Make Your Own Games And Save

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Zyni • Sep 9, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Have you ever tried making your own games? I've seen some cute ones. I also think it would be fun to get the kids on board and see what fun ideas they can come up with. You can use all sorts of stuff that you may even already have around to make some things to play with and save money.

You can easily make your own card games by cutting them out from cardboard. Game pieces can be made from bottle caps too.

I really want to make a super-size checkerboard. I think I'll crochet the squares or do like a patchwork quilt. I may paint Lids from jars or other containers to use as checkers. I think it would be a fun floor game for the grandkids. I might make a big Tic-Tac-Toe game as well.

Even with buying craft supplies and stuff (especially if you take advantage of discounts) these could also make some affordable gifts.

Do you have thoughts or ideas on this?

2. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    I do not really think that making your own games could be an option for saving money since you would spend more on creating a game than on buying one for a good and reasonable price. The amount of time that creating a game could take you would definitely be the amount of time you would spend on doing something else to get some money for a game, that's my opinion though.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Board games are the easiest to make.

It's easy to make Ludu-type games because all you have to do is draw some grid. All you need is a large card board, a ruler, pencil and pen. You can draw some inspiration from snakes and ladder games to make the game you make a little more challenging.

Or you could also try making a jigsaw puzzle.

4. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've seen the large floor games you're talking about, and they look like a lot of fun. I think more than for saving money, they would be a keepsake later on, and you might have to make more than one set, because the grandkids might get attached to them and each want one. You could actually make different ones, and perhaps carry bags for them, and they could bring them when they come for sleepovers. If you decide you enjoy making them, that could be a moneymaking venture for you, because a lot of parents these days are looking for retro-type toys, but don't want to make them themselves.

5. kingcool52

kingcool52Active Member

Threads:
    When I saw this thread I thought you would be talking about proper games such as console/pc games :D. But yeah board games are easy to make and they can be really fun if they are done properly. And who knows it might even turn out to be such a good idea that you can maybe sell it and make a business out of it. Of course, some people would much rather just buy existing board games which would just be a lot easier and a lot less hassle to setup

6. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    I have tried doing this. I got hooked playing Game of the Generals when I was a kid, I played chess before that and ever since I played Game of the Generals, I never played chess again. I tried looking for the board game but it was quite hard to find. I found one but it was too expensive for a kid like me to afford. So, I took an Illustration board and began making the game. I saved a lot of money and was able to test my creativity at the same time.

7. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    I'm currently studying programming because I would love to make my own games. Of course, I would start from retro to board games, because they're the easy ones to make. I only hope though that I've been given extra time in a day to study.

8. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    This is an excellent idea. This can enhance creativity in your kids and also saves a lot of money wasting on games. It can also save kids from computer addiction. In fact there is no limit on imagination. My kids usually make jigsaw puzzle games from photos of celebrities. I also join them sometimes, it’s really fun. This is not only about saving money but also about their overall development.

I think we should encourage kids making games at home especially during these times of computer/game addiction. Usually parents allow kids to play games on computer for indefinite time just to get rid of them. But this is a dangerous tendency. It can adversely affect his psychological and physical development and hampers his socializing skills.

9. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    When I was younger, my uncle created a giant board game out of a television carton. It was based on the game ''la loteria'' or ''bingo'' but in the loteria, you play with cards and characters such as the devil, angel, archer, merchant etc. are drawn on the cards. Basically, you roll the die and depending on which character you land on, you must choose a card and if your card is superior, you get to move on or be punished accordingly. It was fun.

10. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    It would be cool to make your own video games and you'd save a load of money too. Nonetheless, you would have to be super smart. However, though, on the bright side, money might not be the problem - as probably there is some open source software out there to make them. Has anyone tried to make video games?

11. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I cannot say that I have gone this far, but I certainly do not want to rule anything out in order to save a couple of bucks here and there. This might take a little effort though, so some preparation is in order.

12. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    He he.. Even I thought about computer games when I see this thread. But nope so far I have never tried such thing. I haven't seen any kid doing this either. But I have seen many kids making their own game (at play ground) and used to play it by their own rules. Those games are quite interesting and funny for sure.