Macy's Doing Away with Plus-Size Clothing?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by SEA81 • May 15, 2012.

1. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    Last night, one of my favorite authors took to Facebook to rant and rave about the fact that many Macy's stores are taking their plus-size clothing sections out of their stores. Apparently, you can still shop online, but as she pointed out, this is going to cost them more than just clothing sales. The women who shop in these sections are moms, grandmothers, wives, etc. and buy make-up, shoes, towels, sheets and other items while they're in Macy's doing their clothes shopping.

What do you think about this?

2. AlwaysAMama

AlwaysAMamaActive Member

Threads:
    I agree. Old Navy (at least the one here) got rid of their in store plus size clothes and now I rarely go there anymore. I have 5 kids I used to buy clothes for there.

3. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    What I want to know is who thought that was a good idea? I mean what could possibly be the impetus for getting rid of something like that? Do they think it makes them more appealing to the teenyboppers or something? Who do they think most of their customers are? Maybe Macys is trying to reinvent themselves, I wish them the best of luck in the meantime as they are likely to dip far below the black cause of this.

4. BonnyC

BonnyCActive Member

Threads:
    Why in the world would they do that? They're just getting rid of a chunk of their customers. That's a really dumb idea. Are they maybe just moving the plus sized stuff in with the rest of it and doing away with the section itself? That's the only thing that might make sense to me.

5. nherie

nherieMember

Threads:
    I think this is stupid. Americans are getting heavier and heavier and they do away with the plus sized section? They are going to lose a good chunk of their customer base. Guess I'll stick to JC Penny's and Sears.

6. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I guess all us "chunky apples" should just hide in our homes and buy our clothes now. Thats how they are making me feel. Like we are lepers and shouldn't be allowed to shop with the "pretty" people. I think this is rude.

7. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    I got so mad when Old Navy did that, because I love their clothing. I could still wear some of their bigger sizes in the "regular" section, and I ALWAYS bought all of my friends' and family's baby gifts there. I loved Old Navy, but I hate having to order clothes that fit me online and half the time, they aren't sized right, so you have to return and try again. I agree, they said like 1/4 or 1/3 of the country is obese, you'd think retailers would be thrilled to put larger-size fashion out there to make more money.

8. chigger

chiggerNew Member

Threads:
    Why remove these sizes at all? I think this is a bad move for the marketing managers in charge of these situations. Plus sized people - women and men alike - need clothes just as much as a slimmer person. Buying online is hard on us - it takes more out of the wallet and you can't try things on to be sure they'll fit. To be honest this seems like a very uneducated move, as statistics show that obesity is a rising factor which indicates the need for more plus sized clothes. Not less of them!

9. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    It makes no sense. Why would they do that? Was it not profitable, but how could that be? Perhaps image related? Did they make a public announcement...or just do it? I find it rather discriminatory, to be honest, there must be many people who are losing a good service.

I may be wrong but yeah, not cool, in my opinion.

10. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Macy Woman? I recently received a catalog for Macy Woman. I did a search online and couldn't find anything about it. I really hope it's not true. Perhaps they're pulling plus size clothes in stores that do sell well.

11. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    That's horrible I know Macy's is all about the image. I see it as them sending a subliminal message to the public to lose weight. I don't think they care if they lose business because you can still purchase them online. Macy's has always had a snobby attitude even when you walk around in the store. The plus size clothes cost more than regular clothes because they require more fabric. This is just another way to keep out a certain group of people. The average person in the U.S is overweight. There is a small market of people who can actually fit into Macy's clothes, but that's just my perspective.

12. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    On the one hand, it makes sense as a subliminal message to lose weight, but on the other hand, most companies are about the bottom line, and the bottom line is that fat people buy clothes, and by getting rid of that market, Macy's is going to take a financial hit.

13. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I'm confused as to why they're doing this, too. I can see what you mean, Classic, but that's just not going to happen either. People aren't going to suddenly lose a bunch of weight to fit into the smaller clothes. They're simply going to shop elsewhere. I'm not sure where their business sense was here.

14. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I seriously doubt the execs at Macy's are concerned with the people's health/appearance vs. their own wallets. Unless they did it association with some kind of big public relations campaign (and even then, I think it'd tick people off), I just think it was a poor business decision

15. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I think it's a little unfair and they shouldn't just take them out like that, I hope they know what they're going to be missing. There are still people who prefer buying them inside outlets and stores and not just from those online stores. I still go to the mall to purchase all my clothes.

16. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    It does kind of make you wonder what they really had in mind. It almost seems to easy to write it off as a bad business decision... because it's so bad that you'd think it would be obvious. It makes me wonder what they're really up to with this.

And no, I don't think Macy's is at all concerned with people's health. There must be some way for them to make money by excluding this market.

17. bsdgds

bsdgdsActive Member

Threads:
    Not that its important, but who is your favorite author?

18. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    Well, that's really going to lose them a lot of customers. I don't necessarily shop at Macy's but that's a stupid move. Even if they still offer plus sizes online that still isn't enough because I'm pretty sure that most people prefer to shop for their clothes in person.

19. mariaandrea

mariaandreaMember

Threads:
    From a business standpoint it seems like Macy has an identity problem. Are they higher end like Nordstrom or Banana Republic? Are they the old-fashioned department store appealing to the middle class? Do they try to attract budget shoppers? They keep trying things without a clear plan. This is a stupid move from any angle. There's an obesity epidemic in this country. More people than ever, from every socioeconomic level, are seeking out plus-size clothes. That represents a good market that isn't likely to dwindle any time in the near future.

20. cindy007

cindy007New Member

Threads:
    That is a terrible idea! I can't fathom why Macy's would think that it would be good for business to do that. Small sizes are not the only sizes out there and ALL sizes are beautiful. Once clothing stores and the fashion industry realize that, they will see how dumb they sound. I can only imagine that it will get rid of quite a few of their customers.