Long Sleeves And Pants - Do You Feel Constricted?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by kate23 • Feb 14, 2015.

1. kate23

kate23Active Member

Threads:
    My family don't understand this at all, but I feel like I'm being constricted or confined or something when I have to wear long sleeves and pants for longer than about a couple of days. I need a break from them or I feel uncomfortable. Once I put on shorts and a short sleeved shirt I feel relieved and free, like my skin is finally able to breathe again. I compare it to taking a bandage off that's been on too long and isn't allowing your wound to breathe.

Does anyone else feel the same way? I've never heard anyone talk about this before but surely I can't be the only one?!

2. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really have this issue myself, but it could come down to personal preference. To be honest the thing that bugs me the most is a high neck collar. I know for a fact that I can't wear a turtle neck because when I do I feel like I'm choking. Just having the fabric right next to my neck makes me have this feeling even if the garment isn't constricting in any way. I have found that over the years this has gotten a bit worse I can't even wear collars that are high neck button any longer.

3. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I feel this way about socks. I find them so restricting after a few hours and it's always a blessed relief to take them off and put slippers on. I've no problem with long sleeves and pants though.

4. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I know what you mean, but not always. I much prefer to just wear a shirt, but that's not always financially sensible when I'm paying the gas bill. Just one of the reason why I love summer so much, I don't have to wear all these items of clothing.

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Turtle neck shirts make me feel like I am being choked, I try not to wear shirst that have high collars and buttoned at the neck. I am not comfortable in tight clothes at all. It is also hard for me to wear long pants to sleep in.

6. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    I'm like that with long sleeves and socks. Sometimes it just becomes to much, and I'm like "OFF. NOW". I get like that in the summer with short sleeve or 3/4 sleeve shirts, that I have to wear to work, and end up sweating so much in that it just gets plastered to me. So it's such a nice relieve to strip out of the sweaty clothes and get into a nice, comfy tank top. ;)

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Sometimes it does feel like that for me, especially once I've reached home and can feel the comfort but I'm still in my outdoor clothes so I immediately just take it all off. However, after a while of wearing these clothes, I usually get used to it a bit more rather than make me even more uncomfortable. I only really feel the constriction once I get home and feel I can relax more.

8. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I don't feel constricted with long sleeves and pants. They are most helpful during winter season. However, I have problems with turtle necks or anything with high neck collars. It gets very uncomfortable and I feel like I'm being choked. The same thing goes with scarfs that is why I don't wear them often.

Just like DrRipley, I also make it a point to change my outdoor clothes once I've reached home. Maybe it has something to do with the way we were trained by our Mom. She always taught us to change clothes once we reached the house.

9. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It really depends on your personal clothing preferences and your immediate environment. Although I live in the tropics with an oftentimes blazing sun, half of the year is too cold for my own good. To make matters worse, our office AC blasts like there's no tomorrow. Wearing pants and long-sleeves are commonplace especially for members of the working class. Maybe for now you don't see the need, but eventually you'll get the hang of those clothes.

10. MoneyMan

MoneyManMember

Threads:
    I know exactly how you feel! For some reason, my body never gets cold, so when I am told to wear "warm" clothing, I hate it! For example, on a cold day in New Jersey, I see everyone wearing jeans, a jacket, and a hat. When I am heading to work, all I wear are shorts and a t-shirt, and maybe a sweatshirt if it is raining.

Maybe it's just us, but also I cannot stand wearing socks. Even if my feet are cold, I do not like the feeling of something covering my feet (other than shoes). Maybe one day I'll get over this weird phobia. For us, high neck collars are basically death.

11. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    I am not like this but I think I understand my little boy a bit better now, because he is exactly as you describe! He hates to wear long sleeve shirts and always wants to pick out short sleeves. I won't let him go to school with short sleeves in the middle of the winter, so I always make him put on a long sleeve top. He gets livid, and immediately starts pulling up the sleeves. He will never leave the sleeves down and get upset if I do because I don't want him to get cold. So I guess he feels constricted??? Maybe I'll let him be from now on :)

12. klassiter

klassiterActive Member

Threads:
    I don't feel this way when wearing long sleeves and pants. I actually prefer to wear pants. They are more comfortable to me than wearing dresses. The only time I feel constricted in my clothes is if I am wearing a shaper to hold in my belly or when I am wearing a turtle neck sweater. I do not like the feeling of clothing wrapped around my neck..

13. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I really do. It also feels intimidating to wear them. But often, I've got not much choice, I really have to wear them and stay for them for a couple of hours. Just imagine all that pain and that limits. As for me, I want to be as comfortable as possible all the time. Long sleeves and pants just don't make that happen. But I have to withstand them anyway.

14. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I always wear long sleeves and pants and I don't feel the same way, mainly because I have gotten used to it over time. I'm sure eventually, you'll feel the same. I guess you feel that way because it's not your preferred outfit. Also, choose the type of fabrics that you use. There are certainly some fabrics which are less comfortable, especially those which are rather stiff and does not glide with you when you move.

15. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I feel that way about socks. I usually take them off as soon as possible, unless my feet are really cold. As far a pants are concerned, as long as I"m not hot, I don't have a problem wearing them. Long sleeved shirts are fine as long as the sleeves aren't too tight. I do like to unbutton the sleeves to give me more room though.