Macs are way too expensive

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by xcmiller93x • May 12, 2012.

1. zeus02

zeus02Member

Threads:
    apple products are for me generally over hyped over priced and over rated, I do not see any kind of option that the mac that my pc cannot. on the other hand the basic left click takes a while to be found on the mac,

2. GGGuardian

GGGuardianMember

Threads:
    I must completely agree with xcmiller93x. I think Apple is over pricing their mac products a little too much. The prices of a mac compared to a average Windows Pc are night and day. Even tho the quality is pretty good from Apple and you are paying for a pretty good machine that still shouldn't let Apple try and drain every cent they can out of their customers.

3. thewebmiss

thewebmissNew Member

Threads:
    Yes Macs are definitely priced too higher compared to the competing brands. But I do not question Apple's pricing strategy because they have successfully built a good brand equity. And the style of the Macs says it all, as well as the quality. They charge high because they know that people are still willing to purchase their products at such high prices, and even at higher prices maybe. And lastly, they target the middle to upper class, so it seems to be a good deal still.

4. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    It used to be worth the extra cost to get a Mac because supposedly you could not get a virus on a Mac. Well, that has all changed recently and the Mac is way behind Windows on anti-virus capabilites. I'll stick with my Windows 7 machine for quite sometime now.

5. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    Yep, I agree. I look at some of these laptops and the prices are astounding. I don't think I'll ever purchase a Mac, and I'll just stick with Dell. As I say over and over again, this computer is nearly half a decade old and it does great things for me and I rarely have problems!

6. Sampson

SampsonNew Member

Threads:
    I got a Mac primarily for music production, the programme I wanted was Logic, and it's only available on the Mac OS. I bought my Mac 3 years ago and I still use it everyday. I use both Mac OS and Windows and I actually find that Windows runs better on my Mac than my PC. I agree they are slightly over-priced, but you if you're doing graphic, music or other design work, you're going to get a Mac; it has better programmes and is so much easier to use than windows. I think the main difference is that Apple build their systems with an end product in mind, all the parts ar built for each-other and work together flawlessly (I may have shot myself in the foot saying this, but it's just my experience). Most PC's are built from parts from different suppliers and, while they will work together, don't seem to do it as well as Apple products.
    If you're a gamer, it's probably more beneficial and cheaper for you to build a custom made PC and just upgrade the parts as and when you need it. If you're proficient in computers, just the average PC with regular maintenance would be fine too; most people don't really know how to look after their PC though which is why they get problems.

I think my point to this was Macs are overpriced to the average consumer; but for someone who has a specific purpose, or if they want something that lasts with little maintenance, Macs are an excellent option. But not for everyone.

7. bryce12

bryce12Active Member

Threads:
    It is not just limited to Macs; all Apple products are expensive. When you buy an Apple product, you already know that you are paying for the Apple brand. I think that's the reason why some people refer to Apple as the Apple cult. I don't mind paying high for functionality but in Apple's case, you are paying high for eye candy.

8. Svoboda

SvobodaNew Member

Threads:
    You're paying for their marketing campaigns. Apple has turned their brand into an elitist brand by pricing things well over bill of materials cost.

9. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I had to work in a lab full of Macs back in the late 90's early 2000's when I was in college and had several graphics classes and video editing classes. I absolutely hated the Macs, especially the mouse with only one button. But I do recall them freezing up and having to be reformatted quite often. For what you pay for a Mac these days you could take that same amount and spend it on a high end windows system as well. I would take an Thinkpad laptop over a Mac laptop any day. Thinkpads are built like tanks. Their store practices are quite cultish as well, you should read about how they treat their employees - it's quite bizzare

10. Meow

MeowMember

Threads:
    This sounds like more of an issue with you as a user, than the computer. Windows as an OS does not naturally do any of these things. Windows as an OS DOES however require considerably more maintenance on the users end than a Mac. This isn't because the product is inferior, it's because Windows allows the user much more freedom, many things a Mac will do automatically a Windows using PC requires the user to do (such as cleaning out the registries, etc.).

Also you aren't paying "a little more". Equivalent Macs are roughly 500-800 dollars more than their Windows counterparts.

11. donaldplozha

donaldplozhaMember

Threads:
    Yes, Macs are way too expensive and I think this will be exactly the reason they will be going down very soon now that Steve Jobs has passed away as well.

I heard they were not accepting anymore repairing of their products from this year on, and that is just selfish and will hurt them very soon, in my opinion.

12. sinuous

sinuousNew Member

Threads:
    I find that Macs (although overpriced, yes) are worth the money. I am a PC guy, and I respect Macs. Weird, right? In fact, I've used Macs for app building and some design, as they are much more responsive for tasks like that. If you're a PC person, you know that a PC can be used for anything (gaming, watching tv, design, web surfing). Macs are made for more specific tasks. If someone gave me a free Mac, I would use the heck out of it!

13. EvoDoom

EvoDoomMember

Threads:
    You certainly are. You can get the same computing power in a custom built desktop for a far lower price. I have always wanted a decent Mac, but could never afford it. :(

14. Kaila

KailaNew Member

Threads:
    I had this dilemma when I had to buy a new computer when my Mac that I bought in 2007 needed replacing. I was sure that I'd buy a new Mac, but then my friend, who knows a lot about computers, asked me why I'd want to pay an extra $300 to $400 when I could get the same specs in a non-Mac. I listened to him and bought a Sony VAIO. It's great, but it's no Mac. I really do miss having a Mac. They're much more user-friendly, faster, and just better in general. Part of me kind of wishes I'd forked out the extra cash and bought a Mac.

15. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    One of the reasons I dislike Macs is that I have used them and I hated it. The stupid thing was one of the worst products I've ever used. Also the stores aer kind of creepy and the overall fanboyish attitude you encounter is annoying. I mean ... I guess it goes back to the attitude you got from the commericals. You remember them, right? The hipster and the funny man in a suit? I actually came to dislike the hipster because while he wasn't necessarily annoying I just got tired of the poor mac being put down. Also I was getting really insulted because I used a PC and I did alot more on it then business. I can make movies (which I did recently for a project), I can select frames out of videos to make into pictures, I can create audio files or edit them. I can make games as well as play them. Anything I can do on a Mac I can do on my windows computer and generally I can do it with a shareware or freeware program.

16. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    lol I agree. I love my Mac! I only want to buy Macs from now on after I've had this one for 3 1/2 years. My PCs got viruses, started running slow, gave me blue screens, etc. I didn't mind at the time. I thought all computers did that. My Mac has never done any of that to me. I got a basic video editing and music editing program already on my computer as well as a few other things. I like iphoto too. For 3 years I didn't have any anti virus software on it whatsoever. I never got a single virus! It's still running strong too. I just did an upgrade for only $20 so I haven't bought products like ram or extra hard drives, etc. like I did on my PC. I find I have cut my stress and time wasted trying to figure out what's wrong with my computer out completely. I'm not a programmer like my dad is so I have a harder time messing with PCs. My dad just got his first Mac too even though his job and work computer is on a PC.

17. CuriousJ

CuriousJNew Member

Threads:
    Ever since Apple switched to Intel CPUs from PowerPC CPUs, the only real difference between a Mac and a PC is the operating system. So you could just build a PC with the same specifications as a Mac of your choosing, for far cheaper and install Macintosh on it.

If you buy Macs for their looks, you can simply build a PC around a Mac case too. It takes a bit of work, but it's certainly possible.

18. Erwins74

Erwins74New Member

Threads:
    I agree that Mac are way overpriced! I do own a macbook pro and I use on a daily basis. The reason I bought this macbook was that software and hardware are more in tune with each other. Resulting in better performance. On a windows laptop this can be achieved by extensive tweaking (which most users don't do), or buying a high-end machine that will cost (almost) as much as a mac.

For me it took 6 months doing research online, looking at the pros and cons of a mac, before I bought one. Simply because it is so much money. But in the end I don't regret the decision.
    Will I buy a new mac in the future? I don't know, I don't like the way Apple is going with all the changes to OSX, and all the patent-trolling right now. So I don't think I would buy another mac in the future. Hopefully this one has a few more years in it.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes they are very overpriced, and the only perk that you get for paying much more is that you are less, if not completely susceptible to getting viruses on your pc. Also, if you are an avid gamer, then you won't even think of buying a MAC, since most games don't support it, so you're better off using Windows instead.

20. bryce12

bryce12Active Member

Threads:
    Apple products are generally expensive but then their build quality and specs are far superior. Apple knows how to turn an electronic product into an object of desire; think of iPod, iPhone, iPad or Mac, every single product was revolutionary and forced its competitors to drastically change their business strategy. People are happy to pay More for Apple products as they are considered as innovators in this cut-throat world of consumer electronics.