Look For Used First?

Discussion in Shopping Discussion started by Denis Hard • Jan 28, 2016.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It doesn't necessarily mean taking a look at eBay first.

We all have friends and acquaintances who may have something we need and if they don't they may know someone [who knows someone] who has the item you need. And they'll always be cheaper because you'll be getting a discount as a friend.

Ever tried buying used items from your friends or the friends of your friends?

2. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Nope - absolutely never would I even consider buying anything from a friend or someone that I knew - for the simple reason - that if there was a problem with the item - not only could it cause bad feeling between the two of you - but may even result in terminating your friendship altogether.

Which for me - is just not worth the risk - as I value the friendships that I have - way, way more than trying to save a few bucks here and there.

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Never from a friend, as gata montes already mentioned. Too risky. But I've started looking for most items used first.. I'd rather contribute to recycling what's already here, than the excessiveness and waste most people are creating.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do try and check out used item sites first if I'm looking for a certain item, if not for checking other options I just use it to check the future value of what I plan on getting brand new. If I see that most people are already selling the item at a very low price then I'd feel less comfortable with buying it at full price or a high price, but if it's still a good enough amount I'd be able to purchase with a little more confidence knowing that later on I can still sell it for a significant amount if I ever did decide to replace it.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't tried that yet, but my dad bought a used HP computer set from his niece, and it was a good buy since it had no problems and it was barely used. From my experience, buying used items may have a hidden defect that the seller is hiding from you, so it is indeed not wise to transact for 2nd hand items with a friend because the friend might hide the hidden defect to you and it will be the cause of a rift.

6. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    The only thing that I bought off of someone I knew was some toys for my daughter. It was a box of old toys that she had and I thought my daughter would like them so I bought them. As it turned out, there were some vintage polly pocket doll play sets in there that are making me some money on eBay right now. Other than that, I would not buy from a friend because it could cause some problems in your friendship. I have received stuff free from friends and I do not think that is bad since even if something is wrong with it you did not pay for it so there should not be any ill feelings involved.

7. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Secondhand clothes make a great bargain. Some look as good as new especially if the owner is an impulse buyer and found that the item doesn't fit properly. Secondhand goods are tried and tested and this means that their longevity is not in question. I usually have a preference for them. On the flip side, I would feel awkward buying from friends and acquaintances for a bargain since clothes represent personality. I would rather buy from the mass market.

8. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Have you heard of an ebay party? I guess it is the invention of my high school friends. They hold ebay parties once in a while and when you are invited, you have to bring something to sell - mostly used items that will be for auction. I still have to attend although I had been invited several times. They said it was fun because all the invited participate in the trading - that means you have to sell something and you also have to buy. It looks like fun.