Local Food Bank...

Discussion in Food & Drink started by classy_ally • Jun 25, 2012.

1. classy_ally

classy_allyMember

Threads:
    When I had a job, I never even considered a food bank. I always had the money to cover my expenses. But now that I'm disabled and on a fixed income, I have been doing more research on available resources. I found a church that helps people with food. It is a real blessing.

Have you been to a food bank for assistance?

2. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I've never been to a food bank, but I've considered working at one or giving to one. I'm glad that you found a local church to help you out. I only ask that when you get back on your feet that you remember who helped you and that you help them.

It will turn around for you. Just have faith and hang in there.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been to a food bank. A few years ago, times were very hard. It was not a positive experience. I didn't eat most of what I received. It was mostly years (yes, years) old canned food stuff. Fortunately, things turned around for me rather quickly.

I hope your experience is much more positive.

4. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    At one time or another I have had to turn to the food bank, but none of it was years old. It was bread and some can goods, depending on the place there were eggs (dried or fresh), and maybe vegetables. I try to give back now, but I will always be grateful for what I got in a time of need.

5. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    The food banks are there to help folks like yourself. Food can be a major expense and if you can get the assistance you need with food, it frees up your money for other costs like medical treatment and utilities. The churches can offer help in other ways, too, if you need more than food assistance. If you can volunteer some of your time with other church activites, it won't feel like the church is just giving you a hand out.

6. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I have never used a food bank before. I have volunteered to put together boxes and baskets around the holidays for families, though. And there's a church program here in town that puts together baskets for a set price every few months that's highly discounted, but still not free. I know that's really helpful, too.

7. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I haven't had to use a food bank, but it is comforting to know that it is there. It is so expensive to eat and I give to the local food banks when I can. I always give during the holidays, but have been trying to donate throughout the year so that hopefully the food banks are not handing out year old cans like in the comment mentioned above.