Low Cost Low Calorie Way To Cut Chocolate Cravings

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Clairelouise84 • May 11, 2015.

1. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84Member

Threads:
    I have recently found a great way to give myself a little chocolate without being unhealthy or breaking the bank. Kids cereals, I never thought of it, but I was thinking about it the other day and thought "kids cereals are highly regulated so they can't contain too much sugar, legally as they have to have under a certain amount per 100g to be able to go on the shelves!" So I looked at some kids chocolate squares and hey presto, not too bad on calories or sugar, filling and sweet.
    How do you calm your chocolate cravings on a budget?

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Quaker Oats has this chocolate-flavored instant oat meal pack and I regularly consume it, not necessarily to satisfy my chocolate cravings but simply because I like the taste of this particular oat meal variant. In addition, I know full well that compared to chocolate bars and sweets, this one's a better bargain. I usually buy chocolate bars like Snickers, Toblerone and KitKat on a whim. Because they're full of calories and can drastically increase your blood sugar levels, I endeavor to drink 3 or more glasses of water immediately after eating them.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I cut down by having richer chocolate. I appreciate good chocolate and so I prefer to have a better quality one than more chocolate.

I also find having resealable pouches of chocolate helps, because you don't feel you have to finish the pack. When I eat a bar, I feel I have to finish it and thus you end up eating more unless you share a bar.

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    There's a recipe for chocolate cake which uses mashed ripe banana in place of the oil. It tastes surprisingly good too, and you really don't notice the banana flavor, but it keeps the cake really moist without adding any oil or fat. Here is one recipe for it:

Ripe bananas are usually dirt cheap at the grocery stores - especially discount grocery stores, since they are priced to sell asap. If you buy the other main ingredients in bulk or in large size, such as the cocoa powder and the flour, you can keep the costs down on those as well.

5. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84Member

Threads:
    That sounds nice, I would definitely try that one, I love oats and they fill you up really well too when most sweet stuff just seems to leave you feeling more hungry and wanting more and more of the sugar!

6. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84Member

Threads:
    That's very true, I tend to eat the whole one no matter how big it is, I know I could reseal it myself but I never do, I have been trying dark chocolate and it has been very tasty but I miss the sugar and cream I think!

7. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84Member

Threads:
    Wow, thank you! I will definitely try this! I love bananas and chocolate... and cake! Thanks for this, I will definitely give it a go, luckily I have most of the stuff in the cupboards from when I was baking before I went on a diet!