Long Underwear

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by DancingLady • Nov 19, 2014.

1. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Do you wear long underwear during the winter to keep warm? I wear a pare of long underwear type legging to bed so I don't freeze. It's pretty cold at night so I definitely need that extra layer. I don't typically wear long underwear during the day time because my job is active and keeps me warm, but sometimes I will wear thick leggings of knit rather than the tights like ones under my skirt if it's really cold.

2. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I really haven't for years but it's getting so terribly cold already and I know it's just going to get even worse before it gets nicer, so it's definitely something I'm considering this year. Along with other insulated clothing and thermal items...I don't want to end up uncomfortable, inside or out of the home, and I don't want to pay a fortune in heating bills either.

3. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    We don't have winter here, but we do have super cold nights. I don't wear long undergarments though because I don't like the feeling. I just wear pajamas and thick, loose shirts. :)

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had some long johns when I had to work outside for an outdoor campaign and they can make such a difference with the wind chill factor. You don't care what they look like as long as they keep you warm.

In temperatures where it does get bitterly cold, I think they are essential to keep the circulation moving as the body reacts quickly to cold temperatures, but recently I bought some thermal tights which will double up instead of long johns!

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We don't have winter here but we do have long and erratic cold spells brought about by rainy weather and incessant typhoons. I wear leggings or pajamas. If wearing either doesn't help, I tend to wear shorts underneath and put on some lotion so it feels less chilly.

6. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    I do not like restrictive clothing not to mention I am also horrendously hot nature. I cannot stand extra fabric and I loathe long johns and long underwear. I would sooner wear an extra layer I can take off than one that is stuck on my body all day.

7. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Well, now, they have shirts that look like what long johns used to, so I'll wear one of those tops and a camisole under it. It's light enough for me not to get too hot while at work, but layer up a bit without being bulky and unable to move while trying to get to work. Last winter was absolutely horrible and I anticipate it will be the same this year, so I may even add to that, but for now, I'll see how that does for me.

8. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I do. I'm pretty cold natured so if it's snowing and I know I'll be walking around I'll wear them under my clothes. I kind of don't like how bulky it is but it does keep me a lot warmer!

9. maryannballeras

maryannballerasMember

Threads:
    It's getting really cold at my current location but despite that, I still don't use long undergarments. Maybe I'm just not used to it. I'm not really sure why I don't like it, but what I do know is that it feels uncomfortable. It just feels awkward. I would just rather wear some dress or clothes that's thick enough to keep me warm during these cold days. And a cup of hot chocolate would do as well.

10. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't wear long underwear. It doesn't really get that cold where I lived. I did live in Milwaukee for two years. I wore several layers of clothing, but never wore long underwear. I just don't find them attractive even if nobody actually sees me wearing them. I know that I'm wearing them. I know that makes no sense.

11. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I use to wear them all the time when I was younger, and I'm currently looking to buy another pair. The jeans that I wear these days are usually really form fitting, so it would be hard to wear some long underwear under them. Lately, I've been wearing two pairs of high socks under my jeans and I've been pretty OK. I can only assume that it'll get colder here in the east coast, so I think I better stock up on some long underwear for the winter.

12. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know if it's the same thing as what you guys wear, but in the UK people generally wear thermal underwear which comes in many different style and sizes. Thermal underwear is very effective in keeping the heat in, and I used to swear by it for the nasty UK winters. Although my friends would sometimes laugh at me because I'd be all wrapped up like a mummy, complete with my thermals underneath LOL

13. nonsiccus

nonsiccusActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think I could really justify wearing these day to day since it just wouldn't be comfortable layering up that much. Especially since temperatures around here don't drop that low during the day time, it'd be difficult to deal with how warm you'd get.

They're a great option when fall/winter camping or doing outdoor activities though - aside from that I generally avoid wearing too much clothing.

14. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    I live in the north so long underwear is a given in the winter. Sometimes I wear it under my clothes so I don't freeze. Sometimes I wear them as a pajama so I don't freeze. there are all different types, Hanes makes nice sets, very heavy, but I find the ones for woman tend to run short so I buy the mens sizes instead. I think the best I found for women are the Silky brand, very soft and stretchy, they work well under clothes. Cuddle duds are nice but much more pricey. they have quite a few different styles and colors that make for good coordinates for layering.