Major Changes At Aldi

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by blurinoctober • Feb 24, 2016.

1. blurinoctober

blurinoctoberActive Member

Threads:
    When I was a child, I'd absolutely hate when my mother decided to shop at Aldi. It saved her money, but I was always sure the food tasted awful. Then, in my teenage years, there were a bunch of reports about their products being tainted with horse meat! They were knocked off my radar entirely.

But in recent months, I've heard more and more about them changing for the better! They're making things healthier, removing additives from their products, and keeping the same low prices. Are these changes enough reason to trust them again? Do you shop there religiously or avoid it like the plague?

on some changes they have made.

2. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I go there occasionally. I do not buy all of their products as some of it is just not tasty to me. They do have some good points like their price on dairy products, spices, oils, cereals, and some of their frozen foods. I do not like their soups or their version of the chef boy ardee products. I find them greasy and do not taste right. I do like their frozen breaded shrimp though and their french toast sticks. I have not been there in a while but if they are making these changes and not increasing their price I will go there soon to check it out.

3. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think Aldi has very good prices on their fresh produce and most of it is quite good. I have noticed, the last time I was in there that they have a lot more organic and healthy products including Bolthouse juices. I mean Aldi really runs the gamut from the very good and healthy food, to cheap foods that are not good for you. I really like their variety of products. Most of their products are decent tasting in my opinion. Some could really use improvement.

4. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think a lot of people just think Aldi is bad, because it's known as being "cheap." It's kind of funny really. My FiL used to complain about me shopping there, until one day when he came for dinner. He started his usual spiel, and I said, "You must like that Aldi food pretty well after all, since you're the first one to arrive at the dinner table and the last one to get up from it." He didn't have much to say about it after that.

I actually like the store overall. I don't buy everything there, but they have enough good stuff that is priced low that it's worth the extra effort. I just wish the closest one wasn't an hour away. I don't get there as often as I'd like to.

Oh, and as far as the horse meat thing goes, here is a link for your reading pleasure:

5. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I think that most of the negative rumors spread about Aldi are carried out by people who have never shopped there. I love Aldi. I always find great deals on produce (including organic produce), as well as healthy options for my family such as whole wheat pasta. Aldi has a 'Fit and Active' brand that has reduced levels of calories, sugar, and sodium in items such as yogurt, granola bars, soups, etc. While shopping at Aldi, one must take into account that most of what is sold there is generic, store brand products, and you shold eithe bting your own grocery bags or buy them at tbe register (I alwas bring my own or search for empty boxes to use whIle I'm shopping).

I have found little to no difference between Aldi's store brand and name brand pantry items such as bread, bagels, canned vegetables and fruits, pasta, condiments, baking items, seasonings, chips, salsa, tuna, and refrigerated amd frozen items such as ice cream, cheese, milk, butter, and margarine. Aldi also has a great selection of produce. While it's produce section is smaller than larger supermarket chain stores, I have found that the quality and price are spot on. I have purchased lunch meat at Aldi, but usually the other meats are picked over by the time I get to the store. Bottom line: I am not ashamed to let people know that I shop there. Aldi is a great place to grocery shop to save money!

6. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I loved when my mother shopped there! It was an exciting car ride, even if I got carsick, then the store was a huge maze and we got lots of things we didn't normally get. We stocked up there, especially for the winter. I have heart bad things here and there, but how many are true, I don't know. Every big business has skeletons in their closets. But, I have heard they are giving Whole Foods a run for their money. I know for a fact, that some of the stuff doesn't taste as good as brand name, but it is doable. They have other things though that are just as good if not better then brand names in my opinion.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Aldi has upped their game. Here in Europe it is the best supermarket and people choose to go there. The quality has improved, but it will vary for fresh produce where you are. I can say the quality surprised my mother who hated Aldi, but now she has started to go and prefers the goods there now.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really like the quality of the Fresh Produce at Aldi's. The store has the best priced milk in the area. We can not get all the things we need for the household which means we have to go to another store which is usually Wegman's. My grandsons eat a lot of cereal so we get the larger boxes at Wegman's.

9. PennyPincher

PennyPincherMember

Threads:
    We go to the Aldi in the next town over and I simply love it. The food always tastes great and there's nowhere around here that can beat their prices. What I did find odd in Aldi the first time I went in there was the color of the floors. lol It just seemed weird to me that the floors of a grocery store would be such an ugly brown color. However, I have gotten past that now with all the money I save. :)

10. beasleym1989

beasleym1989Member

Threads:
    I just recently started shopping at Aldi's and couldn't be more impressed. They had an amazing selection of cheese and other dairy products. I like to use real butter in my recipes, but it's so expensive most places. I paid $1.50 less per pack at Aldi's than I could find anywhere else. My boyfriend is a construction worker and they have so many options for single serve items that I can just throw in his lunch cooler. The quality of their products seems to stock up to the competition in my opinion. As long as things stay how they are now then I'll continue shopping there.

11. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Some food in ALDI like biscuits, crisps, soft drinks etc are very nice, even their bread rolls aren't too shabby, but their meat is sub-par in my opinion. Probably the only thing that I still would not buy from them, but everything else is value for money.

12. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I would shop there much more often than I currently do, but unfortunately there is someone working at our closest location whom I cannot stand, and she's a cashier there - so it just makes shopping there awkward. We used to work together like 20 years ago and never got along. The only other closest one is like 40+ minutes away.

I used to be creeped out by shopping there when I first went to one, because I wasn't used to the format of the store vs. the big chain grocery stores I was more used to. All the employees seemed so emotionless and not very helpful at all (do they train them to be so stone cold like that?!).

Quality wise, I've always been pleased with just about everything I purchased there. I'm not super big on paying extra for brand name products when the store brand stuff is typically just as good.

13. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would like to shop there to try it out, but the one time I tried, the one line was excessively long, and I had to go to another store anyway, since the variety was so limited at Aldi. The store itself is pretty large, but I guess the majority of it is taken up with storage in back, because it's a very small grocery section. I don't know if the selection varies by location, but I like one stop shopping, and I can't do that at Aldi. I don't mind running to the store once or twice in between my huge trip at the beginning of the month, but I tend to go to the closest store, which is Kroger, by far. I did see some interesting products and really low prices, especially on produce and condiments, so if they put a store in closer to where I live, I'd try them out.

14. Tina122321

Tina122321Member

Threads:
    We shop at aldi in between our trips to Costco. They are closer and cheaper than any of the grocery stores by us. We don't buy anything with high fructose corn syrup, artificial sweeteners, or artificial food coloringand they don't have that in any of their brand products. They have the things I need such as organic milk, sweet potato chips, organic greens, and grass fed beef for a much better price than the other grocery stores near me. I am very excited to hear they will be carrying even more organic produce in the future.

15. knitmehere

knitmehereMember

Threads:
    I shop there quite a bit, but just because it's really close to my daughter's father's house and it means that I don't have to go out of my way to go to a grocery store after I pick her up on the days that he keeps her.

I don't have a problem with most of their food. They have some products at amazing prices compared to other places. I got eggs at 99 cents a dozen a few weeks ago, when they are $3 a dozen everywhere else in my area.

That being said, I never really buy bread or meats there. Veggies also seem to go bad fairly quick compared to those from other stores.