Mac or Windows

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by difrancprod • Mar 30, 2012.

1. psufootball

psufootballMember

Threads:
    Macs are no more secure than Windows. It's just that less viruses are made on Mac, which means less chance of downloading one.

Really the best security you can get is on Linux. Free anti-virus programs, plus the actual OS has nice security, there's actually a decent wall of protection involving the kernel and system files.

2. Some1else0

Some1else0Member

Threads:
    Windows, but only because most programs are developed for Windows. If more programs were developed for Linux, I would definitely use it. I hope that one day more programs that I use are made for Linux...
    I don't really like MACs and Apple's OS's... They're just so, weird.

3. Sam_Green

Sam_GreenNew Member

Threads:
    I have a Dell computer running Windows at the moment and it seems to be pretty good. I prefer Windows mainly because of the percentage of people running it: it is at work, at home, in libraries, etc. Macs are good but are very, very expensive. One day I might save up and buy myself one. Until then, I will be content on my Windows. Everyone says that you will get viruses on PC. Just don't open suspicious emails and don't go to shady websites and you are set to not get a virus!

4. Renzaku

RenzakuNew Member

Threads:
    I really, well... prefer using neither. I prefer using Linux distributions (Ubuntu and Mint) myself as a computer programmer.
    Windows and Mac in general have way too many vulnerabilities in my opinion compared to Linux distros.

5. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadowNew Member

Threads:
    Always used Windows and I will always do, it is by far the best of the popular PC Operating Systems: a lot of softwares and games compatible (I mean all the PC games are compatible with Windows), a lot of versions to choose from (for example I use Windows XP on my PC since is an old PC and Windows 7 Ultimate on my laptop) and I think it doesn't "eat" as much memory as MAC. I do use Linux sometimes for various things I can't really do on Windows (or I can, but it doesn't work as well), but most of the time, like right now, I am using Windows.

6. AliDee

AliDeeMember

Threads:
    I have both. Only recently purchased a Mac for Graphic Design work and to carry around with me but I do enjoy both PC and Mac. I can't really choose one over the other although I like Macs simplicity. PC just allows me to play all the games I want because Mac doesn't support many games which sucks!

7. katniss

katnissActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer Windows. Not to many people I know uses mac. Getting the mac takes time to understand it. Only school use them. There are more software for windows like kellenw sayed. Lots of electrical device will not work on mac. You will not be able to transfer your information on your old window hard drive to mac hard drive unless you use a external fat32 hard drive. And fat32 does not transfer large files.

Then again, it always comes down to opinion, Macs are good at some things while PC's are good at others. If style and simplicity is important to you then Mac is your best bet. But if you like freedom to upgrade and customise then the PC is your best bet.

8. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    I am currently using a Mac. I have used a Windows computer for my entire life until I purchased a Mac 2 years ago. I absolutely love it and it was probably one of the best purchases I have made. The body of a Mac is so strong. My electronics tend to take a lot of abuse, and this one has stayed strong for me. I wouldn't switch back to Windows.

9. psufootball

psufootballMember

Threads:
    This is the thing for me though... you always see people saying how they love their Macs and it's such a great decision. But they never explain WHY. Like what is so amazing that makes it worthwhile to pay twice as much money for the same hardware and a different OS? The best response I ever see is "it just works"... but I don't agree. I treat my PC well and am not stupid about malware and it runs fine for a good 5 years, and then I upgrade. I don't see what the issue is. Macs may last longer just do the sheer lessened percentage of malware clogging everything up, but who wants the same computer for 10 years? I mean, if I bought a computer 10 years ago, today I would have a slow, heavy, POS.

10. hanzuke50

hanzuke50Member

Threads:
    Depends on what you need, really. Mac is generally more upfront about what their system can and can't do. Basically, chances are, if you want something done on a computer and you own a Mac, you will find what you need on a Mac, preinstalled, easy-to-use, no questions asked. If you're more accustomed to the Windows OS, trust me, you probably won't find the iOS very user-friendly, especially if you aren't accustomed to tinkering around with your desktop. Windows will have more versatility when it comes to apps, though it will have shortcomings as there is a lack of "oneness" among developers. One program will have X feature that you find useful and the other will have Y feature that you also find helpful. Mac generally won't have these problems.

TL;DR Pick one and enjoy. It won't matter which one is better as neither one probably is.

11. johnfurst

johnfurstNew Member

Threads:
    I converted over to using Mac a couple of years ago and I've never looked back. I finally got sick of waiting 5 minutes for my Windows machine to load up, then another 5 minutes before I could do anything useful. In my experience, Windows machines start of really fast...and then within a couple of months they slow down dramatically. I've never had such problems with a Mac - 6 years later my old Powerbook is still as fast as ever!

12. hanzuke50

hanzuke50Member

Threads:
    That sounds pretty nice. I am looking for a replacement for my work laptop and was thinking about getting a Macbook. If it's not too much to ask, what type of work are you in? I need something that does something nice with spreadsheets and presentations. I hear Macs are pretty good at those. Also, are there any alternatives to M.Word on the iOS?

13. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I use Windows for all of my computing needs, but Mac's are nice computers as well. I'm more comfortable using Windows, and I don't want to learn how to use another OS. I just don't see why everyone likes Mac's so much, I've used them in the past and I wasn't impressed. My PC performs well even though it gets viruses sometimes, I still prefer it over a Mac.

14. Snrm

SnrmActive Member

Threads:
    I absolutely can not stand Macs. It doesn't even have to do with how expensive they are but I just dislike the Operating System as a whole. I find it annoying to use and I always feel like it limits the amount I can do on a computer. Even though I have to admit it has the best virus protection out there I think I know enough about computers to do my own fixes or virus removals.

15. stefano13

stefano13Member

Threads:
    The Mac operating system is based on Unix and is quite different windows.
    - The former is better graphically as the processor is structured, it works better and faster with graphics and video editing
    - The negative points of the Mac: decreased availability of programs and a high cost, although prices have now reduced.
    I currently use windows because I use my computer only for standard operations.

16. MasterProX

MasterProXMember

Threads:
    I've always used Windows. The first time I tried a Mac, I didn't like it. Although all the Apple and Mac products nowadays look really cool, I still prefer Windows.

17. greenplankton

greenplanktonMember

Threads:
    The thing about Mac is that there are lesser viruses attacking the system as compared to Windows which have been in the market longer than Apple. Compared to Microsoft's software, the Mac OS has been consistently more reliable. Take a look at Windows Vista, with all the hype it generated at its launch, it failed to live up to expectations and ultimately succumbed to problematic bugs and required Microsoft to release patches to fix the problems. But that's not to say Microsoft has not learnt their lesson, the launch of Windows 7 was an impressive but it has some way to go before it is able to compete with the Mac in terms of external and internal design (hardware and software).

18. kingusama92

kingusama92Active Member

Threads:
    Windows.

I think Mac is a great OS. I don't have anything against it. I might even purchase one, soon.

Although, I think it's necessary to have at least one laptop/desktop that has windows on it. This is because there are certain programs that simply do not correspond well with the Mac OS. This issue is improving as time passes and companies start adjusting, but until then I am happy with a Windows OS.

I think Windows 7 is well done and I have no issue with it, to be honest.

19. Markeeze2

Markeeze2New Member

Threads:
    I use windows just because it was what I grew up with and it is more open to programs and customization than apple. Developers make more programs for PC than mac. I have used a mac and boy is it smooth! I can see why people like it so much. I'm sticking with windows though

20. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't used a Mac yet, only Windows, because most programs and games were written for Windows. And not only that, Macs are more expensive too as compared to Windows.