Make money selling old books!

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by missnc35 • Jul 11, 2012.

1. missnc35

missnc35Member

Threads:
    You can make money selling your old, used book at Half Price Books. Most of the time, they give a small amount depending in the book. I think it's still an awesome way to scrounge up some money when you need fast cash. Go to your local Half Price Books and see how much your stuff is worth, you might be pleasantly surprised at how much extra money you had lying around in The House!

2. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I've tried and have also seen people try. The bookstores just aren't buying the books, unless it's something heavily in demand. Unfortunately, I don't think selling a biography of Joseph Goebbels is high on someone's wish list and won't be selling out any stores soon. The only way to sell your books is to sell them on Amazon.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Certain books are in demand. I received a few beautifully illustrated craft books. I put them up on Half.com and they sold very quickly. I didn't think about Amazon at the time.

4. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for this post. I have been looking for a place to sell my books besides Craigslist. I did find another website that buys used books, but I don't remember what the site was. I might give this one a try.

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can send your books to Amazon they will ship the books off to the purchaser of the books. I have not used the service myself. Good luck.

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for bumping this thread. A new used bookstore has moved into the old Borders Bookstore space. All books are just $1.00. I was there today and they have some really great books. If I can find the right books, I could make a few extra dollars.

7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    Money is a huge thing for me and mostly what I need now. But books are my treasures too. I'm a book hoarder, regardless of their value, I'll definitely add them to my collection, and I don't think I'll ever sell them in the near future. I absolutely love looking at them and saying, "That's an amazing clutter of literature." It makes me feel euphoric. :) Thanks for the post though.

8. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I used to sell some of my old text books when I was in college and needed some extra cash. Some of the textbooks have good resell value. I used Half Priced Books and Cash4books.net. I do not sell many anymore because I mostly get novels and they are not worth much of anything unless they are a new release. A lot of the books I get are second hand now, so it is just easier to donate them again if I do not want them.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Great tip but . . .

Selling old books might not make you a lot of money. For me, unless it's a book that's merely cluttering up my shelves [because I'll never read it] then I'd rather donate the books. I read only comic books these days and once I'm done reading I always send them to a local orphanage here so the kids can also read them.

10. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been planning to get rid of an Umberto Eco book and it's not because I don't like it. I find it too serious a reading and don't have the heart to finish what I started. Thank you for letting us know about Half Price Books. I recently viewed their website and it seems like I can make a clean profit from a stack of old books, gathering dust on my shelf.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think this is a good idea if you have a bunch of books that are unused. I have a lot of old textbooks that are stuck in a drawer at home, so I would gladly sell them and make extra cash, no matter how low, because I don't need any of them anymore.

12. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    You are so lucky. Our empty Borders lot is simply used for all sorts of exhibitions. The only bookstore that opened nearby kind of sucks. =o(

Regarding what I do with books is depending on what kind of book it is. If it's some sort of textbook or educational book, I'll try selling it on ebay. If it isn't then I just donate it to thrift stores.

13. worldmachine

worldmachineActive Member

Threads:
    There is always a demand for antiquarian books if you have any in your possession, dealers are always on the look out for rare books, first editions and signed books. These books tend to sell well on ebay also and can be a good investment for the collector.

Books in general though have become a victim of the electronic age much like DVD's and CD's, so they are not likely to make you any significant money.

14. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What a difference a year makes. That used bookstore was pushed out and replaced with a Dave and Busters Restaurant. It's truly sad that bookstores are disappearing.

15. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wish there was a chain that would take any book somewhere near me. While I don't usually get rid of my old books, we do have some that no one has any use for around the house, and getting some little cash on the side for them would be nice. Oh well, too bad. :)

16. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm so glad to see someone else mention half.com. I have sold and bought items on there in the past, and am considering listing some of my items there again soon. I'm happy to see that others are aware of the site, and use it.

17. teabwoi

teabwoiActive Member

Threads:
    Yes this is something that I have tried before and like someone has said it is really hard to get your books sold. The best thing that I think that anyone could do it set up there book to be sold on amazon by using FBA. Other than that I think that it would be really hard to get it sold to your local bookstore.

18. E.Mil

E.MilMember

Threads:
    I tried selling books at half price books years ago and I didn't accept their offer because I thought it was too low. The books I had were outdated and I think that it s why they have me a low offer. I wasn't expecting a lot of money anyway but I did expect a little more than what they offered.

19. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't tried selling used books. I know there's a website which buys used books but i forgot what it was called. You type in the ISBN number and then the website decides the price for the book. I thought it's really interesting. Too bad my books are really used up it's not worth selling.

20. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    I have heard that that is a really great site to buy and sell your books. I think that I tried to sell some of my textbooks on thhere, but it didn't work out. I'm sure that you could make okay money on there if you sold your old books, but I just can't part with mine. Right now I'm just keeping all the books that I have, and don't want to sell them. Maybe at some point I will sell them.