Mac or PC or both

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Canadianlover • Aug 19, 2014.

1. Canadianlover

CanadianloverMember

Threads:
    Do you own a Mac or PC or both? I don't believe at all in the Windows vs Mac thing anymore since Microsoft and other Computer brands have come a long way. In addition, PCs and Macs have begun to take their own unique roles: Windows is for business and Macs is for arts. I should also mention that Linux, a programmer's operating system can run on a Mac and PC dualboot so there really should be no Market share war as there was in the 90s-early 2000s.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For me it's not a matter of preference. I have a PC because it was the cheaper option. Owning a Mac would have been much better since I have an interest in art but back then Macs were far more expensive. Why pay more for something when a better alternative exists which costs less?

That's probably the reason why most people get themselves PCs. But I've heard rumors that Mac's are getting to be cheaper than PCs so probably we'll see more people opting to buy Macs in future. And what might tip the scales in favor of macs might be this:

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer a Mac. I bought an ultrabook on windows 8 and could not get used to the charm screen which you can disable, but drives people without a touchscreen laptop crazy as you have to keep sweeping across to find what you need.
    In the long run a mac is less hassle, as with my windows you had to set up an outlook account to access the computer (which I never used) and there are a host of apps that I would never use that come as standard. It took me so long to get rid of them all as they took up memory.

The Mac is a little more expensive, but I bought it during the tax free weekend and when they were matching the price of other stores as well. It was worth it for my sanity!

4. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I have a PC, I'm really not a Mac person. I'm just not comfortable with Macs and don't know if that's because I haven't spent enough time using them or if their features just don't benefit me. I prefer PCs so much I never even really research Macs when I am going computer shopping.

5. vxacid

vxacidNew Member

Threads:
    I prefer my Macbook Pro over any other laptop, but I believe that Windows is more suited for desktop solutions. I use my laptop as my main computer and I love everything about it. A great high-resolution retina screen, backlit keyboard, and an operating system that allows the freedom of being unix-based while at the same time has the software support of Windows. I feel that now-a-days desktops are only for incredibly intensive tasks e.g. gaming and rendering videos. In that situation, I do feel that the Windows ecosystem is more suited to such tasks.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Since Macs don't really support a lot of games, then I would definitely prefer a pc over it. The price of the pc is cheaper too and can do the same things that a Mac can and more, so unless you are an Apple fan and can afford it, then you're better off buying a Windows-based pc instead. I own a pc by the way, I have never owned a Mac.

#6Aug 24, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  7. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I've always used a PC since there are no worries about game compatibility and there are just a lot more programs that I'm familiar with on it. I do think Mac OSs have much better art, desktop backgrounds, and look better in general. We always used Macs in school, so I saved all the desktop backgrounds to my external hard drive once and used them on my desktop at home. If more games were available on Mac or even Linux I would consider switching, since the recent Windows OSes annoy me sometimes.

8. tzbt827

tzbt827Member

Threads:
    It all depends upon preference, but from my experience I prefer Windows over Mac any day. Mac has limited software available compared to Windows and as a result, is not too efficient for everyday use. Windows has many different features and settings which can help you customize your computer and make it run smoother and faster. That is why I prefer Windows.

9. Zikkled

ZikkledNew Member

Threads:
    I own a PC. Not just because I'm used to it; I owned a Mac for two years, but in the end I traded with my sister for her Windows laptop. I'm a bit of a gamer, and found a Mac too limiting. Didn't want to bother with Bootstrap or whatever it is Mac users use to run Windows... why not just use Windows in the first place? Laptops with it are a hell of a lot cheaper than a Mac. That's another big plus about them.

From what I've seen, too, Macs seem to be kind of disposable?? My sisters each have had two Mac laptops over the course of four years, and my brother-in-law has had about 4 (can't deny he's very careless). This whole time, I've had one PC, and occasionally used their left-over laptops, which still worked for what I wanted (one was "discarded" just because the CD input didn't work).

Back in... 2008? my sister got her first Mac, a Macbook, and it was $1,100, $1000 with the student discount. I'm not really in on the Apple scene, but I heard production of Macbooks has stopped, and I don't want to imagine what their cheapest laptops cost.

While I don't remember how much my first laptop cost, the one I'm using at the moment, which I've had for just a few months, I bought for about $300. It was black Friday, yeah, but we recently bought a decent laptop for my aunt at $600. I just don't think a Mac is worth it!

10. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I don't own a Mac and probably never will. I'm so used to using a PC that i can't imagine letting it go. I think it's a fact that PC is more user friendly than Mac. Also i think it's easier to look for things to download online for free on a PC because most of things are designed for PC platforms hence it's much cheaper to own a PC than Mac. Although, i gotta say Mac's design and interface is really elegant and such a sight for sore eyes, so there's that for Mac but still, i will choose PC any day. It's the best in my opinion. :)

11. wowtgp

wowtgpActive Member

Threads:
    I have always preferred to work on PC than on Mac or Linux fr that matter. It's just a matter of preference I guess. I don't loathe Mac, but it's just that I am comfortable working on PC as I have been doing that for last couple of years. My brother has a Mac and he prefers working on that.

12. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Again with this. I own both, a Mac Pro and a suped up gaming PC and I don't find them different nor better than each other. As far as the OS goes it's basically the same deal only with the OSX it's more smoother. I think the price is what sets these two apart, if you we're to make me choose between the two I'd go for a PC because of the price.

13. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I have a Mac, and it annoys me when you get people talking about how Macs aren't worth the money, or can do the same thing as a high spec Windows computer. All I know that is from my personal experience, Windows machines start to slow down quickly, the battery life is non-existent after two years, and things start to go wrong to the extent that it's either in for repair every few months or you have to get a new one.

I have had my Mac for three years, it is as fast as the day I got it, and I can still run off battery for five hours per charge. The cost that I spent is actually less than I would have spent on replacing laptops in the same amount of time, so it's not something that I am overly concerned about.

One thing I would say is that most Mac users have also owned Windows computers, so can make a comparative judgement. The majority of people who slate Mac systems have only ever owned Windows, and are just jumping on the "Macs are SO overpriced" bandwagon without really knowing what they're talking about.

EDIT: I would also like to point out that the debate is NOT "PC V Mac" because a Mac IS a PC. I think you mean Mac V Windows or other OS.