Mad Money

Discussion in Misc & Others started by MrsJones • Dec 2, 2014.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I was in a gift shop and found the cutest piggy bank that had "Mad Money" on it. I bought it because it was cute but I understood the nature of the saying and have heard many women talk about their "mad money." I seldom get mad about any thing or at any one but I put coins in it just the same. Some where along the line I emptied it out but not because I was mad I just simply needed the money.

Do you have 'mad money?'

2. missbee23

missbee23Member

Threads:
    I have "empty out my pockets in a coin jar" money. I have a cash envelope budget, so that means I pay for everything in cash. At the end of the day, I dump all my coins into a jar. This year, I had about $200. Easiest way to have extra money for Christmas.

3. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    We're fairly strict with ourselves budget wise but each of us gets a set amount per week as discretionary spending that we don't account for - whether that's $5 coffee or whatever. The amount isn't a huge amount and I'm in the habit of not spending off budget so I try to put at least a little of that cash in my savings wallet (in a difficult to access place) and forget about it. Then when I'm going crazy under the budget restrictions, which happens a few times a year, I have the cash to go on a mini-spending spree.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, the entirety of the money that I own has always been mad money. I don't have any fixed bills to pay since I still live with my parents, so the money that I have is all spent on personal expenses.

5. DTracy3

DTracy3Member

Threads:
    I have a pig too^^ It looks cute and allows me to put coins in it and get a reward for doing so a later time in life or I can use the money if I really need some^^ It's always good to save a little even if it isn't that much.

6. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to but now, not anymore. I simply place all my savings in the bank for security purposes. It's easier to steal stuff from a piggy bank, anyway. Although I trust my family implicitly, I fear that an outsider might break into it and steal the amount I've saved for his or her own convenience.

7. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have a "mad money" jar, but I do have a swear jar, because I made the decision that I need to stop saying those words, so I thought that I would put £1 in the jar every time I made a mistake with it. The good thing is that when the jar is full (which shouldn't be too long away because I am not very good at watching my language) the money will be going to a small local charity, so at least my failings will do some kind of good. I know of a lot of people who have this type of jar, and it seems to work well for them.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Mad money originally meant cab fare that a woman carried so that she could get home safely if her date ended with a fight. Now it's supposed to mean emergency money for a crisis. I'm not sure why people started thinking that it was a cute term for spending money.

I'm planning to set aside mad money this year in case something happens and I need it.