Local Discount Stores

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Zyni • Mar 2, 2015.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you try to support little local discount stores? Like the mom and pop variety is what I'm referring to. A little shop recently opened up not far from me, and I went to check it out. They really don't have a huge selection right now, but I found a couple good deals on some things. I plan to go back. I like to try to support such shops (IF possible... it has to be worth it), especially as opposed to the Walmart stores of the world, so they hopefully stay in business and continue to grow.

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My area does not have any local small business discount stores. All of the discounts stores are the big boys like Walmart, Big Lots, Family Dollar and Dollar Tree. I support Dollar Tree which is owned by a local person all the time.

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always support the local industry, even if it means that I am paying a little more. For me it's all about quality and not quantity. But, to be honest, I don't frequent discount stores all that much. I prefer going to local thrift shops and Salvation Army stores.

4. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Where I live there aren't many local stores any more, I live in a big city and all I see are big chains of stores. I do wonder where the small business owners went, I guess that business changed too fast and they were smashed by the large corporations.

5. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do like Big Lots and Dollar Tree. I go to Walmart if I have no choice. I have to go into the city to go to any of these though, and there are some smaller, family owned stores in my area. I much prefer to go to those when possible. If they don't have what I want or need, I'll add it to my list and grab it when I'm in the city. I usually do the majority of my holiday shopping at the bigger stores as well, but I get what I can from the little stores first.

I do thrift stores too, Dora.

Gelsemium, I hear ya. Where I'm originally from that's true as well. The big ones do smash the little guys. That's why I try to support them as much as possible.

6. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really care whether I buy from local/small or big chains, I really have no reason to care. I just shop whenever is convenient and cheap, and yeah, that includes shops like these as well.

7. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I do remember some small grocery shops around my place, but those simply disappeared, closed or their spaces were bought out by larger companies. I do wonder what are they doing now, most likely unemployed.

8. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, that's kind of the point, supporting them so that they don't go out of business or simply disappear. If you like having those shops around then supporting them, by shopping there, is the best way to keep them around. I much prefer to give my business to family owned stores rather than mega stores when I can.

9. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Pretty much, we as clients should support them by buying there, but local authorities should support them too with tax benefits or else they cannot compete with the prices of the larger companies.

10. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I will always try to support businesses that are local, because I feel strongly that they are the ones that are going to carry the economy in years to come. I will always buy things from my local newsagents if I am able to, and that includes newspapers, magazines, confectionary and even some basic day to day items that they now stock. Even though I have to pay a little bit more, I would much rather that they make a profit, because I don't think that a lot of the chain stores have problems in that respect. I am self employed and always appreciate it when people use my services rather than those of another company, so I fully appreciate just how much it might mean to the business that I use.