each view whether we agree or not. If something makes me happy yet annoys the hell outta someone else, I will still go about it but maybe not as a strong enforcement. There's a way to compromise with one another.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm one of those people you'd call dull. To be honest, I don't care what people think about me. You'd never find me chatting with someone unless circumstances forced me to. Unlike most people I don't need to be around other people to be happy which is probably the reason why I live alone. If I were to stay with someone [like me] who won't mind my "dullness" I'd be very happy.

4. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Touche. Although the person I'm living with is not exactly what you'd call "dull." He just seems awfully stubborn and won't admit he's doing things the wrong way. Perhaps what makes a person dull is when he/she commits the same mistakes over and over again without learning from them. I guess all of us are prone to dullness - humans as we are - but it's not an affliction that's hard to overcome. Just a little initiative and enough support from the people that matter are what we need to rise above our propensity to be dull.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Dullness comes in many forms. For example, I find people who strictly stick to routines somewhat dull. But often these people even find themselves dull and would like to have a different way of life, only they don't know how to make changes. I think that every person wants to be engaged in things and causes that makes him or her feel good and alive. Nobody wants to feel stuck. We all have different interests and personalities. What seems dull to one person, is deeply fascinating to another. And I am really glad that it is like that. :)

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well I don't know which would be worse, living with a dull person or a person so hyper they can't sit still for more than 5 minutes. They have a high voice, talk real fast and finish nothing. Finding the happy middle point on other people is not the easiest thing to do when you have to deal with people on a daily bases. Some people actually say I am rude because I speak in a manner to get to the point as quickly as possible.

7. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It sounds like by dull you mean apathetic or somber. It's even worse when you are that toxic person. It's hard living with yourself. I'd rather be someone else much of the time because I can't seem to do anything right. When I try so hard to get a job, I always fail. I've been out of work for too long and that never sits well with me.
    It's easy when you're a kid but when you're an adult it's hard to stay happy because you have so many things to worry about or at least I do.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can be hyper at times, and when a friend and I were chatting, she suddenly asked why I am so hyper. She is quiet most of the time and isn't really chatty. So I just said that it's not wrong to be hyper, lol. Take note, she always initiates our phone conversations. So I guess those kind of people are the ones you call "dull"? I guess you should just stay away from them when you get too happy since they're such a downer.

9. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Uh, sounds like your venting about living with a dull person yourself... are we talking about a roommate, friend, spouse? In any case it sounds like you're more interested in having some more spice in your life maybe getting out more and the person you're talking about doesn't? If that is the case then I would just make the effort to do what makes you happy in terms of bringing more excitement into your life (as long as it doesn't hurt the other person).

10. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hate dealing with dull people, especially when it is awkward if you don't laugh at all of their lame jokes and whatnot lol. If you were to just stand there with a straight face then it would be even more awkward, so to get through these awful interactions you have to smile or whatever. Most of the time you would just like to walk away but you don't want to be seen as rude. But really it is just self-preservation. Not rudeness. No one else will see it that way though, unfortunately.

11. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Dull can mean a lot of things. In general I prefer to be around people who are more spontaneous and carefree, rather than someone who is really stubbornly set in their ways. I find the later to be rather selfish and inconsiderate. I'm always willing to try new things, a new restaurant, a movie that perhaps I wasn't personally interested in seeing, a road trip somewhere random, whatever. I know there are a lot of times my friends want to do something that interests them but they just don't want to go alone, so I am more than happy to join them. But often times there are others in my life who are not like that at all with me, or don't return the same consideration when it comes to something I really want to do. I've ditched some former friends over this, because they were only one sided and only cared about themselves and acted like the world revolved around them 24/7. Heaven forbid you want to check out some new bar instead of going to their old standby, or heaven forbid you want to go bowling instead of shooting pool - I can't stand it when these people sulk when you suggest doing something other than what they want to do all the time. They're not friends as far as I'm concerned, they're just looking for an audience.

That said, I am more of a loner and the type of person that gets mentally exhausted if I am around people 24/7 - I need time to myself more than I need to be around others. But I have some friends who are the complete opposite, and are manic and go nuts if they are by themselves for more than 5 minutes. I'm almost thankful I am not like them, because I've seen some of them have breakdowns and start crying like crazy if their most recent fling dumps them, they're immediately scrambling to find a new boyfriend/girlfriend or else they don't know what to do with themselves. It's kind of sad that they are that dependent and clingy like that.

I guess I could tolerate a "dull" person though, more than I can tolerate a manic person - if I had to choose between the two. Dull people annoy me, but manic people just wear me out, I can't deal with their emotional roller coasters 24/7.

12. Goat of Departure

Goat of DepartureActive Member

Threads:
    I think you're referring to glum and generally sad and negative people rather than dull people. Dull people are boring but they're not irritating but I think it depends on how you view things. But as for me, I live with a lot of these kinds of people, people that tend to just gock at you when you're trying to be fun but I get them because some of them are just raised that way so I just ignore them since where not really emotionally attached to each other, it's not like we're lovers or anything. Just ignore them and try to stay out of their way.

I tend to be dull sometimes when it comes to things that I generally don't like so maybe it's just that the person you're living with isn't really happy about what you're doing or just not genuinely interested.

13. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know; I think that dull people can be really annoying, especially when they have you cornered and are boring you with whatever they are boring you with and you have to pretend like you are actually interested in whatever it is that they are saying. Sometimes it is really hard to get away, which makes it even worse. Sometimes you could be trying to get away becuase you have an appointment, or sometimes you could be late for an appointment and they just have you completely cornered. Not cool, and SO irritating.

14. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    One of my friends who is a homebody and doesn't go out much anymore, is obsessed with the soap opera General Hospital (yes, he's gay btw, lol). His life like literally revolves around that show. Anyhow, whenever any of us are hanging out over his place and are drinking, he wants to break out his old copies of General Hospital to show us some specific scene or story arc from the show - as if we care to see that. This will go on for hours if one of us doesn't stop him and suggest we do something else.

I mean, I can understand getting a buzz on and getting all nostalgic over music and movies and shows, but I don't force friends/guests to watch a whole bunch of crap they probably aren't even interested in.

15. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    Dude... I really relate to this.
    My current roomate is the most miserable person to be around. At this point I don't even talk to her. I just pretty much ignore her, and go about my day.
    Just today I made the decision that I'm going to move out, so that I never have to see her again.
    I'm having the talk at the end of the month.

Life is way too short to deal with BS.