Macs are way too expensive

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by xcmiller93x • May 12, 2012.

1. xcmiller93x

xcmiller93xActive Member

Threads:
    Does anyone else think with Macs, you are paying for the brand name? They're way over priced.

2. zeus02

zeus02Member

Threads:
    I think they are over rated too.
    My wife has a mac, I run on xp, aside from the elegant look,there is nothing that the mac can do that my xp can't. Performance wise I would still choose to buy an xp.

3. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    Yes! I agree wholeheartedly! With the money that you spend on a Macbook Pro, you could build with relative ease a desktop with far more power than that to fit and suit your own preferences. If you ask me, Macs work, but they really should be half the price Apple's asking.

4. greenplankton

greenplanktonMember

Threads:
    I wasn't too sure whether you were referring to MacDonald's or Apple products, which in this case, is the second choice. Macs aren't that great to begin with although they do attract users who want a sleek interface and there are less viruses that attack the Mac Operating system. I wouldn't buy a Mac because at that same price, I can get another product, say HP or Microsoft, and maybe get a better deal.

5. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I disagree. Its not just a name. They are a better quality. I would have agreed with you 10 years ago. But my windows was always crashing, getting viruses, slowing down, and just problematic. I was getting a new computer every 1-2 years. It didn't matter what company I bought, Dell, Gateway, HP, Lenovo, Aver, I have tried them all. None of these companies stood behind their product. I but a mac book air, 4 years ago, and have never had a problem. My daughter had a problem with her hard drive after 3 years, and they just fixed it for free no questions asked. Windows may be cheaper, but you have to keep paying to get them fixed or replaced. I would rather just pay a little more and have something that lasts.

6. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    What about Apple's recent fiasco? They've been lying about Macs being 'immune' to viruses for quite a long time.

I don't know if they're really overrated since I've actually never used one, but I'm happy with my Windows laptop and I think it was definitely worth the price I paid.

7. zeus02

zeus02Member

Threads:
    Do you exactly know why they are claiming that they are virus free?not because they have top notch security lines but simply because their products are running on a closed environment meaning only apple can make programs for them and a selected handfull of programs,unlike windows which is semi closed environment.

Better build? well that i am not sure, If somebody gave a macbook air, I would gladly drop my lenovo along side the air at 6 feet to see which of the 2 is a better build.

Crashing and viruses and due to programs you install,it is not the hardware but the software you install that causes such error very seldom that it is due to hardware. and Yes you would have less tendencies with crashing on an apple due to its limited program base.

8. j_pin

j_pinActive Member

Threads:
    They really aren't too expensive because they last way way longer than a PC. I have only had two macs in the same amount of time that I have had 5 PC's. PC's are just made cheap. I end up saving money in the long run on a Mac, plus I don't have to deal with horrid Windows.

9. zeus02

zeus02Member

Threads:
    well that is simnply because the PC are more updated than mac in terms of performance and updates..

then again if you are just browsing and stuff,no need for a good pc.

10. Snrm

SnrmActive Member

Threads:
    I'm proficient enough with computers to be able to rid myself of viruses manually. I don't get a lot since I don't go to "sketchy" websites but a few pop-in every now and then. I refuse to buy a Mac because they are expensive and I hate the operating system compared to Windows. The only thing that I like Apple for is their IOS line' Iphone, Itouch, Ipad. I would take a nice quality Windows computer over a double-priced Mac.

11. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    The thing about Macs is that they are the "cool" option. Remember the commericals Mac versus PC? That's basically it, because having used both products I have to say I prefer a PC. I find I like the interface better and the fact that there is such a large library of products to choose from. I guess when it comes down to it the difference is that of a PS3 and an Xbox360. The 360 might RROD, but you'll generally get your money's worth out of it whereas the PS3 will last forever as a kind of very impressive paperweight.

12. ljepilo

ljepiloActive Member

Threads:
    I would never buy a mac,they are way too expensive for my budget ,and I could never afford to buy one for myself.I wish that in the future they low down the prices :(

13. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that mac is way too expensive compared to ordinary PC. I don't know what are the advantages of using mac because I don;t have it anyway but I guess with my PC, I can do same things that people can do with mac. Also I found windows PC easy to manipulate than a mac.

14. Shaggz235

Shaggz235Member

Threads:
    And how much were these systems you purchased that lasted 1-2 years? 300-500 dollars?

If were you were buy a product of similar value it would have better specs than the mac. You could spend 300-500 dollars less and get a comparable product to the mac you are buying. They are way over priced for what you are getting.

15. katniss

katnissActive Member

Threads:
    This is why IBM overtook them in the market place. They try to aim at an 'upwardly mobile' type of people, who think they're to special and unique to use a PC.

16. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    There are very few things that a Mac can do that a PC can't. I really do think they are too expensive and don't get me started on the cost of upkeep. Their chargers are so poorly made so expect to buy a new one and a new battery within the first year! If you want to buy new parts from Apple then that is another pretty penny. At least you can get inexpensive parts for PCs on Amazon and ebay. I do own a Mac and regret it.

17. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    I think they are insanely over-priced. I can buy 3 PCs for hte price of a Mac, I can't understand the draw.

18. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    Technically Apple was never lying about Macs never getting viruses. Whenever I walked into an Apple store, the little iPad that flaunts the specs always says "It doesn't get PC viruses." Malware exists for all operating systems. It's just that Mac users ignored this small detail and blew it up to "HAHA UR WINDOWS GOT A VIRUS LOLOLOLOL." Trust me, I've had several friends who are Mac users rub this in my face against my Windows computer.

19. hanzuke50

hanzuke50Member

Threads:
    The people who are complaing about Windows being full of viruses, slow, etc. probably don't realizes that most viruses are only in your system because you let them in there. As for performance issues, you should learn more about your system and see what it's capable of, not just run 100 programs at once and complain that it can't take the heat. With Macs though, what people don't realize is that they are paying for all of the above problems eliminated by way of the monopolized programs on their OS. They have built their Macs to bring all the power that most of their lightweight apps demand and I believe it has a built-in resource managing program (correct me on this, I only heard this from a friend) that does all the thinking and human effort required by efficient use of the Windows OS. With Mac, you are paying for quality delivered on-demand, with Windows, you are paying for loads of potential, limited only by it's user.

20. chigger

chiggerNew Member

Threads:
    Macs are the most widely used computer for graphic designers and game developers. They run more smoothly and have less "glitches" in their programs. They are less likely to freeze than a PC system (unless you're honestly doing something stupid). These systems are not as open to viruses and are harder to get into. The overall make-up of a Macintosh is better. All the little things that annoy you in your PC system? Mac does those better without the annoyance. I would disagree that Mac is quality delivered on-demand. Windows, to me, is very limited. There's only so far you can customize and only so much you can do. Macs are more balanced in general. In most cases the technology behind a Mac is new and and much better than what current PCs are putting out.

Macs can also run windows OS simultaneously, meaning you boot both systems and choose which to use and they will still both run smoothly.

IF you want a PC with the same specs and standards as a Mac system (wanting it to perform as quickly and reliable) then you can find them - for the exact same price as Mac computers. Some PC computers can be very costly and any under $500 often don't do everything you want them to do because they're meant for school and home, not hardcore gaming or designing.

Mac has been touted as easier to learn, requires less keystrokes for commands, etc.

In the end a Macintosh computer is a much better brand, but you'll still find me using Windows. It's not that I think Mac is too expensive - just that I can't afford a better system right now. I would much rather use a Mac than a PC.

You can find great comparison sites that better explain everything that's being discussed here. This is one of them:

And this one compares them in a way everyone can understand:

If you don't prefer a Mac, then you haven't used one for an extended period of time and realized what they really are capable of. I'd like to see a PC system run a Mac OS simultaneously without wanting to catch on fire.