Making A 60-day List

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Denis Hard • Jan 28, 2016.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This apparently can be a great way to curb impulse buying. When you feel you want something when you are shopping or doing some research on the net instead of attempting to resist the urge to buy it, put it on your shopping list but wait two months before you actually buy it. If you didn't need the item maybe after 60 days when you look at your shopping list, you'll have no option but to strike it off the list.

Thoughts?

2. valedevento

valedeventoNew Member

Threads:
    It sounds like a great idea to avoid impulse shopping, which we know are usually things we don't need after all. But what if you need the product soon, then there is no way you want to wait 2 months. It might also depend on how expensive the product is, do you really have to wait that long and give it serious thought if it is cheap. If something is on sale, I don't hesitate, just grab the discount while it is there :)

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I sort of do this already, but not with a paper list. I add things to my Amazon wish list or a secret Pinterest board, and sometimes I find that I don't want the item anymore, or a more economical option comes along so I delete the wish list entries. It has likely saved me money because it gives me time to sleep on a purchase.

4. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    This is a good idea for large purchases that you "want" rather than "need" and it is a tactic that I have used myself in the past. When you have to think about it for so long, you often find that you don't really want the item at all, and you just let the excitement run away with you when you first started to think about. So yes, waiting for that length of time before finally making your decision could be a good thing to do indeed.

5. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    A very valuable tip for sure - particularly as setting a time limit before purchasing something is the generally accepted way of curbing impulse buying.

I do however - think that a 60 day time frame is a bit excessive and way longer than it needs to be - and that setting a time limit that long is probably unnecessary for most - especially as - the standard “ 30 day rule “ has repeatedly proved to be more than successful in helping the majority of people break old habits and adopt new ones.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I also think that 60 days is way too long, I think 30 days is enough already for you to deliberate on the item. If you still have that burning desire to still buy that item after that time frame, then go ahead. But make sure to buy it using cash and not credit card, you don't want to acquire another debt, don't you?

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What we do is to make the 2-week shopping list that is general. It is actually a payday list, i.e. twice a month. Aside from the regular grocery items, the list would also include household items like curtains, pillows and throwpillows and sometimes even furnitures and appliances. For the second half of January, our list had a rice cooker because our present rice cooker seems to be giving us a dry rice. For the first half of February, the list included an oven toaster.

8. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I already do this, but don't follow the 60 day rule. I also put it on my wish list and over time, the novelty may wear off and I find that I no longer want it and move on from it. I agree 60 days is a little too long to wait. But I can definitely see this working, especially with the pricier items. Waiting gives you time to really think if you really need to go ahead with the purchase.