Making A Home Smell Nice

Discussion in Product Reviews started by thatnewmommy • Aug 25, 2015.

1. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    One of those things is that I like my house to smell nice. Not too much that it smells like you're living inside a flower shop or riding a giant peach, but just a whiff of something nice here and there.

The most important room is the bathroom. Just because...it's a bathroom and people visit and they're all ages and it's a bathroom. I have a small bathroom so I like a small freshener like the

. I have one right by the light switch by the door, so that when you're on your way out it's a quick push and that's it.

In the bedroom and craft/office, I like a light scent so I like to use the

. I like these because it not only switches up the scent but you can adjust how little or how much you want. I particularly like the Serenity in the bedroom and the Cinnamon Sugar in the office.

Because we have an open living/dining/kitchen area, I use the

from Air Wick.

In the trash can I use

. Not only are they sturdy enough for everything we stick in there (what can I say, I like to craft and am raising a mini-crafter) but I am liking this whole "stink-control" these bags have going on. If you have, you know....odors (yes, diaper pail, I'm looking at you), these OdorShield bags help with neutralizing them. The Gain? Now I totally get why that commercial has that man sniffing the carpet. LOL It's a nice scent strong enough that you can smell it when you're by the trash can but soft enough that it doesn't mess with yummy kitchen scents.
    I'm not just using them in the trash and diaper pail, either. I'm also using them to store comforters we're not using (yes, there WERE nights that were comforter-using-chilly night) and...well...

I used to use candles, but ever since we had the baby we don't use them anymore. What do you do to keep your home smelling clean? (Obviously, people, this is besides the cleaning itself.)

2. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love smell good stuffs. I do down the aisle sniffing them, lol. Unfortunately, a lot of those things are too strong for me.

I do agree that Gain smells quite nice. I love a nice, clean, fragrance rather than something too perfume-y.

I tend to prefer tossing half a dryer sheet (or better yet, a lightly used one) into a trash can before adding a liner. It's just a tiny bit of scent, but I find it to be just about right. Of course, my diaper pail days are over now. ;)

3. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To me, the best and least artificial way to make your house smell nice is to use scented candles. I think those sprays and scented oil's will smell artificial, people will know you sprayed something. Now with candles it kind of looks like your natural house smell.
    I love Bath and Bodyworks candles for that, especially the ones that smell like flowers, spring and for the fall, there is a really nice candle called Leaves.
    The only place I will use the spray is in the bathroom. I will leave a spray there for when people feel the need to make it smell good after they use it...

4. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I have tried practically all of the Glade products and none of them seems to have long-lasting results, except for the Glade PlugIns Scented Oil Warmer with the Hawaiian Breeze, but other than this, perhaps my next option is Febreze Air Effects Linen and Sky Air Refresher.

However I'm finding more appealing burning incense around the house, and keeping both empty and unopened incense packets into the bathroom so it always smells nice :)

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The best is fresh air and then if it's cold or wet, then a fragranced candle. I don't like the air fresheners too much as they smell too artificial, but nothing is better than fresh air and then sometimes my favorite fragrance. I think keeping places odor free is hard with animals around, and yes air fresheners may be needed, but in general I try not to use them.

6. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not a fan of home fragrances either and prefer to keep my house well-aired. I do have a couple of those Neutrogena odor traps (is that the right name for them? Those white plastic balls with the jelly inside) in the kitchen and bathroom but overall, I prefer fresh air or the smell of clean laundry.

7. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree that fresh air is the best, although it's not always practical. A good way to eliminate odors without adding fragrance is to use baking soda, just like when you throw a box in the fridge. You can add a little dish of it here and there to absorb cooking odors and such. It's certainly cheap enough too.

I like a bit of fragrance though, just not the overpowering stuff. I don't care for the oil warmers and things like that, because I think they are too strong. I don't think it can be good to be breathing all that stuff all the time, which is why I like the dryer sheet thing. Much more subtle. Works great in storage containers and things like that too.

8. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I’m a candles and incense person, for sure. I don’t mind if a scent is a bit on the strong side, as long as it’s the right scent. I much prefer vanilla, coconut, sandalwood, and spicy scents over most florals and fruity scents, for example. I’m not really big on the sprays and such; most smell too artificial for my liking. But I’ve found I don’t mind them as much in, say, a workplace bathroom; just not in my own home. So I suppose it’s partly a matter of context for me.

9. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We usually light candles in our home if we want it to smell nice. Other times we will burn some incense sticks. The best fragrance of incense, in my opinion, has got to be the Sandalwood one. It just has this musky sweet smell to it that can transport you into another time it seems. The whole house will quickly smell like it too.

10. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    As I'm highly allergic to the artificial fragrances contained in air fresheners and scented candles - in fact so much so that I can't even go anywhere near the aisle where they are on sale in a store - as I react so quickly and so badly that I wouldn't be able to finish my shopping.

I've always kept my home smelling nice the natural way - keeping it clean, opening the windows regularly and having a little baking soda dotted around in small containers here and there to absorb any cooking odors etc - seems to work just fine too - as visitors always compliment me on how beautifully fresh and clean my home smells

11. DreekLass

Threads:
    Another way to keep your home smelling nice, is to keep good smelling food. I find that the smell of food that you've cooked can last a long time, and even when the inhabitants of the house feel like the smell has gone, new people who enter the house will sometimes comment on a nice foody smell.

12. thatnewmommy

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass I used to live in a home with a tiny kitchen. I once decided to bake some apple cinnamon cupcakes and it filled up the whole house. It was such a great smell!!!

@LeopardJones@LeopardJones Idk why but I also don't really gravitate towards florals and fruits...except coconut maybe. MAYBE.

13. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have respiratory issues, and also several cats with Asthma, so between the two, I do have odors, and can't use many commercial products. What I do is keep the ceiling fans on, to circulate air. When possible, which is only about 2 months maximum out of the year, I will open the windows when there's a breeze outside, so the fresh air can come in and circulate.

When I need or want a fragrance boost, I will add some water, spices, and sliced apples to a pan and let it simmer for hours. That makes the whole house smell delicious, and elevates my mood.

14. Juno

JunoActive Member

Threads:
    I like it when I enter a home and it has a nice scent as well. I use to use candles a lot too, but have stopped for safety as well. I will occasionally use the glade air freshener plug ins, but I forget to take them out and then they burn out. I also wonder about the chemicals in those fragrances. So, I have stopped using them as well and resorted to fresh flowers when I have time. It makes a great look for the home as well. The scents are subtle, fresh, and not harmful unless you have allergies.

15. LeopardJones

Threads:
    High five for a fellow sandalwood lover! :)

Yeah, coconut is definitely my one big exception to that. I think it might be one of those scents that can still be pleasant even when the product is kind of cheap and doesn’t quite smell like coconut. But when the scent is on point… so much yes. I was honestly kind of sad when I finished up my last bar of coconut soap recently, haha.

16. DreekLass

Threads:
    I love all sorts of incense fragrances. I tend to purchase the real incense sticks too, as I do sometimes perform spells, or cleansing, and I want the real thing, in order for these cleansing to take effect. Are you fond of any other incense stick fragrances. I am not a fan of Frankincense and Mur, but it is strong.

17. LeopardJones

Threads:
    Most of mine tend to be along the lines of my other favorite scents. But there’s a chamomile/sandalwood/vanilla mix I really like. It’s supposed to be geared toward meditation, and while I do use it for that purpose I will sometimes burn it when I’m irritable and need to relax. And my incense collection also houses one of the few floral scents I really like - frangipani. I like frankincense on its own, but I ran out of the one I had and I’ve never been able to find it again.

18. DreekLass

Threads:
    They are great for meditation. I like to use the lavender ones for that, and for when I am settling down to write, and I'd like for the words to just flow. I have never heard of Frangipani. I will have to look into it ;) I've never been able to find a frankincense on its own. It always seems to be coupled with Mur.

19. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Meh. You don't have to use tons of scents and air fresheners and whatnot to make a home smell nice. If you regularly wash hardwood floors and vacuum the carpets, then you're going to notice that odors don't persist in the home. It's all about keeping dirty dishes out of the sink and clutter off the floors or other surfaces. You can use a spray air freshener when necessary, but it's often unnecessary if you keep floors and other surfaces cleaned and spotless.

20. thatnewmommy

Threads:
    Well of course cleaning regularly will avoid odors, but not having odors isn't exactly the same as smelling nice (as in having a nice scent in the air other than the nothingness of "clean"). Plus, it's a little harder when you're raising a family and working and not everyone cooperates. Plus some cleaners make the home smell like hospitals. LOL (I personally can't take citrus smells of some cleaners).