Major purchases online

Discussion in Misc & Others started by GavinMcresty • May 4, 2013.

1. GavinMcresty

GavinMcrestyMember

Threads:
    Have you ever made a really huge purchase online? I mean something along the lines of buying a house. I know people sell houses on eBay but I am not at the stage where I could afford a house at all. I was just wondering whether anyone had ever bought anything like that over the internet. How did it work? Did you get what you expected? Did you have any problems at all?

2. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    No, I haven't made any truly major purchases online, and thinking about it, I'm not sure I would really be comfortable doing so. I'm all for researching things online and looking through reviews and opinions and such, but I want to make major purchases in person.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I haven't made a major purchase like a house online. I did buy a car on eBay, but I searched for sellers that were local to me so I could actually preview the car first. I also saved a lot on shipping charges.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have the guts, so no. I'm not very trusting when it comes to buying online (I'm a big online shopper though, lol) so large purchases would likely give me a heart attack until the deal was complete.

5. ozadin

ozadinActive Member

Threads:
    No, you should probably check out the house before you buy it. Pictures don't describe everything, you have to see it for yourself.
    I'm the one that gets very paranoid when buying online, since there is a chance of scamming.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    The biggest thing I bought online was probably a widescreen TV. I don't think I'd ever buy a house online, since I probably would prefer having someone to talk to about it personally if ever I do, also I'd want to see the house first. The biggest I would go would probably be a car, but only a brand new one straight from the manufacturer. I know it's not available yet, but someday it probably will be and I'd probably try it out.

7. ReishiSpore

ReishiSporeMember

Threads:
    I have not made any major purchases online either. The most expensive item I have bought from the internet is a guitar. It's a black Epiphone at £250. I was pleased with my purchase and didn't have any issues with it.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The biggest purchase that I have made online so far was a smartphone, and I really don't mind buying gadgets online as long as the seller is reputable. But if ever I can afford to buy a house or a car, then I'd feel safer buying it in person as well as compared to buying it online.

9. asteriks

asteriksMember

Threads:
    My friend bought a car a few years ago in an eBay listing for a few thousand dollars and when she went to pick it up, she realised it was a scam. Unfortunately, she had already wired the money through Western Union. As for me, my biggest purchase has to be my phone which was $500 after using gift cards on Amazon.

10. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I have made a major purchase but it wasn't something that I actually paid for, my father paid for it. It was a mobility scooter that he wanted which cost him £4,500 last year. We got a free watch with the bike which he gave me as a birthday present! :eek:

11. okfortoday

okfortodayNew Member

Threads:
    I dont like the idea of huge purchases. Too much risk

12. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    The most expensive thing I bought online would be a laptop and accessories from Dell. I spent about $2700. This was about 10 years ago, when computers cost much more. I did end up regretting it though. The computer was much heavier than I realized, and the maximum resolution on the screen was really low, so it was miserable trying to get any work done on it. I could have gotten something much nicer at a better price if I would have just shopped around more.

13. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    No way I'd buy something as valuable as a house online. I've bought a few cars through sites, but that was just the first contact. After that I met to see the car of course!

14. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    Like many people here, I haven't bought anything major online. The most I spent on an online purchase was $18, it was a SanDisk 16 GB SD card. I don't trust big purchases online, if I'm spending a lot of money on something then I would prefer physically viewing the item, it makes the purchase feel more secure to me.