Lotion, For Super Dry Skin

Discussion in Product Reviews started by LadyMama • Feb 3, 2015.

1. LadyMama

LadyMamaNew Member

Threads:
    I have eczema, and another skin condition that causes my skin to become dry and flaky and sometimes hurt. I have used Vaseline, Eucerin, Jergens, Cortisone and nothing. I miss how soft my skin felt and I want that back. I am open for suggestions, I thinking of baby oil and just going into a glad wrap cocoon.

2. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Have you tried E45 cream at all? The packaging has a very clinical feel to it but it's great for dry skin, eczema and flaking. It is relatively inexpensive and they also do a range of other toiletries such as body lotion, bath foam and body wash.

Baby oil might be a great idea but make sure that it's not going to irritate any deep cracks you might have in your skin.

3. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know if you've tried Aveeno but that's my usual go-to. Though if you have eczema you may need a clinical strength one or a special prescribed one that won't make your eczema worse. What does your doctor say?

4. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Have you checked out WebMD? Knowing some of the causes of eczema could probably help. Sometimes it could be agitated by products that you are using or have used for a long period of time. Also check out what vitamins or minerals that help the skin - inside out. Also mentioned check with your doctor.

My skin gets dry in the colder months too. I've tried everything except Jergen's but I personally like Nivea.

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Make sure you are not irrating your condition with a metal that maybe touching your sking, I find I can not put any metal on my skin when I break out. I also get very dry during the winter months and have found Neutrogena to be a very good cream for the condition. I saw this post on another thread here on the form that this product works for dry skin you may want to look at the information it is not in the states.

6. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have any skin conditions aside from my skin being really sensitive and sometimes allergic to certain ingredients. However, I recommend the brand Kiehl's for something like what you have. They make hypoallergenic and fragrance free skincare products, lotions, shampoo and conditioners. They are very good and their products are very mild and gentle, but still do what they are supposed to. I have never had any problems with any of their products and my skin is very sensitive and allergic. I also recommend the brand Aveeno from the drugstore if you were not looking to spend a lot of money.

7. Juno

JunoActive Member

Threads:
    I like Aquaphor, it is really good for moisturizing and easy on sensitive skin. I first learned about it when the doctor recommended it for my son. He was a baby and his skin was breaking out. The doctor said it was from dry skin and since he was a baby, he was also sensitive to some lotions.

8. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd also recommend E45, it's a fantastic product. It's very luxurious without being overly greasy. I used to have a friend who suffered badly with Eczma and an English friend recommended it to her. Back then we couldn't get it here. But once my friend realised how good it was, she had somebody send it to her each time she ran out. It was that good.

9. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My family suffers from dry skin. Especially my mother. Her younger children have inherited this trait, or so it seems, and itching comes along with it, which makes it even worse. They have been to the doctors and accrued a number of different strength creams. Some were steroid creams, and others were E45, and none of them have really been all that effective.

10. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    How about vitamin E oil, or olive oil? If your skin isn't sensitive to either one of these products, I would try them. Lotions are okay, but oils can really make dry skin feel very moisturized and they don't have a lot of additives in them. Also try some organic coconut oil, from some place like Trader Joe's, Target or anywhere you can find it being sold.

11. blur92

blur92Active Member

Threads:
    My mother was recently recommended Curel by our family physician. She had a bad case of eczema. I also suffer from eczema and extremely dry skin. I assure you this brand works very efficiently. I have tried many of the ones you listed, but Curel beats them all. You should really try it.

12. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    Believe it or not, have you tried Crisco? I can't remember what famous movie star said they used it, but you might want to give it a try. Obviously, it would be pretty greasy so it's something you would want to put on at bedtime and let it soak in overnight. Depending on the affected area, you'll need to wear cotton socks or gloves, long sleeves, etc. If it doesn't work for your skin, you can always cook with it!

13. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Suave? I use suave and it is very good. But what I think you really need is a dermatologist. It is very uncommon that a person has used so many products and none has been found to work. May be you need something different. I suggest that if none of our suggestions work-try visiting a dermatologist. All the best.

14. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    How about you use hypoallergenic baby lotions instead? The way I see it, you have hypersensitive skin that won't accept just any products. Though I don't have extra sensitive skin, I consider Johnson & Johnson baby lotions as my saving grace. The said products are mild and are made up of ingredients that aren't harmful to your skin.

15. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Having a dry and flaky skin are often signs of a certain medical condition. It would be best to consult a dermatologist so the products you are using are suitable and will treat your skin condition. You may try using Physiogel lotion as it is recommended by some dermatologists. If you prefer a natural way of treating it, do try virgin coconut oil. It does wonders on skin and do not contain chemicals that may worsen your condition.

16. Happy247

Happy247Member

Threads:
    I have dry skin from time to time. I usually use shae butter or cocoa butter on my skin. Some others here have mentioned vitamin e oil and virgin coconut oil. These are good natural products to use as well but I would recommend to visit with your doctor first. I was told that skin conditions originate from the inside of the body so maybe its something that's needs to be treated internally first.

17. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    Baby oil with a glad wrap caccoon? Lol I have never heard that one before. Recently I've started using coconut oil for just about EVERYTHING. I put it in a warm bath, I use it in my hair and even to clean! I've found information everywhere about how awesome it is. Here's an article I found about

you can use it for.

18. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have very dry skin, especially in the wintertime, so I feel for you. I used to cover my hands, elbows, and feet in Vaseline and then wrap them in Glad Wrap (or similar) overnight. I don't have to do that any more. I now use Oil of Olay products (

) and they are wonderful. The in shower one is the best for me. It is the only thing that has ever worked so well, especially for healing my elbows.

19. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    Cortisone should work a little bit better than regular creams for exczema. I know I had this a long time ago and it is very hard to get rid of. Sometimes I think a plain cream can be even more irritating and sting quite a bit. There is a water barrier cream by 3m called Cavilon, I wonder if that would help. I use it for my kids cheeks when they dry and windburned in the winter, and it usually gets their skin back to normal overnight.

20. BargainPhoenix

BargainPhoenixMember

Threads:
    This is your answer. Please give it a try. After your bath or shower, do not rub the towel on your skin to dry. Immediately, even with water pellets on your skin use a Johnson & Johnson baby oil GEL. Squeeze quarter size amounts into your hands and rub them together and apply like lotion to every inch of your body. THEN on top of that use a good quality lotion such as Vaseline or Nivea or even your favorite perfumed lotion. That layer of baby oil gel underneath will make that scent last all day. Then get dressed. Trust me. Your skin will stay moisturized up until your next shower and bath. Do this consistently and you will heal your dry skin in a very short amount of time.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned shea butter. Not any store brand shea butter but the 100% pure African shea butters sold at your nearest flea market or ethnic store. You would use it the same way you would use the baby oil gel. Actually since you mentioned suffering from Eczema, shea butter is a natural healer for that so I'd recommend you go that route. Good luck!