Magazine Subscriptions As Gifts?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by prose • Oct 28, 2015.

1. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I have found many ways online to earn free magazine subscriptions, such as on websites like recyclebank.com. (For those of you who do not know about Recyclebank, it is a website where you can earn points for learning about ways to recycle, to help protect natural resources, to live greener, etc. Then points can be used to earn rewards, such as magazine subscriptions) Also, I have seen advertised many deals online for deeply discounted magazine subscriptions.

Some of the loved ones on my Christmas shopping list are avid readers, who have expressed that they do not need more "stuff." I am considering gifting them a magazine subscription as a part of their Christmas gift. I know that I would not mind receiving a magazine subscription as a gift, if it were to a magazine that I would enjoy reading regularly.

Have you ever given magazine subscriptions as gifts? Have you ever received them as gifts? What is your take on subscriptions as gifts? Do you have any other ideas for Christmas gifts to loved ones who already have "too much stuff?"

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never given anybody a magazine subscription as a gift but I feel that it is a good idea for those loved ones who love to read. The problem with my family is that they don't like to read anything that is in the form of a magazine subscription. At least not that I know of anyway.

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:

Wow, I like that idea! I think it's absolutely brilliant, and as I'm sure you've guessed, I've never done it. I come from a family of readers, and I know my mum and dad would appreciate something like this. I'm also an avid reader, and read every single day, and if someone gave me a subscription to one of my favourite magazines, I'd be over the moon. By the same token, I'd love it if someone gave me some Amazon eBooks as a gift. I'd say if you know your loved ones like reading, and if you know their preferred publications, run with it :)

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For some people it's a great idea, the problem afterwards is the renewal and the constant mailers to persuade you to carry on. Most of my friends move around so a physical subscription isn't ideal, but an online one is much better. Now that we have choices, I do prefer online subscriptions for convenience, but I do like print copies. I used to hoard them, and when I moved I had to get rid of half of my magazines.

I think certain magazines like cooking or hobby based ones are much better, but subscriptions are not as popular as they used to be a decade ago.

5. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Unless someone expressly asks you for a magazine subscription as a gift, I wouldn't choose that ever as a gift! It's so impersonal and boring, not to mention nowadays not that many people read paper magazines anymore. I could be wrong and think that only because I myself would hate that as a gift and never actually read paper mags anymore. But it would be my opinion!

6. Lushlala

Threads:
    I guess that's why you'd have to be absolutely certain the person you were buying them for would really appreciate it. It won't be for everyone, for sure.

I too would prefer online versions. I had a huge stack of 2013 magazines such as Harper's Bazaar, Glamour, Elle and Elle Decoration because I used to get them free at work. I was gutted because I had to chuck over half of them when I moved countries because they were taking up too much space in my shipping :(

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I like to keep glossy magazines. In the end I kept Vogue, Harpers and some magazines first editions. I had to bin all the others because I just had to. Some editions of Vogue can be sold for a good price, so I have kept them in that hope that they will be worth something one day.

My aunt did buy me a subscription of Vanity Fair and while it was fine, it was not my magazine of choice.

8. Lushlala

Threads:
    OMG Theo, my heart's bleeding right now LOL Among my huge stash that I got rid of were quite a few Vanity fair and Vogue issues, some of which i hadn't actually had chance to go through. I'm absolutely gutted I couldn't take them. They actually went to waste as I had to bin them too. I really would ideally have preferred to at least donate them to a charity or doctor/dentist's.

9. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I think that it would certainly be a good gift, but you would have to ensure that the person in question would like the gift that you were giving to them. If the magazines are just going to pile up without even being read then there wouldn't be all that much point in having them, however if it is a topic that an individual has an interest in then yes, I think that it would be more than worth it.

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think giving a subscription as a gift is a good idea although most people are reading magazines online. There are people in assisted living homes that would love to have a magazine to thumb through as an activity. Having a magazine to cut up for crafts or pictures that can be put on the wall as decoration is also a good idea to have a magazine delivered to a place like a senior care home.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I have never given out a magazine subscription and I don't think I would now since most people around me have already stopped buying and reading printed magazines, but I agree that it's probably not such a bad gift to give or receive especially if the one receiving it is an avid reader and has already stated that they don't want large gift items. I would be a little hesitant with my friends and relatives but if they specifically have that personality then I would be a lot less hesitant.

12. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    My kids have been on the receiving end of magazine subscriptions. They got them as Christmas presents. They really enjoyed getting a new magazine every month. It's like the gift that keeps on giving. I would love to get a magazine subscription as a gift but I find that with everything available online people don't think about hard copies any more for books or magazines. I personally still enjoy turning pages when I read. I love the feel of the glossy pages of a magazine.

13. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd be delighted with a magazine subscription, providing it was a magazine I actually liked. @purplepen88@purplepen88 is right, they are a gift that keeps on giving. It's lovely to come home from work to find a new magazine to read.

14. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I got one for my son. He says he likes it as he reads it when he is on the train going to work. I also liked that when I subscribed he got a free hat, so it was kind of like a little extra within the gift. One caveat know your audience though.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't received or given any kind of magazine subscription, but I think if the person in question loves to read up on a certain topic then it would be the ideal gift to give them, even if there is a wealth of information already found online. I would not mind giving one away if I have a voucher and I have no use for it.

16. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Like most of you here, I have never given magazine subscriptions as gifts but it most certainly can be a good gift choice. There are some magazines which the recipients can learn much from, Health and fitness magazines for example.
    I'm thinking that making a donation in this person's name could be a great Christmas gift for them. Get the recipient a charity gift card. They'll use their gift to make a difference . . .