Maintaining The Weight

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by naruto100 • Feb 21, 2017.

1. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    People always said me that we shouldn't lose weight by dieting, as it will increase when we will start eating. But I have seen same thing with exercising too. I mean I have seen people gain weight again when they stop exercising.

I think important thing is maintaining it after weight lose. I think it is the hardest part.

I wonder how to do it. I have lose weight many times by dieting and exercising too. But somehow I failed to maintain after it. If anyone can share the experience and idea on the same.

2. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    It is as simple as that. You have to keep the practice on.
    Our system is like an elastic. Leave, and it will go back to its previous shape.
    However, maintaining the weight takes lesser toil than reducing it. Most of the people fail to retain the regime. Eventually, the effort of losing the weight goes in lurch.
    You've to choose foods which are fibrous. And, drinking a lot of water goes a long way to keep the weight at check.

3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One thing I've learned is not to drink diet soda. I went to iced tea without sugar. Other things I do is to do exercises that pull in the stomach and intestines. My doctor simply said it's less intake less weight. It sounds so deceptively simple, yet the first is difficult, but when you begin it you'll find it's easy to do. Instead of a full sandwich, eat half a sandwich and more vegetables cooked or raw. I can now get into my skinny jeans because I've made just a few adjustments to my eating. Soon it'll become second nature. I do indulge once in a great while and still get into my skinny jeans. I buy sugar free candies or buy less sugar and eat more nutritional better foods, like sour dough bread that I love anyway. Psychologically repeat to yourself "I want to be 110 pounds" or whatever your ideal weight you want to be and you'll start going towards it. I walk whenever I can achnd watch my time so I can keep tract how much I've walked that day for I like to get in a half hour a day of walking for my heart. I do spurts of running in place at home too for it's a good way to

You'll save money too buying less food and can keep your old clothes when you maintain your weight loss for loose fitting clothes is comfy. If you gain weight you have to buy clothes to fit.

4. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I have the same prob as the OP. I am good at loosing but holding it there is a real killer. I just can't curb the carving and that's what gets me reading higher on the scale.

Another important thing is the motivation to stay in desired weight zone. It really helps clearing out your pantry as tgis saves on unnecessary snacking and is pocket friendly too.

5. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Maintaining the weight is the hardest part for a person to do. It takes a determination and self-discipline. Exercising may not be possible to maintain one's weight. It could reduce it but it couldn't guarantee. Same with eating or dieting couldn't assure weight maintenance. To make it working, anything a person eats should be recorded and any time or amount of exercise a person undertake should also be recorded. And notable things done which contribute to weight maintenance should uphold and practice in toto without fail. So you may now see how difficult it is.

6. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    @naruto100@naruto100 You are very true. In today's hectic lifestyles it is sometimes quite impossible to stick to a particular diet or workout schedule. It happened to me a number of times. But nowadays I always make it a point to work out daily at any cost. I also cut down my calorie intake to a great extent. Even though it may not be possible on a daily basis I try to do it whenever possible and I think that is the key.

A balance approach to exercise and healthy diet should be there. We should not over emphasize on anything. Try to eat low carb, fiber rich foods and stick to a workout schedule. Where there is a will, there is a way.

#6Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2017
  7. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I couldn't agree more. Losing weight is hard and maintaining it is harder. It takes a lot of determination, motivation and self-discipline before you can accomplish it. I've been trying to shed a few pounds for almost a year now but time and time I'm losing track. I end up gaining more and going back from the beginning :( But I'm doing it again bit by bit, I exercise everyday at least an hour, lessen my food intake, less carbs and more fiber :)

8. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I maintain my weight by eating the same amount or at least try to everyday. I do eat junk food of course but then the rest of the day I eat healthier. I don't exercise much but I guess running around with a toddler is enough exercise in one day.

9. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @moondebi@moondebi Ha ha.. Plastic is the perfect example of body. lol..

Well, I know we can have proper diet to maintain our body. But sometimes I just can't stop myself eating those junk foods and all that I love. Well, it is hard to avoid them for all time. And once started it is hard to stop it. Lol.

@Nakitakona@Nakitakona Yes it is the hardest and one need really hard determination and self-discipline. Even in your words it sounds really hard to me now. lol. One need consistent time table for exercising and well planned diet to maintain. We may reduce the exercising after losing weight, but we surely can't stop the diet and exercising completely. Otherwise it will surely start gaining again.

@Decentlady@Decentlady Good to hear that I am not the only one in such kind of situation. Or may be this is quite common problem among many. Yes it is very hard to maintain after losing. I have face this almost three to four times. Now when I start it again, by thinking this it demotivates for sure.

#9Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2017
  10. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Good foods for weight maintenance are those rich in fibers and fruits. So many get over weight because they consume too less of fibrous foods, too much of fatty foods and worse many are not drinking enough water. Once in a while it's important to detoxify the body, clear the blood vessels and get rid of substances unhealthy to our system. These help in maintaining a normal weight.

11. Rosemary

RosemaryNew Member

Threads:
    I have maintained my weight for years now. I've never been overweight but did have to lose about 25-30 lbs after I quit smoking...that was 9 years ago.

I eat healthy and keep to about 1,500-1,800 max to maintain. Also try to get at least 3 miles walking in every day.

12. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @Rosemary@Rosemary That's amazing. Many people find it quite hard including me. Maintaining for that long is really great job from you. Well done. Yes regular exercising with the proper maintained diet is the key of maintaining weight. But surely it is not hard as one need hard dedication for the same.

#12Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2017
  13. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can save a lot when you are able to maintain your weight that's why I panic whenever I would gain 2 pounds or more. I would immediately stop eating rice and drink more water plus more exercise. When my wife was 130 pounds and she started gaining, I already advised her to arrest her weight gain otherwise she may become obese. And when you are obese, it is so difficult to lose weight. Now she had reached 170 pounds and is still trying for 2 months to lose even just 1 pound. She had reached the threshhold so I guess it will give her a hard time to lose weight.

14. Rosemary

RosemaryNew Member

Threads:
    That's why when I gain a lb or two I drop my calorie intake to about 1200...pounds can creep up easily if you aren't watching.

15. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I think by doing exercises, having balanced diet and healthy lifestyle will help us to maintain our weight. Being consistent is important too. Besides these, one of the ways that works for my husband is to skip dinner or only have light meals for dinner. It's good to let our digestion system have a proper rest at night, so having too heavy meals at night might not be good for our health, and might contribute much to our weight too.

16. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    I have the same problem – that is, how to maintain the weight loss. Even though I try to maintain it, it increases. Now I have stopped having my dinner. I have something to eat before 8pm and then skip dinner. My friend said whatever you eat after 8pm will affect your body. I have been trying this and will monitor my weight and see.

17. Penny

PennyActive Member

Threads:
    What people mean about not losing weigh by dieting it that whatever change you make should not be temporary, it should be permanent. The same goes for exercise. To permanently change your weight you have to permanently change your relationship with food and/or exercise.

There are all sorts of ways of doing this, and different things work for different people. But any diet you can;t imagine being on forever, is a diet that isn't going to keep you at your new lower weight. So by all means try different diets, but be looking for the one that could actually be your new lifestyle for the rest of your life.

For me that was an increase in exercise and simple calorie restriction, 30 pounds off and it has stayed off now for over three years.

18. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I should say I am very lucky at weight control as I never had to try anything to reduce my weight. In fact, I am naturally gifted with a slim body structure so even if I eat fast food (which I generally don't) it makes no difference. I have been maintaining almost same weight right from my college days which remains in the range of 73-76 KG depending upon weather condition. I tend to lose some weight during summers and regain it during winters. Maybe my sporting and walking activities have something to do that.

19. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @Ray1@Ray1 You are lucky for sure. Even here I have one cousin which used to eat lots of fast food and other food which can increase fat in no time. But he is quite slim. This is really frustrating because I used to eat really less and still I gain weight really fast. So all the time I have to maintain my food habit. And yes rarely goes for fast food and all kind of things. May be once in a month.

#19Apr 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2017
  20. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    One of the ways to loose weight is by dieting, my understanding of this a reduction in the quantity of food one eat and not starving the body all because you want to lose some weight. Eating fruits in excess will help supply the body with enough fibers and nutrient that can help in fat regulation. Sedentary livestyle should be discouraged too.