Luvsome Cat Litter

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Diane Lane • Mar 12, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I normally stick to the big name cat litters, but I was having a problem with the large litter granules sticking like cement in one of my cat's paws, so decided to look for a different cat litter.

I've had cats for years, but until I had this problem, I didn't realize how different cat litters can be. Luvsome is a Kroger product, so that's where I purchased it. The litter is softer and more like sand than larger hard granules. It doesn't form into hard clumps when it gets wet, but is more clay-like, and holds together in that fashion.

It does a good job of covering up the litter box odors when my cats take the time to actually cover their business, and the price is definitely right, especially if you can find it on sale.

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I might try that the next time I go to Kroger. You can find cat litter for a buck at Family Dollar, but my cat hates that...and it leaves a lot of dust in the air, as well, so I have resolved not to buy that again. Some cat litters can be really high in price though like those litter crystals.

3. Diane Lane

Threads:
    Yes @Ke Gordon@Ke Gordon My cats and I all have asthma, and cat litter dust is a huge issue for me. I also have a problem with some of the scents. As I said, I never realized there was so much difference among the various brands. I thought cat litter was cat litter, probably because when I started out, I was a kid and non-scoopable clay litter was the only type available. I just didn't pay attention over the years to the changes that had taken place, nor how specific they were. I tend to avoid the extra aromatic ones, because they irritate my sinuses and exacerbate our asthma. The Luvsome is not dusty at all, and as I mentioned, it's somewhat sandy and clay-like. I have finicky cats, and tend to keep two different brands here, as well as a few different types and heights of litter boxes.

4. Barkr66

Barkr66New Member

Threads:
    My wife and I run a pet rescue & sanctuary, primarily cats but also retired police K9's who can't be taken by their handlers at their retirement for some reason(I'm a retired handler too). We run through a LOT of litter and are constantly searching for litter that's dust-free and low or no scent. Obviously we've checked all that are available in our area and given them a checkout. Right now we're using the Meijer brand regular and baking soda litter. It's well priced, very little dust and clumps well....all prime considerations when you use 500 lbs of litter a month. Yes, that's right, 500 lbs - we get a half pallet delivered every 2 weeks... and don't even ask about dry cat food...LOL!
    The Luvsome™ brand of litter just started showing up in our local Kroger(last 2 or 3 months) so we'll try it as a possible alternative. We've had disappointing results with ALL the newspaper, vegetable by-product litters--cats will go out of their way to avoid them. So, for those who have a Meijer store nearby, try the litter...and the price is right too..!

5. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I love the Luvsome brand! My cat eats the Luvsome cat food and he likes it more than Friskies. He would get the Friskies sufin turfin food and love it, but when I gradually switched him over to Luvsome he liked that one more and looked forward to it. It's a good brand and the price points are perfect too!

6. Diane Lane

Threads:
    @Barkr66@Barkr66 Thanks so much for helping out the animals. Wow, I had no idea there were retired K9s who didn't have homes. I find that surprising, because it seems so many people would love to have one. I feed strays, but they use the yard as their litter boxes, thankfully. I can barely afford the food and litter I buy, and can't imagine having to provide litter for them, too.

I don't have Meijer nearby, but I'd probably try their pet products if I did. I've tried a few of the corn and wheat litters, but none of them worked for me. Luvsome litter is basic, somewhat lightweight, and as I mentioned, very much like clay. It definitely sticks together, especially if a cat pees a lot, but it's much preferable to the ones that would get stuck to my cat's feet like cement.

@steph84@steph84 I purchased some canned Luvsome food to try out. The cats seem to really like it. I am trying various foods, and they seem to affect the cats differently, so I might end up buying a few different brands and trying to feed them separately.