Local vs Franchise Restaurants

Discussion in Food & Drink started by sulayman • Nov 12, 2013.

1. sulayman

sulaymanBanned

Threads:
    Which kinda restaurants in your area do your prefer. The up and coming local restaurant or the big franchises that have taken the world by storm?

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I tried a franchise restaurant while traveling this weekend and was very disappointed in the service and quality of the food in the state I was visiting. In my local area the food is usually very good. I usually like the quick fast food restaurant like Chick-fila in my area.

3. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think we have any franchise restaurants where I live, so I only go to the local ones. Even if I had a choice, I would still prefer the locals, though, I think.

4. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    I like the restaurants like McDonalds that have great food for great prices.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    It's not really a factor that I consider too much when choosing restaurants, but if I had to choose, I'd probably go with franchise restaurants. I'd trust standardized quality assurance a little more for consistency and all the other benefits that come with it. Admittedly, commercialized food may feel a little bit artificial, but I personally don't mind the trade off most of the time.

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't prefer big names at any time. Restaurants, big box stores, clothes etc etc etc etc... I will always give my money to those who's lives actually depend on it.

7. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    I'd prefer to go to a locally owned business, but only if their good! At TGI Fridays or whatever, you know what you're getting, of course it's pretty mediocre. They're some bad local restaurants, but the good ones are great.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I eat in both actually. What matters is that the food is good and the prices are reasonable. But I find myself buying food more from those popular franchises.

9. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I eat in both types of restaurants. I do find that the locally owned restaurants are more generous in their portions for the cost of the meal. Also, local restaurants seem to make food to order.

10. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    As far as a restaurant and not a drive thru type, I would rather support the "mom and pop" restaurants any day. There is a local diner where you can get a great home made tasting breakfast, which is less than any of the chains. When I travel I always look for independents, for an adventure and also to support local business. A drive thru would only be out of necessity if I could not find anything else.

11. themarting

themartingActive Member

Threads:
    While local restaurants have the potential to be better, i fint they cheap out most of the time.

With fastfood restaurants, even though theyre cheap, they always have a minimum level of quality. Which may not be great but you know where that minimum is. I say "it can only be so bad and we know how bad". Local restaurants usually charge more, sometimes use even cheaper ingredients and then make crappy stuff.

12. jbepp

jbeppMember

Threads:
    I like local restaurants a lot more. The food they make is excellent and is was healthier than most big name companies.
    Local restaurants also tend to be cheaper.

13. tweety23

tweety23Member

Threads:
    It depends. I usually go to both local restaurants as well as franchises whenever I can. It just depends on how I'm feeling at the time. But I do enjoy supporting the local restaurants around my town by giving them my business.

14. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe it's because it's not such a big thing so they can focus more on quality than quantity, but local restaurants tend to be so much better than franchise ones. Food tends to be much better served too.