MacDonald's foreign workers not do a good job

Discussion in Product Reviews started by daleo717 • Jun 11, 2014.

1. daleo717

daleo717Member

Threads:
    MacDonald's has so many foreign workers that cannot understand English and do not do a good job--always mistakes on the order

Here in Vancouver, Canada, most of the MacDonald's over the past 2 years seem to have only foreigners with bad English working there. They also have a bad attitude and make us feel bad when ordering. You get the feeling that they do not want to take our orders, and when they do, they make so many mistakes. Has anyone else noticed this. It is really too bad that this is happening, because it makes people not want to go there. Also I think the students and seniors who are Canadian citizens should be able to get part time jobs there. I know so many people who never even get an interview at MacDonald's and it seems because they are English speaking Canadian citizens. I have nothing against people of a different language working at jobs, but I think when working with the public you should have good English and good customer service skills. I am wondering where they find these people and do they lie on their applications? Just saying.

2. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    Um...I think that might just be your McDonald's? All of the employees at the McDonald's by me are polite, and are never really rude? I mean, if you go during rush around, they'll seem harried and might seem short with you, but they're just trying to get people through the line as fast as the can, so I can't really begrudge them.

Also, uh, what do you mean by "students"? I hope you mean college students, because as far I know, McDonald's has a strict eighteen years old as the minimum age that you can work there. A LOT of places won't even bother taking an application unless you are eighteen at the very least. We just started the "You must be eighteen years or older to apply" rule in the store where I work. High schoolers can't really get jobs nowadays. Also, seniors can't really work retail/food service... Have you ever looked at the minimal requirements that a retail worker has to meet? I know very, very few seniors who could meet them. (When I say "Senior" I mean someone who's at least 70.)

Besides, maybe some of the "foreign" workers don't really mean to be rude, but they're just nervous? And you just said they don't understand English super well, so that probably explains the mistakes on your orders? If they can't understand what's being said to them, how are they supposed to get your order right?

Okay, here's a scenario. You work some where in Italy that takes orders, and someone comes in and orders something. But they tell you their order entirely in Italian. Now, you know a decent amount of Italian, since you're now living in Italy, but you're still learning, and your understanding of the language is pretty limited. So you get the gist of the persons order, but not all of it. You don't want to admit that you don't speak Italian that well yet, for fear of getting yelled at or mocked, so you just try to make the order as best as you can. Also, since you're nervous about messing up and can't really understand people when they start talking in Italian a million miles an hour, you come off as rude. You're not trying to be rude, but it comes off that way. You end up messing up the order, but not aware that you messed it up, because you never understood what the person had ordered completely in the first place.

I'm not saying ALL foreign workers are like that or have that problem; they're are plenty of Russian workers who are hella rude to customers on the boardwalk, but they don't last long in their jobs. /shrugs/ It's all a matter of circumstances.

3. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    To be fair there are just as many UK employees here that are rude and unplesent as the foreign workers here. Why would you want to eat at a MacDonalds anyway? Their food is god awful! Check out an independent fast food outlet, they will not only serve your better food, but they will offer better customer service as they are more desperate of the custom.

4. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    This title sounded racist and I was drawn into viewing the post. Is that bad.. haha

To be fair, those foreigners you speak of tend to live in apartments with enough people that some end up sleeping on the floor. Mcdonalds, Tim Hortons, etc. These are the kinds of businesses some families work at. They then send money back home to relatives over seas. The only foreigners I have a problem with are Asians. Why? Because most of them seem to hate me. I don't know what it is. I wish I spoke their languages. Like the Chinese people at the store by me. their whole family hates me. I don't get it.

5. Ridge

RidgeMember

Threads:
    *Raises hand*
    I was a manager at a Mcdonalds when we started bringing in the foreign workers by the boat load.
    Any negatives caused by either their lack of english skills or anything else were far outweighed by the positives of their great work ethic compared to the local born people who would work at Mcdonalds..

6. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    That is true. I bet if you compared foreign workers with local workers, you would see that foreign workers are late/absent a lot less. I bet the number would shock people. These guys show up and work. Can't say anything bad about them. It's like if I went to China to work. People would be pissed that I can't speak their language, but if i worked hard, they would keep me as a minimum waged slave.

7. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I've never seen any foreign workers working at McDonald's here in my country. Usually McDonald's worker in my town are very polite and always treat customer in a way that they supposed to but in another part of the country, I did have a very bad experience with the staff.