Low Flow Shower Heads. Worth it?

Discussion in Water started by brentcsi101 • Apr 16, 2012.

1. brentcsi101

brentcsi101New Member

Threads:
    I've been thinking of switching my shower heads over to the low flow ones to save money. Will they save money over the long run? Some of the ones in stores cost quite a bit of money, so I'm wondering if it's really worth it. And will I actually notice a difference? Thanks.

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    They are supposed to save you on both your water bill and your heating bill so I think that you would save money in the long run. Here's a link for information on how to calculate what your savings could be:

From what I have heard it will not be that much of a difference.

3. brentcsi101

brentcsi101New Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the article! I read it and now I think I'm going to make the plunge some time later in the month. Hopefully I will notice a decent difference on my water bill since water's getting so expensive now.

4. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    We have a low flow shower head, and we got ours free of charge in Europe, although I can't remember which company we got it from - it may have been Energia, but I couldn't swear to it. Anyway, I Googled 'free low flow shower heads' and came up with this, which may help, if you're in the USA:

5. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    Low flow shower heads will save money on your water bill, but it will cost you your hair. My low flow shower head makes my hair look horrible because there isn't enough pressure in the water. It makes your hair look matted and unkempt. I prefer the normal shower heads, but I use low flow to save a couple of bucks. You have to ask yourself pay full price on the water bill, or have my hair look like crap and save some money. The choice is yours, I personally feel like the low flow shower heads could work more efficiently.

6. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I like to use the shower. It's a pleasure to feel the needles of water on my skin. At times, the water pressure is low. That's when taking a shower loses its appeal for me. So there's no way I am going to spend money to get a low flow shower. Water is not that expensive where I live.

7. Anna T

Anna TMember

Threads:
    I have never tried them, but I have a friend whose parents use the low flow heads, and she complains about them all the time. She says it feels like you have to just jump around in the shower to get your whole body wet. I know they might save money, but my shower time is my "me" time in many cases. I would hate not to have enough water pressure to get really clean.

8. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    Personally I have had negative experiences with them. The stream usually makes your shower have to run another 5 - 10 minutes because you can't get suds out. My husband recently purchased a $4 all-chrome nozzle made for low pressure showers. This doesn't minimize the pressure of your water like "low flow" shower heads do - in fact what it does is the opposite. It increases the water pressure in your shower by the simple mechanism of a shower head. He got it at Wal-Mart and honestly I cannot complain. It's inexpensive, works like a charm and looks great.

9. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I couldn't use one of these at all, but then again I don't need to. I take five minute showers except during especially painful monthly and then I add another five minutes. Really if I were to add such a thing it's be because my younger sister cheerfully takes 30 minute showers despite her not contributing anything to the household fund.

10. j_pin

j_pinActive Member

Threads:
    I tried a low flow shower head and I really hated it. It didn't give out enough water pressure for me to feel like I was getting a clean one. They may save you on water, but not enough for me to deal with it.

11. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    I have tried them before in a hotel and found them to save water yes. However, helping in getting you clean no. So you would have to look at this aspect carefully because I used twice the amount of water to rinse off and get clean!

12. DontFan

DontFanMember

Threads:
    Definitely worth the money (well unless you go over board with the shower heard design ..)
    It is one of the Top5 "water saving" improvements you can do at home and probably one of the easiest to implement.
    You save both on the water consumption, the heating and also the pleasure of a nice shower !