Low oil pressure is flickering

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by lindbergh • Nov 22, 2014.

1. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I noticed two days ago that the "low oil pressure" light sometimes would flicker. I checked the dipstick this morning and the reading shows that it's full. What do you think could be the problem? Is this serious? How much would it cost? I just had my cylinder head gasket changed. Could this problem be related to the change in the gasket?

2. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    How long since you had the oil changed ? Was it a dark color on the dipstick ? It is possible that the oil filter has gotten plugged up and the oil is not getting through to the engine like it should. Since you have checked the oil and it was at the proper level, then the filter is the next thing to have checked, but you should just take it in and get the oil changed at the same time . Youhave to drain all of the oil out to change the filter anyway, and if the the oil is bad enough to clog the filter, it needs to be changed.

Also, if you have a high-mileage engine, then put in a quart of Lucas Oil Treatment when you have the oil changed.
    Get this done right away ! Flickering oil light can be a serious problem if not attended to immediately.

3. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think I had may oil changed way back in, uh, April of this year I think... I'm not sure how dark is dark, but I think it's just the normal color of the oil when I check the dipstick.
    I guess I'll need to have my oil changed then. I hope that it's not that serious. Anyway, what will happen if the flickering oil light is not immediately attended to? What possible problems would arise?

4. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When the oil light is flickering, it means that the oil that is actually getting to the engine is not enough to lubricate it properly to run right. Without oil to lubricate it; the engine will seize up, and then you have a worthless car. This is nothing to take chances on . A $30 oil change is better than a $3000 car, for sure !

It IS possible that you have a sensor going out and that is making the oil light flicker. However, it is much more likely that it is some kind of a problem that is causing oil not to get to the engine properly. There are other things that could be causing this (I am NOT a mechanic) but changing the oil and getting a new filter put in is a good place to start tracking the problem down.
    If that doesn't stop the light from flickering, then find someone who works on cars to look at it and see what they think might be the problem.
    But , don't just keep driving it like it is and take the chance of ruining the engine.