Looking for a new desktop PC

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by rico_1978 • Sep 4, 2012.

1. rico_1978

rico_1978New Member

Threads:
    Hi, I hope you can point me in the right direction. I'm looking for a new desktop PC and not sure whether I should build one myself or just go for something prebuilt? I've recently purchased my parents a Zoostorm system which cost £230 without an operating system (I was feeling a bit lazy and wasn't in the mood to build one myself). Anyway it turned out to be a pretty decent computer for what I paid for it. Anyway I've got a budget of about £400 just for the base unit. Any suggestions on what I should do or where I should look for a PC?

2. FortisLupus

FortisLupusNew Member

Threads:
    Hi Rico.

It's always better to build your own system, where feasible. That way you know exactly what you're getting. As a Consultant I'm asked this question many, many times.

The first question I always ask is "What exactly do you want the PC for?"

There are literally hundreds of offers on the high street, and online, that look fantastic value for money. Though for people looking for a gaming system on a budget of less than £800, the choices are really quite slim. Not many high street chains will offer you a decent, or even semi-decent gaming machine for £400. Though if you know where to look, you can find some pretty good bargains.

For instance; there's a seller on eBay, one that I would recommend, called "viboxltd" that has some pretty awesome custom built machines for sale. One of note contains an AMD Bulldozer FX-4100 4.0GHz Quad Core CPU, 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sports memory running at 1333MHz. A whole 1TB Hard Drive, ATI Radeon HD 6450 1GB Graphics Card. All seated on a high performance motherboard with a CD/DVD-ReWriter (+/-) in a Stylish Gaming Case & powered by a 450W PSU.
    Windows OS is not included, although you can purchase it from them as an upgrade if needed, and it comes with a FREE 1 Year Warranty (upgradable).

On the whole it's quite the gaming machine for those on a budget, and one that wouldn't look out of place at any LAN party.
    Details on the system, and a look at the graphics at work can be viewed on YouTube at

Hope this helps, and good luck with your search :)

*Edit* Forgot to mention, the PC listed above is well under your budget of £400...

#2Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  3. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    Just visit ebay or amazon for quality Desktop PCs at competitive prices.
    Check these links:

4. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    If you know how to get the best deal on materials and you know the best way of constructing the computer, then sure, making one is the better solution. On the other hand, if you cannot do these things, then you're better off buying one made by experts. However, in either case, I recommend a lot of research unless you already know enough about this stuff.

5. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Be careful here. I would just make sure that you are not getting something that would be obsolete here in a few years, or maybe even less than that. That is where my mind has gone to lately with trying to spend my money wisely.