Low Glycaemic Index Foods

Discussion in Food & Drink started by remnant • Jun 11, 2016.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    A person can save alot in terms of spending on food by abstaining from high sugar release foods. Most fast foods are in this category. They spike the blood sugar level and then it abruptly reduces resulting in constant hunger pangs and health problems like obesity. Low sugar release foods keep one fuller for longer periods of time and one eats less. They are also less costly and include sweet potatoes and arrowroots.

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm not an expert but we do have to watch out for diabetes in our family so we were always advised to watch what we eat. We tend to be told to stay away from sugary drinks the most and also high carbohydrate type dishes like rice and potatoes, which is kind of a bummer since we do eat rice primarily in our country and it's what we've grown used to eating. A good substitute supposedly is brown rice and black rice but I've found that they aren't nearly as good in terms of taste to regular white rice. The sodas and juices are much easier to give up, as I've found, but I'm just way too used to white rice at this point so I just try and eat less of it.

3. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some of these foods are less costly, but I don't know if that's the case overall. I watch my carbs (especially sugar), so I add a lot of protein and fiber to my eating plan. Depending on the type of protein, some can be a bit expensive, such as fish, seafood, and meat. Of course, watching for sales helps.

Sweet potatoes tend to cost a lot more than regular potatoes do around here, but if you're comparing them to meat (or junk food) then yeah, I guess they're good for savings.

I figure the overall cost is better though, when we look at the cost of healthcare. :)