Make Your Own Detergent!

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by wallet • Jul 9, 2017.

1. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    Making your own detergent will help you on saving money and your detergent is natural and much better than what you buy from a supermarket! You will need some ingredients and these are:
    4.5 ounces of a shaved bar soap
    1 cup of borax
    1 cup of washing soda
    All you must to do is to mix all together and stir until you will get a very fine powder. After that you can start using it, you can add one tablespoon to your wash machine, but if your laundry is more dirty than usual you should add 2 tablespoons of detergent!

Attached Files:

2. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Although I had already read something about it, I had never really tried to make my own detergent. Your tip seems to be interesting and quite easy to do. I think I'm going to try it! Thanks. :)

3. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    I was just like you Shine_Spirit I didn't knew too much about making a detergent and I was afraid to try it. After I have found this easy recipe and I made it once, now I am making it all the time!
    Thank you for your answer!

4. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I have seen a couple of diy laundry soaps but this one is the simpliest one yet. The ones I have seen consists of about 6 ingridients and this one only has half the amount. Thanks for sharing as this for sure will be saving a lot of cash.

5. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @wallet@wallet They call me an experimenter at home for I am fond of experimenting on concoctions. So maybe I can try your recipe for a homemade detergent and see the results myself. In fact, I have just tried a homemade concoction of insect repellent and currently testing it for 3 days now. It's looking good and the mosquitoes seemed to have been avoiding our living room. I will post this homemade insect repellent when I finally have compiled my test results. As for this homemade detergent, I will definitely try it.

#5Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2017
  6. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for explaining the home made method. I think it's a good idea. But if your home has kids and too much stuff laying around. It's better to avoid doing all of that. I think for those who are living in a country side. They can surely make use of that as well. That surely helps save some money.

7. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    This sounds so interesting and so economical. I could go with using just 2-3 ingredients like you have done, but would probably experiment with fragrance of some kind to make it more interesting! Although, I do have one question, what kind of bar soap have used the shavings from?

8. Paige J

Paige JNew Member

Threads:
    This is a really simple and great formula - thanks for sharing!

Another method that I've had success with is using soap nuts to wash laundry and also for use in homemade hair/body soap. Soap nuts naturally produce saponins, which is what makes the bubbles in traditional soaps from the drugstore. You just simply put two to three soap nuts in a small mesh laundry bag with your clothes. You can also add a couple drops of essential oil if you want your clothes to have a particular scent. The great part about these are you can reuse the soap nuts a couple times before all of the saponins are completely extracted. I ordered a large bag of the soap nuts from Mountain Rose Herbs and I've had it for a little over two years with only half the bag gone.

There are a ton of different ways to use the soap nuts. If anyone is interested I can post a few formulas for shampoo and housecleaning products using soaps nuts as well. Hope this was helpful!

9. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, I am so impressed by this because it's actually part of my family business. We deal on locally made detergents. It's used for washing of all sorts of laundry especially hotel laundry, plates, houses and vehicles.

This actually saves a lot of money for people that patronize us because it's cheaper and also gives you the same benefits and satisfaction of using other costly detergents.

10. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well it seems easy enough, but I would have to do some caluculations here before I am sure it would end up saving me money. I mostly say that though because I just anticipate myself messing something up.

11. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    That is very interesting. We get soap nuts abundantly here in India and they are very cheap too. I use powdered soap nuts along with a few ingredients to wash my hair with but I never gave a thought that they can be used to wash clothes too. I mean, I know that soap nuts are used to wash very expensive silk clothes by older women in my country. I think I must explore it further! Great job by the way that you are doing with your soap nuts!

12. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    @Paige J@Paige J. Wow, I never knew such nuts actually occur. Why didn't they teach this things in school. It will be beneficial to mankind if only the trees were available and growing all over the world. I once saw a documentary wherein a man is collecting dry leaves that fall from a certain tree (can't remember the name of the tree though) and then mixes it with water in a pale, after some time bubbles starts to appear. The man said it is very abundant in their region and they were using it as some sort of a shampoo. Thanks for sharing about soap nuts.

13. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    This is such a simple thing to do. I have never thought about making my own detergent before. I have made stuff like hand cream and mixed natural products for body use. I will definitely try this and see how it works. It is amazing how many things you can make with just normal stuff you keep in the house. Someone mentioned using vanilla sticks as a perfume:)

Can you add drops of oil perfume to this recipe to give your soap/clothes a great after-wash smell?

14. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    Can you share the method of making the insect repellent please? Here we always have to "stay" with the mosquitoes, and there are many nights we couldn't sleep well. I have tried a few methods, but they don't seem to work well.

This method of making detergent seems easy. I have heard a friend saying it's really hard to make the liquid detergent. Perhaps she is using a different method. I would like to give this a try. :)

15. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    A few years ago, we joined a company that sells DIY soaps, shampoos and laundry detergent. You'll buy a certain package which consists of the ingredients to be used in doing any of these. They are way more cheaper compared when you buy a shampoo, soap and laundry detergent from your local store. They are fun to make as well but there will be a process and you have to wait for a certain time before you can use the product :)

16. sommax

sommaxMember

Threads:
    Woww!! I have never thought of making my detergents myself. I bet it will save me a lot of money and maybe I may make a little cash from it. Thanks @wallet@wallet for this information.