low maintenance landscaping

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Trex78 • Oct 3, 2014.

1. Trex78

Trex78Member

Threads:
    I live in the desert region of the US.

In addition to considering water conservation efforts, its easier to have lower maintenance vegetation to pretty up your yard.

Two great bushes that are extremely common in this part of the country are called the Mexican Bird of Paradise, and the Texas Sage. In different regions, the plants may have differing names, so their scientific names of the plants are Leucophyllum frutescens and Caesalpinia pulcherrima, respectively. Both plants are native to this general nick of the world, and require little water to flourish. As a matter of fact, they can pretty much live on a desert-condition annual rainfall, although I wouldn't recommend testing it.

And in addition to the low-water, low-maintenance qualities that I've already mentioned, both these species of plant are extremely beautiful when in flower. The Texas Sage in particular I find stunning. When in flower, it looks like a gigantic, purple fireball.

Does anybody have any other recommendations for low-water, low-maintenance plants? How about something that provides some nice shade?

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Arabian Jasmine is lovely, fragrant, low maintenance and produced shade once it gets big enough. It can grow up to 10 feet. It blooms from June to September. The blooms often open at night and can be used for a tea. arabian_jasmine_small. I'm going to try to attach a photo of it. I have not done this before. But I love the photos you posted! I hope more people post photos of plants. They are so colorful. I love sage as a spice but did not know what the bloom looked like!