Lottery Tickets As Gifts

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by blues • Feb 3, 2015.

1. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't give someone a lottery ticket, because if it's not a winner, then it's a worthless gift.
    I'd rather give them something tangible that they can actually use, and that isn't dependent on luck.

2. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it is a fun little add on to a gift, or a nice touch to add to a card, if you generally just give that person a card. I enjoy lottery tickets from time to time, so it wouldn't bother me to receive them as a gift or tucked into a card. Just imagine if they did win... you just gave the best gift ever.

I would never try to fight the person for the winnings if they did win. That's like taking back a gift. Sure, you'd wish it were you who won, but you gave them the ticket. It's theirs and their winnings. I would hope they would share. I would share with the person who bought me the lottery ticket, if I won.

3. Happy247

Happy247Member

Threads:
    I think that lottery/scratch off tickets are a wonderful gift. I love receiving them, especially when I win. That's just free money for me. My last scratch off ticket for my birthday won me $500. I would rather receive that than some "thoughtful" gift that I can't use or that will end up on my shelf collecting dust.

Before my mother-in-law passed away, my husband and I always got her scratch off tickets for every occasion. It was such a joy for her to have so many. And to win and have extra money for that month was a plus. She was the luckiest woman in the world when it came to the lottery.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    We do lottery tickets as stocking stuffers quite often. They're cheap, but still fun and may end up being worth more than you realize.

We have a couple family friends that already have everything they could possibly want and the money to buy anything else, so they're always tough to buy for. They love getting lottery tickets, though, because they're fun and they've won a lot off them before.

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never have and maybe never will. Besides, there's no scratch-it-to-win type of lottery tickets here in my country. The lottery here requires buyers to really pick numbers and see if they have the chance to win something. I don't like to give lottery tickets as gifts because they're not that useful unless the person you gave them to is lucky enough to win even the smallest of prizes.

6. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I don't see the problem in giving a lottery ticket as gift if say its the scartcher type ticket. At least even if the person doesn't win they can stil have fun scratching the ticket. For that matter it could make a good shower type gift for all the guest sort of a game to see if anyone will actually win something or not. So, I don't see any problem with it especially if the person its being given to likes to play the lottery games. There are some people who don't like to play so such a gift wouldn't be a good idea for them.

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it would depend on the person that I am getting a gift for. One daughter it would not be appreciated, the other daughter would be very happy to get as many tickets as she can get her hands on. She purchases the scratch offs all the time and has been very lucky with them.

8. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's an awful idea, sorry. What is that supposed to tell the person? "I didn't really care to put any effort into picking up something nice and personal, so here's a cheap ticket from the gas station down the road". Not to mention it's completely worthless, since we all know the odds of winning..

9. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    Oh this is one that I like to give and receive. It is fun, and we do this for Christmas exchange present event. The thrill of getting some cash out of the lottery tickets are contagious as everyone wants to get the tickets themselves.

10. lordrenly

lordrenlyActive Member

Threads:
    It clearly has some surprise value, which makes it somehow a good choice for a gift. I think it is slightly better than a regular gift card. However, I would judge the situation whether it is appropriate to give lottery tickets as a gift. For example, it is not something that I want to give my family members and boss but I think it is a good gift for your buddies compared to mundane gifts like clothes, etc.

11. laurelbell85

laurelbell85Member

Threads:
    I do not see a problem with giving lottery tickets as gifts. I mean, why not? I guess just make sure you spend enough. Don't just buy $5 worth or something. My dad used to give each of my sisters and I $5 in $1 scratch offs in our stockings each year for Christmas. I am carrying on the tradition with my little one he he.

12. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I like giving the scratch lottery tickets as gifts, they are always fun to do and there's a small chance you can win. I've never actually given lottery tickets as a gift but I don't see why not. It's just a little something to add to the present you are already giving someone. Imagine if you give someone a winning ticket how great that would be.

Edit:

I don't see giving a lottery ticket as a gift as a problem. It's just a fun extra to give someone on top of the gift you are already giving. I wouldn't give someone $50 in lotto tickets. I think the money could be better spent. I've given the scratch lotto tickets before and received them. They are always fun and you usually win something even if it's a few dollars.

#32Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2016
  13. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I actually kind of like the lottery ticket as a gift. I can easily see how some people do not like it and write it off, but for some reason I have no problem with it. Maybe it is because it is just a staple in my household and my father always bought us each one growing up. Of course we never won, but a little excitement is never a bad thing.

14. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A supervisor in my former office has that habit of giving lottery tickets for gifts. There was no lotto yet at the time and what we have was the sweepstakes. Although it was only one ticket as a birthday gift, a prayer to win goes with it. Unfortunately, no one had won with those gift tickets. In fairness to the giver, I think that is a practical gift if you have no money to buy an item worth wrapping. At least the chance of winning is there.

15. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    I would give lottery tickets or scratch offs as a gift, but I see these types of gifts more like a stocking stuffer type gift. I wouldn't want to buy a certain number of tickets and there weren't any winners in the group at all, so I would want to put other little gifts with the lottery tickets too.