Look down when you shop

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by goodselfme • May 22, 2012.

1. goodselfme

goodselfmeMember

Threads:
    When I went shopping for some simple beauty aids I discovered a unique tip. I was shopping for toothpaste at Walmart and picked up my usual brand and then started looking downward and found Pepsodent large economy tube for . 99 cents. I have not seen toothpaste that cheap in a long time. It just could be that the grocery stores do like Walmart does which is to put the cheaper items on the lower shelves. I have read somewhere that is the case. Next time you shop, look down before you run to the checkout counter.

2. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    I've heard that too, that stores tend to put the least expensive items on the lower or upper shelves where people don't see them as much. They also put the most popular items right in the middle so that people see them and tend not to look elsewhere.

3. AlwaysAMama

AlwaysAMamaActive Member

Threads:
    Good tip! I have not heard that before.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    You know what, it's funny that you mentioned getting cheap toothpaste. I was at Kroger's today and got Colgate for 50 cents! It was a normal sized tube, but still a steal for that price!

You're so right about looking down for sales/clearance/markdowns like that, too. It's important to scan everywhere.

5. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I've noticed this in supermarkets in Spain - the cheapest items are always on the bottom shelf. It sounds as if this is an international marketing ploy - putting the higher ticket items at eye level or arm level ensures that they are the first products the shopper sees. In fact, now you come to mention it, the centre shelves always seem to be the ones that run out of stock first. So it pays to look around, as well as shop around!

6. beckyv1265

beckyv1265Active Member

Threads:
    That is so true . I actually did know that . I had just forgotten about it. Now I will remind myself to do that in the stores. I love a good bargain.

7. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I've heard that before. Also, look up. The prices on the top shelf will sometimes be a little bit lower than on the middle shelf.

8. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Thank you so much for reminding me of that one. My brother used to work at an upscale retail store many years ago and told me how they teach them to place high ticket items on eye level shelves. The on sale items or cheaper items are on the top shelf, bottom shelf or in corners.

When I remember to check...wow, one scores hey!

9. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    I always look at all my options before I purchase any product. Stores definitely use that trick of putting the popular items at eye level because they know people who are in a rush will most likely buy those products. I've noticed that Walmart and most other stores place the bulk and off-brand items on the lower shelves.

10. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I always look down when I shop because I know that is where the cheap items are. And I look to the top to see what's up there that I can't reach. The bargains are always on the bottom shelves and I don't know why they think they should put them there because I am going to look high and low for the cheapest price.

11. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will be looking down for the bargains. This is a good lesson on saving money. I also look in back of the items to see if they all have the same price coded. Sometimes you can find an item that is miss coded.

12. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    I've always realised that the cheaper products are on the lower shelves at my local marts and department stores, but didn't know that this was a trend across many stores and even countries! But I guess placing the cheaper products in such "obscure" places would make sense since they would prefer customers to be buying the higher priced items which are usually those that are in higher demand. I guess it does pay to be opening up our eyes and bending down lower while shopping to get the best deals!

13. alid1

alid1New Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the tip. I will try that out tomorrow, when I am at Wal-Mart. I think I'm always in such a rush to get out of Wal-Mart, that I don't examine everything. I probably need to do early morning shopping, when no one is around. That way I can take my time, without 100 bodies around me!

14. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    I'm sure there are plenty of strategies that style do not know. Every time we shop we have to sharpen the look, almost as if we were lynx in search of the best alternative between price / quality. Unfortunately we do not know if this is a proper disposition of a single store, or the whim of an employee stock boy. Surely there is a criterion, but it is not revealed to the simple client. Fortunately, there are people like you who is attentive to such details and can communicate. Thanks for the tip.

15. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    Some places do this to divert your attention to new and more expensive products. It can be hard to focus while shopping because of all the distractions and customer pulling techniques they have. You can also "accidentally" drop a tin of food and once it's dented the shop has to sell you it at a marked down price.:p

16. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thank you for posting. I guess there's a science to the way stores set up shelves. I was watching a show called Bar Rescue which is like Kitchen Nightmares for bars. They actually used eye tracking software to see where customers automatically look on a bar menu so that they could put the most high profit drinks and appetizers in the middle of the page. I guess retail stores use a similar science to place items where customers will look.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thank you for this tip, I didn't know that. I will also mention this to everyone I know who shops, most especially the cheapskates! ;) The marketing strategy is quite obvious, and I'm the type that doesn't really examine or compare prices when I'm shopping at the supermarket, so I would apply this tip as soon as I get to visit the grocery store.

18. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    Another trick to the shopping is always make a list of what you need from the market. When you get to the market do not pick up anything but the things that you went there to get on your list and that way you can stay on budget and save money for your next grocery needs.

19. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    I didn't know that, thank you for the information, it is really helpful.From now on I will be sure to look down of the bottom shelf to make sure there aren't on sale. Thanks for the INfo.

20. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Great tip.. I have never heard of this before.. thanks for sharing.