Lollipop Android

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Strykstar • Dec 4, 2014.

1. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Is anyone using the new Android version yet?
    Do you think it's worth ignoring phones that don't have the new software or are the new features negligible?

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Android Lollipop is a major update to Android OS. It's currently available on Nexus and Motorola devices, with more coming in the very near future. The update brings 64-bit capabilities to the OS along with performance improvements and a new design, along with battery optimization features. Since Lollipop is such a big improvement over Android KitKat, it's absolutely worth getting a device that will upgrade to the new OS. I've got it on the Nexus 5, and it's a smooth update that makes the phone get a second lease on life.

3. maryannballeras

maryannballerasMember

Threads:
    Wow, I envy you! I also want to have a new Android smartphone with the new OS in it, but unfortunately, I can't find one within my location. I might need to order one online, which is something that I don't prefer. But this information is really helpful, thank you so much! I am positive that Samsung will have it, too. There's no official word yet, but I think it's obvious.

4. troutski

Threads:
    Samsung has made official comments on Android Lollipop for its devices, though. It's expected that the S5, Note 4, and a couple of older devices will get the update, plus the Galaxy Note Edge. Current devices that run Lollipop include the Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Nexus 6, Nexus 7, Nexus 9, Moto X, and I believe the Moto G. A couple of HTC and LG devices will get the update within the next few months. Basically, any flagship devices from the last few months will update to Android L sooner or later.

5. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't tried it out yet, but I'm already very pleased with the Android Jellybean on my Samsung S3. It's still working very well, why fix something that's not broken?

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Same here, I'm not as keen to update software in general, as long as it's still working perfectly fine. I noticed that not all upgrades are generally better, but I'm not saying that Lollipop is one of them. I just had some updates that were buggy.

7. troutski

Threads:
    The only problem is that you're going to very quickly start running into problems when it comes to downloading apps and getting updates for some of them. As Lollipop becomes more widely available, older versions of Android OS are going to stop getting patches, and apps for older versions will stop getting support, leaving them open to unfixed bugs, security vulnerabilities, and other issues. Jelly Bean is now two versions outdated, although KitKat is very, very similar to Android 4.2 and 4.3. In a few months, these issues should start becoming noticeable, though.

8. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    Well my mother has the Nexus 5 and I got the Lolipop update OTA a couple of weeks ago. It's not... bad per se but it's nothing special either. I do like some of the new features and the design of it, but for the average user they won't really care, and it's not worth singling out other phones. The one I'm buying is stuck at 4.2 for now, and I believe that it'll suffice, and this is coming from someone who's pretty keen on technology and having the latest thing.

9. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just recently purchased a new Android device. It's an LG and it runs on the latest version of KitKat. I am really happy with the phone. My old phone ran on Ice Cream Sandwich so it's a big upgrade for me. I really doubt that my phone will upgrade to Lollipop when it becomes available for LG phones. I'm fine with that. I don't necessarily need the latest and the greatest. Even though I really wanted a new phone, I wasn't going to upgrade. But then my phone got wet and the touchscreen was damaged. So I had to get a new phone.

One a side note....I love the name Google gives to its updates. They are so whimsical.

10. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    Wow that sounds pretty awesome! I have a Galaxy Reverb so I'm really far away from being able to upgrade. My phone is slow as hell and I just made a year of owning it. I'll be looking for a new phone next year and I think getting one that has the capability of upgrading to Android Lollipop would be a really smart move.

11. ChaplinXXX

ChaplinXXXNew Member

Threads:
    You might want to consider getting the phone simply because of the Lollipop system on it. So far, all I hear are good things about this system.

From what I hear, the Lollipop is..
    -full of new features
    -a visual overhaul
    -numerous under-the-hood improvements to make if faster
    -more efficient and lighter on your battery

Someone posted a video of them using it but it went down shortly after so I don't know what's up with that. I already see videos with it anyways so I don't see the big deal. Still, if it is what they advertise it to be, I will definitely recommend it.

12. troutski

Threads:
    It depends. The LG G2 and G3 are getting the update, and rumor has it the G2 Mini and G3 Beat will receive the update, too. Otherwise, you're probably out of luck if you don't own one of those devices.

As I pointed out previously, older versions of Android not named KitKat are going to start running into trouble within the next year or two. Apps are going to be optimized for Android RunTime and 64-bit operations, which aren't available on previous versions of Android (ART is in some cases). When those new app versions come out with full support for Lollipop, they're going to stop updating the versions for Android 4.0, 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3 sooner than later. This will leave you open to security vulnerabilities as well as usability problems.

There's no need to update right now, but that's going to change in a few months.

13. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    Incase you haven't noticed they've been going for sweets/chocolate names, and is is quite funny :eek: