Making A Home Smell Nice

Discussion in Product Reviews started by thatnewmommy • Aug 25, 2015.

1. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We used to buy air fresheners to spray in the living room once in a while. But when we acquired dogs that stayed inside the house, we stopped that practice for the spray and the scent might be toxic to the dogs. Our air freshener now is the pandan leaves. It is not an herb but a plant with aromatic leaves. We harvest some 5 to 10 leaves that we place in an empty vase that would exude a fresh scent in the living room.

2. joshc428

joshc428Active Member

Threads:
    I love scented candles. I've had bad experiences with plug-in air fresheners. Oftentimes they leak, creating an extremely strong smell in the leakage area. The floor areas permanently have a permanent pungent smell of vanilla. It's just too concentrated. On the other hand, scented candles fill up the room quite nicely without risk of this happening. The aesthetic is also very nice.

3. Yosh

YoshActive Member

Threads:
    I love using those scented wax things. I bought a very cheap pack (2 euro) of 15 assorted scents (good for about 12 hours each) from a shop in the Netherlands, and I've been using them ever since. It gives the room a nice subtle, but not too subtle scent of freshness and makes the atmosphere very relaxing. I've found the kind that Yankee candles do to be a little bit nauseating and very perfumy. Also, for the kitchen, I but half a teaspoon of vanilla essence in a small metal container, then put it in the oven at 200°C and just let it evaporate for about 15 or so minutes. It makes the place smell like freshly baked cookies. I've been experimenting with this and my current favourite is vanilla with some orange zest. It can be a little strong though, so I like to air the room out while doing so, to make it subtle.

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I was a big fan of the Yankee Candle plugin air fresheners for several years, but I ultimately had to stop using those because I was wasting too much money on them. Plus all those plugin air fresheners throughout your house take up all the outlets because they are so bulky.

I've also tried the wooden reeds in a bottle of scented liquid, and they work well for the most part. However they tend to evaporate rather quickly, so you will need to have some refills on hand. Another problem I was running into with them is that they are often top heavy, since they are in a narrow bottle with tall reeds sticking out of it, and they have a propensity to tip over and spill. When I had them on my end tables, people were always knocking them over. And when I would put them on a shelf, out of reach, the vibrations of people walking by would still cause them to tip over.

My personal favorite are the scented wax blocks that you warm over tea candles. You can buy the holders for these really cheap at any dollar store. The tea candles are dirt cheap there too, and the waxes last a really long time unlike scented candles which burn away. The waxes can be reheated over and over again many times before they lose their scent. And you don't need to be wasting their fragrance power while you are not home. You only burn the tea candles while you are at home.

5. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't tried these but I might. I tend to burn scented candles and those are my personal favorite. I also occasionally spray air freshner or products like Febreeze. These are my go to products. I do like candles. These are very important to me, I love the soft glow of a candle too.

6. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I have this accentuated sense of smell, so I like nice fragrances in my home. I like the flat fragrance packets for my linen closets. I like to use essential oils and exotic scents. I am going to look for those trash bags you mentioned, because that is a pet peeve of mine.

7. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    Honestly, I use baking soda to eliminate odors. I have problems with chemicals so I can't use fake air fresheners. In fact, over the summer I painted my garage and unfortunately the paint I used was so smelly I had to stop using it because I got sick. The smell seemed to last FOREVER. Finally, I went out and spread a whole bunch of baking soda all over the garage floor and waited a couple of days. It really helped turn the tide and I was able to go out in my garage and breath comfortably after that. Thank goodness.

8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:I spray my home from time to time with disinfectant sprays to keep us healthy like Lysol. I get a little package of lavender potpourri for my bathroom to have a lovely scent. I like the fresh air from the windows blowing into my home. I love smelling cooking so I don't have much scents around my home. I especially love to smell garlic and ginger cooking up. Food scents are my favorite scents to have wafting into my home & living in an apt. we have a lot of cooking scents all the time.

9. paultrump1

paultrump1Member

Threads:
    I think an air purifier doesn't really make the air fresh,it only makes air smells better...The air is still the air

10. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I remember myself arguing with my friends in the past because of food smell around the house.

I believe food scents have the charming of bringing not just a varied aromas but memories attached to them along with warmth sensations.

I never use any aromatic product in the kitchen to let food smell take over the place :)

11. Yosh

YoshActive Member

Threads:
    I can agree with this! There's nothing more welcoming than walking into your home and being greeted by the smell of a good meal or freshly baked goodies!

12. sissibombix

sissibombixMember

Threads:
    I agree with you. I'd rather have my home fragrance free or «clean smelling» like I call it. I tend to get nauseous when smelling the same perfume for a while, so having my home smelling like roses would be a big no-no for me.
    I normally open the windows and let the wind take all the smells away.