Make your own snacks

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Jessi • Jul 3, 2012.

1. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    These snacks sound so good . I make my own cookies and muffins. The prices have gone up so much when you buy them at the store you can make twice as much for the same price. We also pack snack bags when we go to the park with the kids. Everyone has their own brown bag with a drink. When it is empty the bag can be dumped nothing to carry.

2. leyash

leyashActive Member

Threads:
    I make smoothies and freeze them. I thaw two of them a day, and drink them when I get hungry. Definitely helps with the hunger factor, and makes it a bit easier to "eat."

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    You freeze the smoothies? What kind of ingredients do you use then? I can see freezing things that are only berries, etc, but anything with a milk product like yogurt (which I associate with smoothies), would make me a little worried about the texture.

4. micromachne

micromachneMember

Threads:
    I would love to make my own snacks. Especially the frozen kind seeings as it's the summer and the heat gets unbearable over here. What I wouldn't give for an ice cream maker or an ices dispenser.

5. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    Thanks Livvi, I am so proud that your children loved it and I am sure they will be asking you to make it again for them this way. The apple gives it that special something that is missing I think and will make the kids love apples even more than one way, now that they have had a good tasting snack. Enjoy!

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's also super cheap to make popcorn with a popper. I have a Presto popcorn machine that I bought on Amazon a while ago for $16.
    A bottle of popping corn lasts for ages because you only need a few teaspoons of popcorn kernels to make a huge bowl of popcorn, and the basic popcorn isn't unhealthy but you can add stuff to make it as unhealthy as you want to.

7. SandraHoffmann

SandraHoffmannNew Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the recipe actually i always wanted to add some random things in it. I will use this recipe and let you guys know how it taste like.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I saw a one pound jar of cheddar cheese powder on Amazon. Has anyone tried making their own cheese popcorn? I'm trying to figure out if the savings from making my own cheese popcorn is worth the $12 for a pound of cheese powder.

9. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    It probably is, depending on just how often you eat cheese popcorn. I would imagine it only takes a few tablespoons at most for a bag of popcorn (or a 1/2 cup of kernels). That pound of cheese powder would probably last you a really long time, so long as you keep it in a dry place, etc.

10. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I make a lot of snacks myself too. I usually try to stay away from processed foods so that's why. One of my favorite snacks is dried mulberries. The taste so good and they are so healthy. I like to make my own mixes of fruit and nuts, kind of like a trail mix although I don't use peanuts because I don't like them and I don't include any M&Ms because I am avoiding sugar. There are so many good things you can eat, there is no reason really for me to be eating boxed processed snack foods.