Looking For Advice On Memory Sticks

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Theo • Jan 16, 2018.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I need some new memory sticks, and since USB 3.0 is now available is it better to only get these or is USB 2.0 safer in case of compatibility issues? I know USB 3.0 is faster, but I'm more concerned about any issues that may arise using them

Also is it better to buy 32G or 16G? I know you can buy with more storage, but as they are expensive I am more afraid of losing them.

2. mbuzma

mbuzmaActive Member

Threads:
    You don't have to worry about compatibility issues. USB 3.0 is backwards compatible with USB 2.0, which means that an USB 3.0 flash stick/drive should work just fine in a USB 2.0 port, albeit with reduced speed/performance.
    As for capacity, neither 32 GB nor 16 GB flash drives are expensive these days. About 10 years ago, I bought a 1 GB flash drive and it costed more than an average 16 GB drive costs these days. Buy a bigger drive if you think you might need the larger capacity, otherwise a 16 GB one will obviously be fine.

3. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    I think that 32GB has to be a better option because it has more capacity, so you end up spending less when comparing with the GB amount you get. As for 3.0 speed, don't forget the device you'll plug it too has to be fairly modern as well to support that speed. ;)

4. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it's better to go for USB 3.00 version since it's compatible with all the USB ports available in your devices. The only difference is that if your device is not 3.00 compatible, the drive still works fine but with reduced transfer speed. However, if you have a 3.00 drive that will be useful if you opt for a device with 3.00 port. I have a pen drive 32 GB that works with both 3.00 and 2.00 ports as well older version ports.

5. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Yep, that's true. There's no point in getting a 2.0 USB stick when you have a 3.0 available. The same with the dimension. We think 32GB is too much, but before we know it we need more space lol, and if we haven't bought it, it's gonna cost us extra.

6. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    By the way there is not much difference in the price of 32 GB and 16 GB. Same is the case if you go for external drive of 500 GB, 1 TB or 2 TB capacities. If you go for higher than 2 TB capacity external drive then of course the price goes up. I have a drive of 2 TB as I change my laptop almost every year so keep all my images and articles saved in my ED. Pen Drive is for traveling purpose only.

7. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, that's exactly the point! For a little more money we get a superior drive, so it's really worth it, as we will have not only more storage capacity, but also speed of transfer. Those crazy slow transfer times are over, it was crazy like 30 minutes to transfer some GB...

8. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for your replies. I got a 16GB on sale for £6 which will do the trick as I have lots of freebie 1GB ones that I can use to store other files on. It's only for back up. I many invest in a 32GB later on, but things like movies and photos I can store in the cloud. I only want my documents on a memory stick because I hoard and need to delete stuff I really don't need.

9. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with you but I need higher capacity external drive as I do not transfer all my images to my laptop but store them on drives from my cameras directly. I don't want to take risk in case my drive gets corrupted so sometimes I use a backup on a separate drive to make it double sure. However, one of the reasons for having multiple drives is that I want to keep my work separate from my offline job related to online jobs.

10. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    True, it's best to have more memory if you have lots of images that you need to save, and I don't. It's more documents right now, although I am thinking of buying a stick just for images because they do take up so much more memory than you think. It's been good deleting stuff to be honest that I didn't need or that were duplicates and that took up memory.

11. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    With my current experience with memory sticks and particularly my 32 gigabytes memory card which all of a sudden went blank damaged with so sign. I just woke up one day and put my device on and it asked me to format the memory card, which I refused to do. It gave me the prompt message again and I declined as well only for me to see no memory card in the device. I lost my 32 gigabytes of data stored, ever since then I haven't bring myself up to buying any new memory sticks.

12. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    I think making plans and options for back up memory is a nice idea because with my experience to what happened to my 32 gigabytes, had I used any spare memory sticks for backups, I wouldn't be feeling the soreness I'm feeling now towards anything called external memory drives.

13. fishbate

fishbateNew Member

Threads:
    You really don't have to worry about buying memory sticks, all you have to do is check the reputation of the manufacturer. You can check it via reviews and comments on their sites or other platforms. This will assure you that what you are getting is top of the line. Memory sticks are made plug and play so every unit supports a variety of system environment. There are some special memory sticks that have a built in security option but of course that would cost you a bit more.

Maintaining your usb stick is the best way to make it last more.. The basic is keeping your USB in a dry place, Do not unplug or plug the usb with great force it may deform the i/o ports and always assure that a good anti virus on the device is available( on the host unit).

A usb stick with the highest data storage capacity is a good choice, just always remember to backup your important files.