Looking For A Coffee Maker

Discussion in Misc & Others started by thisnthat • Jan 17, 2017.

1. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I don't need anything fancy, but I would like it to be decent. I could just grab one of those $10.00 ones from Walmart, but I would like to hear what others think first. I mean, you can't beat the price on that one, but I think I might want to go a step up from that. If you have any suggestions, I would appreciate hearing about them.

Do you have a trusted brand or do you buy coffee makers from a certain store? Do you think there is much difference between them? I wouldn't mind spending somewhat more for an upgrade, but I don't want to go all out either.

Thanks!

2. Jessika

JessikaActive Member

Threads:
    If you just want something that makes coffee, then a cheap $10.00 walmart maker would be great. If you want to make pots of coffee rather than single use, that should also be fine.

If you are looking for extra options, like single cup makers, timers, coffee pods etc. you will need something a bit more complicated. I think you may have missed some of the sales. Dolce Gusto and Tassimo were both knocked right down for the first weeks of Jan. I settled on a Tassimo because it had a better drinks range but I would only recommend it at £30, not full price!

3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can only afford the most inexpensive coffee maker, so I always buy what's on sale. I saw a commercial of a simple to use coffee maker that makes specialty brews too, the Ninja Coffee Bar. The Ninja Coffee Bar seems simple to use. When I would like specialty coffees I go out and buy a cup. I haven't used the Ninja Coffee Bar, but it seems good.

4. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the advice.

Ha, I was just thinking that I probably missed coffee pots being on sale in the after Christmas sales, but I didn't know that I was going to need one. Mine just broke when I posted this. It just gave out, without warning. They usually start to slow down and then when they get super slow (even after a good cleaning), you know they are about to break. Not this time. It started right up but halfway through it just quit.

I guess I can't complain, since I only paid ten bucks for this one. It has lasted quite a while. Maybe I will just get another one like this. I'd rather replace cheap ones every so often than have to replace expensive ones.

Oh, cool, @Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe. I don't think I've heard of that one. I rarely have fancy coffee drinks, but if I do, it's usually just a mocha or a French vanilla iced coffee. I make them at home (and don't require any special equipment).

5. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    I use a electric percolator, I have had it for YEARS, I got mine from a thrift store, however if you do not like buying used they can be a tad expensive (30 dollars I think) but I think they are well worth it, they are all metal usually and I just feel like they make great coffee and are a bit tougher!

6. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I have never owned a coffee maker. I always prepare instant coffee whenever the need be. Although where I am, coffee is drunk atleast 6 times a day but then noone owns a coffee maker. I think it is cheaper and very easy to prepare coffee at home.

I agree that you can't make the fancy variety though.

7. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not keen on this beverage, though I have a coffee maker at home never to be used ever.
    I've too many electric appliances in my kitchen, and now there's indeed a space crunch. As the taste of coffee felt almost similar on usage of coffee maker on couple of occasions, I thought not to make the thing elaborate further.
    However if someone is an avid fan, coffee maker might offer a diversified range of taste and texture.

8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :)I saw the commercial on television about Ninja Coffee Maker. I like cappuccino, it's strong and sweet. I got my first taste from a coffee machine at the hospital cafe when my Mom went to the hospital. I liked it and cost only 1.79. I don't like too hot coffee either so I put ice water into my coffee and it becomes just almost warm, and drinkable to me.

9. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I don't mind buying used. Maybe I'll look on eBay. This sounds like an interesting idea. I've never owned a percolator, but I know people who have. They all seem to like them, giving many of the same comments you did. I should probably check into it. Thanks for the advice.

@Decentlady@Decentlady, while I appreciate your input, I do not care for the taste of instant coffee. I would probably drink it in a pinch if I didn't have anything else, but I'm really not a big fan of this variety. I might be able to do a flavored version of it, but plain instant coffee just doesn't taste very good to me. Thanks for adding to the discussion though. It may work for someone else.

10. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    I think any brand makes the same coffee unless it's an espresso machine, so going for the lowest price might be good. We owned a cheap coffee maker, it was just a small one. It makes around 5 cups of coffee, it was fine since it's just me and my wife who drinks coffee. I think what really matters is the type of coffee and not the coffee maker. Just my opinion.

11. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I get what you're saying. Sometimes cheapest is the way to go, but sometimes, you just get junk. Going a step up above the cheapest might be a better value, because it will probably last longer. Of course, if you have to replace something frequently anyway, you might as well go with cheap (I used to have to replace my coffee maker every year due to hard water, so it made sense to get the cheapest one then. Our water is better here than at the old house. This one lasted like 3-4 years).

I absolutely agree that the coffee makes all the difference. I prefer whole bean. I like to grind it fresh as needed. I have been buying the cheap stuff lately though, which is already ground. It just isn't the same.