Low-income discounts for electric service..

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by classy_ally • Jun 25, 2012.

1. classy_ally

classy_allyMember

Threads:
    I am low income and I get SNAP benefits from my county. Recently I learned that I can get a discount on phone service and my electric bill. I was excited about that option because it's summer and the bills get pretty high. I can't stand to be hot. I signed up for the program and I get about $10-$15 off my monthly bill. I am so grateful for the assistance.

Do you have that type of discount with your electric service? If not, you should research it.:)

2. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    I do have this type of discount available, but it is only if you earn less then like 800 a month in my area. Not only that you have to look for the program months in advance before you need to use it.

3. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the tip. I am SUPER low income, although I still have assets so I'm not sure I would qualify, but I will check it out.

4. jilliansorenson

jilliansorensonNew Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have this discount in my area and also with the gas company. My mom is low-income also so she uses all of these things. She is also getting a senior discount when she turns 60 (in a month) where the gas company will seal up her house to save money on the heat leaking out. Definitely always look for senior discounts as well - if not for you, then for your parents! There's a free AARP kindle book of discounts on Amazon right now for the year 2013.

5. tspires2

tspires2Member

Threads:
    That is good to know! My mother is law needs assistance she tends to go stay with someone when it is really cold so she doesn't have to try and stay warm (she uses space heaters) which are not safe either! We will check into that! Is this in addition to a senior discount I wonder? Maybe she can get both!

6. dorann

dorannMember

Threads:
    Our electric company doesn't do any kind of discounts for people that are lower income, but there are several community resources around here that will help you out when you are struggling to pay your bill if they have the money in the budget. I really wish that they would give a discount to all people that were struggling, but I think people would take advantage of the service.

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I don't think ours does discounts like this either.

What I do know is that there's something in place that doesn't allow the company to shut off electricity during the winter months, though. I don't know if that's based on the city, county, or state, but they don't want people to lose heat during the super cold winters and potentially die. So if you get behind during the winter months, you're still safe.

8. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's good that they have this option for those with a lower income. I wish I was able to save on my utility bills...they run between $500 and $600 a month, even though we try to be conservative and there are only two of us. The bills are so high in our area that they make us low income, even though we aren't!

9. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's good to know about having help for utilities! Here in Hawaii we have LIHEAP, Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program:

. It's from the government. It is for people in specific incomes. Here on Oahu we apply at HCAP, Honolulu Community Action Program at different places on the island. Most places are very busy come June when people apply for the program. My Mother applies for it and every year we get help for paying our electricity. Some places are so busy they stand in line from 3AM to apply. We go to the other side of the island with transportation ala my cousin to apply on the Windward side. It's well worth getting assistance that makes life so much better!