Lots Of Cheap Toys Or One Expensive Item

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by lizzief79 • Jul 12, 2015.

1. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    Do you think that buying lots of cheap toys instead of saving for one really good item that costs more is a false economy? Over the years, to try and make a pile of presents look better, I have bought lots of cheaper items. All that seems to happen though is that I end up with broken bits of plastic and a lot of clutter all over The House. Do children actually appreciate the value of an item if they are only given one present that is really good?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think children, depending on the age can distinguish quality. I remember buying a Harrods bear for my cousin and she didn't know it was a limited edition that was worth something and played with it for a a few minutes and dumped it. I thought I was making an investment!

I think toys are transient and you shouldn't spend too much on them as children will grow tired of them.

3. wannatakeawalk

wannatakeawalkNew Member

Threads:
    I agree with you there. Kids have fun opening presents, ripping paper, making a mess, and playing with cardboard boxes. The idea of getting a present, the ritual of opening the present, is more important than the present itself up to a certain age. Even my 10 year old niece was happy with a $4 purchase of headbands as a small gift.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We only buy what we know the kids will want or need.. we (and the children) don't care about what it looks like under the tree. We raised our children to appreciate everything they have and they honestly don't ask for much.

5. TalTBest

TalTBestNew Member

Threads:
    I think that the best solution is trying to buy the most unbreakable things that you can find, And if you can't find some, so cheap ones are the best, because the children's taste changes with the age.

6. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I also agree that the nature of children is to play so hard, with little control and things always get broken or lost. It just makes sense not to spend too much, because you are going to have to continually replenish the toys. Perhaps as they get older, the quality can take the lead.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I just buy lots of cheaper toys when the child is very young and my reasoning behind it is that they won't remember much of it when they grow up anyway. Whatever I save from skimping out initially, I then try and accumulate for them for when they grow older and develop more specific na possibly more expensive tastes. I have a nephew that is now grown up and is enjoying lots of video game gifts from me because I chose to save my money for now when he can actually appreciate it and I think he is fairly pleased with my decision.

8. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    This is the one area where I don’t think buying one expensive item is a good idea, particularly for younger children. Even the most careful, fastidious kids might break an item, or outgrow it eventually. I don’t know if I’d go for lots of super-cheap things as I wouldn’t want to give a child anything that’ll break or wear out too quickly. I think I’d set an upper limit and stick to it.

9. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    For my kid, we just buy him cheap toys. The important thing is to have lots of different toys as he gets bored very easily with just a few toys. He will only play with it for a few minutes then get cranky after. So we would need to give him a different one.

When he gets older, I would give him the privilege of choosing his own toys. Maybe I will bring him to the store and have him pick which he likes. For now, our little system works.

10. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Buy the kids a lot of cheap toys because they can be very picky . . .

Get them just one expensive toy and for some reason the kid doesn't like it, the money you spent on that toy would have been wasted. To avoid wasting your money thusly buy many, cheap toys. The kids will like some of them. Now that would be money well spent.

11. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When my daughter was little, I would just get her the toy that she wanted most. So if she begged me for a Blue's Clues toy, I would concentrate on getting the main toy that she wanted and then maybe a couple of Blue's Clues books if I had money left over. It was more about granting her wish than piling cheap toys around the tree.

12. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    It honestly depends on the situation, and the age of the child. If an expensive item is something that would be used a lot then I would think that is a good idea, but at the same time I also think that it's good for children to have plenty to open on their birthday and at Christmas, so perhaps for this reason I would go for several cheaper items - I don't know. When I was younger, I would get one "main" present and then lots of small presents.

13. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, we usually went with the one "main" present and then cheaper stuff too.

Honestly though, when kids are little, they are usually happy with everything. They are just excited to get presents and to have new stuff to play with. Well, unless they're spoiled brats. In that case, you won't please them anyway, so let their parents worry about it.

For most kids, I buy whatever I think they will like and will hopefully be fun (and is age appropriate). I look for cheap prices but not cheaply made junk.

14. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I always got a "main" present alongside several small ones. The thing is, kids get bored so easily so there's little sense in blowing the budget on one expensive item if it's just going to be ignored after a couple of hours.

15. BargainBasement

BargainBasementNew Member

Threads:
    I think it truly depends on the personality and age of the child. My daughter, though she's only four, usually has one or two high-priced wishlist items. For example, she is really hankering after an American Girl doll. I know that she will take good care of it if we get it for her, because she has always treated her dolls with care. Another criteria I have regarding expensive gifts is how badly the child wants it. My daughter has wanted this doll since last October. She still looks at the catalog they sent us last year (unsolicited, for the record--how did they know???) and points out her favorite dolls. I'm pretty sure it's not just a passing phase, so I think it would be worth it.

I like getting kids that one special gift they were really hoping for, of seeing their eyes light up when their wish comes true--think Ralph in A Christmas Story. I throw in a few fun little toys too, mostly in stockings, but I personally vote for quality over quantity.

16. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I like to buy quality toys that last. I find when you buy inexpensive toys like Dollar Store toys they break after a day or two and you end up throwing them out. I also look at the play value of a toy. Will the toy keep my child playing with it longer than a few minutes or days? Certain toys like Lego - retain their play value for years. My twelve year old still plays with the same Lego he's had since he was 6. There are these great blocks called Keva planks that have great play value. They are great for building structures. They are so simple but they absolutely keep kids engaged for hours building with them. Clean up is easy too.

17. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    I always got a main present along with lots of little bits and bobs, but watching your kids opening and ripping the paper and seeing there faces is one of the best parts, especially on Christmas morning or Birthdays! I love watching my daughter face.